Author Topic: Feeling the pinch...  (Read 8973 times)

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
Re: Feeling the pinch...
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »
I agree, the RM2 materials were going for quite a bit as well. I have no problem with the support of RM2/RMC or Harp or any of it. As a matter of fact I came to RMSS just last year. I played RM2 for a long time, but never invested in the RMSS rules.

My point is that even if you want to focus on one system or another, there should still be enough people interested to justify at least low cost production of new materials for the other systems rather then letting them lie fallow.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »
My point is that even if you want to focus on one system or another, there should still be enough people interested to justify at least low cost production of new materials for the other systems rather then letting them lie fallow.

And that would be nice.  But producing new and original RPG materials takes a lot of resources (far more time and money than you may be appreciating).  And, as has been said, ICE is a very, very small company with not an abundance of either to produce material at a speed that would keep everyone happy.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »

New titles for RMSS/FRP have been announced for this year and some new material for RMC (like the combat companion) contains infos on how to use it with RMFRP.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
Same thing here. If you go on ebay and look at the prices of the RMSS companions etc, they are going for a fortune. They are also difficult to get due to the number of bidders. I fail to believe that these people who are paying 60 dollars for the Martial Arts Companion  are doing it simply for collecting. I think they are wanting to use the rules that they couldn't easily come by before the age of the internet.

From what I have understood the problem is twofold when it comes to MAC...
1) ICE does not own the copyright and are not allowed to make new books unless they can sucessfully negotiate with the author.
2) ICE are not merry on the idea to pay much for using the MAC rules since the pricing system with all advanced styles as restricted have bad marginal effects (all styles cost 30 or 60 points).

Ironcrowns decision to develop the ideas that Vroomfogle, me and others have discussed on the forum into what is presented in Combat Companion is probably the better move in long run.

BTW I am pretty sure similar concerns exist for the Arcane Companion and Essence Companion. Uneven quality makes ICE more interested into doing something new than to pay much for products that they think are badly balanced.
/Pa Staav

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »
From what I have understood the problem is twofold when it comes to MAC...
1) ICE does not own the copyright and are not allowed to make new books unless they can sucessfully negotiate with the author.

No one can find Steve Danielson, more to the point, or we'd be able to negotiate with him.

BTW I am pretty sure similar concerns exist for the Arcane Companion and Essence Companion. Uneven quality makes ICE more interested into doing something new than to pay much for products that they think are badly balanced.

Essence Companion has returned via TGC's commercial arm.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

Btw, my Google-fu found a Steve Danielson with an Amazon page which is fairly fantasy heavy - perhaps it is him?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/ASK651WSEN4NB

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

Btw, my Google-fu found a Steve Danielson with an Amazon page which is fairly fantasy heavy - perhaps it is him?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/ASK651WSEN4NB

Ciao,
Old Man

I sent this to The Guild Companion in case it is him. Hopefully it is and they can hammer out a deal that works for both of them and get the info to the fans.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »

Don't worry, in time you shall grow quite tired from all the screaming, specially with the massive pro RM2 crowd on board here.  Then you can settle into a deep resentment mollified by constant attempts at positive thinking.  I am here if you need me.

The flux like state of the RM titles is what it is, the crazy scheme the new ICE is stuck with as it rebuilds a fan base and tries to be successful. 

To be fair (to us!) there was a heck of a long time when our preferred game was abandoned and at least some of us (like me!) were at the boards anyhow. I even own RMSS, so it's not like I didn't support the company financially despite them abandoning the game I loved and replacing it with one I don't even much like. I am sure a bunch of other RM2ers bought at least some of the RMSS/FRP material, too.

However, I think that both camps should now be happy enough, because the core products (at the least) for both systems are available for ever and ever in electronic form amen (and presumably for as long as there is an ICE, they can do print runs of appropriate size for the demand for each individual product to sell hard copy). In the short term I guess that the regenesis of RM2 sucked up some oxygen (but why begrudge us that? We kept the faith despite being ignored and neglected for a decade) but presumably the time is coming when ICE focus their efforts according to what sells best and/or what dual-system products they can produce. I can imagine that economic realities leave both camps unsatisfied in some sense -- some of us would like more modules but they may not be profitable enough to produce many, whilst others will want a whole bunch of other products that won't appear or whose appearance will be slowed by economic realities -- but that's probably the nature of tabletop gaming nowadays for nearly everyone.

As for the forum makeup I personally think that there are an inexplicable number of RMSS/FRPers here, although at least they'll be around for me to blame in the final minutes before the asteroid strikes. However, ICE know what their sales figures are and they'll presumably follow them, so the prevalence of comments on these forums are presumably only loosely correlated to what actually happens (assuming that most of ICE's customer base aren't posting here, which must be the case for the company to support three full-time staff, I would imagine). Whichever camp that favours (and I have no idea which that will be, as I haven't penetrated the top-secret ICE underground headquarters to launch a close-quarters attack on their supercomputers), the other camp can't really blame ICE much, given the problems they've had and their need to follow the money to survive.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »
smug,
 I allways thought there are/were more RM2 fans on the boards. Or maybe they are just more vocal. But then again I bet some of the RM2 crowd has fealt the same about the RMSS/FRP group.

The only problem I can see just looking at the boards with two groops is someone can get the wrong info unless they state the rules system they use and the poster pays attention to that. 

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
I am a RM2 player.  Heck, started with the big box version of RM were everything was a single card board sheet.

But as I said, I am tired.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.