Author Topic: Specialty Priests  (Read 2940 times)

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Specialty Priests
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
One of the things I liked most about the transisiton from D&D 2E to 3.X was the inclusion of Domains for the Cleric which allowed you to distinguish between a priest of the fire god and the goddess of horses.  Has anyone done something similar for RM?  A search of the forums revealed only a single thread (archived) devoted to this.

My first thought was simply to replace one the of Base Lists with a different list.  For example, a Cleric/Priest of the fire god might gain Fire Law which would replace one of the professions's normal base lists.  But I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around all the potential problems/issues this might bring up.  Any thoughts?

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Specialty Priests
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »
I suggest looking at the Channeling Companion where it has many differernt priest spells to chose from.  The lists are also a little watered down to avoid balance issues.

It also has the mythic class which is one of my favorites.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »
Just as Mocking Bird sais: Channeling Companion is the book for you!
IMHO is one of the best RMFRP manuals, very useful! Among other things it has rules for creating specialty priests (not only as Pure Users, but also as Semi, Hybrid and Non-Users!) and lots of new lists.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
Yes, the Channeling Companion is exactly what you want.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
<<and available at the ICE store>>
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
<<and available at the ICE store>>

and here is the link... http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_36&products_id=272

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
Just as a heads up, this idea actually predates 3E D&D by quite a bit. The Dragonlance book for original AD&D had it, as did, I believe, the first Forgotten Realms box set.

Your friendly neighbourhood RPG history geek :)

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »
Yes, this idea isn't new - even to RM.
"RoCo I" (available as pdf from The Guild Companion) has it also in a first version:
Cleric's Law.

PS: I know it is the wrong thread (RMSS/FRP)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com