Author Topic: Most creative spell use  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Macavite

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Most creative spell use
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
I was wondering what experience everyone else has had with players using spells (or skills I suppose) in very creative and unusual ways.

A couple session ago my players were in a bind.  They were breaking into a remote mountain fortress.  Approaching the vault, the bard fumbled her surprise-action controlling song.  As a result, one of the guards had the opportunity to draw the crystal hanging around his heck, and poised to throw it to the ground.  The players surmised, correctly, that breaking the crystal would trigger an alarm.  The paladin couldn't get there in time, there was just too much ground to cover in snap.  The players all had a moment at the end of snap to ponder before I stated "The guard throws the crystal to the ground".  The party mage pipes up.  "Umm . . . would you consider that an attack?".  I thought about it a second.  "Sure, I'll give you that.  The guard is attacking the stome floor with the crystal . . . why?"  The mage states, "Well then, I Deflect the attack."

He pretty much saved the party from certain doom.

Later on in the next session, the player were fleeing the fortress guards with their stolen artifact.  They made it to their boats, but one boat had trouble paddling out into the surf, and the guards had a chance to line up and begin to ready their muskets (the PC's found, and picked a fight with, one of the pockets of renaissance-era tech in my world).  The Paladin worships the god of fire, and had had these weapons explained to her.  She asked me "Would the charges they carry be considered light sources".  I thought about this one a little longer.  "Sure, in that they have fuses, and are designed to be lit.  Functionally they're no different than a candle or lantern".  "In that case, I use the last of my power points to cast Ignite".  She collapses in the boat, and the charges the bad guys are tamping down into their guns, and carrying on their belts, go off.  Pow!  PowPowPow!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Most creative spell use
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
In both cases very lenient GM decisions, but creative spell usages indeed  ::).

Btw., there is a similar old thread "Misuse of spells" where you can find similar "creative" spell usages.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
 In a game I have used freeze liqued to get out of many situations, or I should say into many situations.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:57:54 AM »
"Umm . . . would you consider that an attack?".  I thought about it a second.  "Sure, I'll give you that.  The guard is attacking the stome floor with the crystal . . . why?"  The mage states, "Well then, I Deflect the attack."

Yes, but remember that it 'deflects' the attack, not inmovilize the objetc (I think telekinesis is used for that), so that object probably is shattered against a near wall or another place in the floor (deflected from its original path), producing the sound.

In a game I have used freeze liqued to get out of many situations, or I should say into many situations.

Yes, as inmovilizing a foe in water (surely dies for no breath if you cover him completely) or convert a 'water wall' into 'ice wall' with duration.

I use 'freeze solid' to extinguish a fire, simply freezing the fire base (as using an extinguisher); or 'boil liquid' to prepare infusions in runtime (few minutes, so infusion herbs are very much usefull); 'heat solid' to rapidly melt an 'ice wall'; 'fog' if there are many foes using missile, so combat is decided in melee; there are many of them.

Too, there is a combination that can make almost invincible in combat, but I don't mention it here because then GMs can desperate in many combats. It requires medium level and profession requisites.

Offline Macavite

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »
regarding the deflect spell, you know, deflecting. 

Actually I did take that into account, I gave the crystal a higher chance of resisting breaking, where it needed to open end before the spell, after a -100 to the attack (turning a vertical drop into a horozontal skitter) it had a reasonable chance to not break, and it succeeded in it's own little resistance roll.

What I wish I'd done is made the Paladin make a spell mastery roll to apply the ignite spell.  She's got the skill, I just didn't force the skill check.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
Recently we looted a pirate ship - as they thought my character was their mysterious captain the Swan similar to Dred Pirate Roberts.  Arcanist spell shaped a teleport into a wall where we just tossed the loot through it and onto our boat - which did take a lot of power points - and then another character cast portal (I think that was the spell) to essentially open a big hole in the side at the waterline to sink the ship.

This is one reason why we are terrified of water encounters - real easy to sink ships with magic, much more difficult to swim a few dozen miles to shore.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
[quote author=Dark Schneider Too, there is a combination that can make almost invincible in combat, but I don't mention it here because then GMs can desperate in many combats. It requires medium level and profession requisites.
[/quote]

Oh! Please do tell!

DonMoody

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
Summon I to summon a squid (or octopus)  :)

Spell Mastery to make it travel 60 mph  ???

Directed Animal skill (same price as directed spells)  :o

The result: Squid Bolt.   ;)

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:01:30 AM »
Squid bolt is funny?  A woman was just killed when a large sting ray leaped from the water and struck her, knocking her down in the boat and killing her (they believe from the impact of hitting the deck).

Open ended attack with 00 crit; rare, but effective.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:26:20 AM »
Reminds me of so many cartoon scenes - Simpsons for example, just seen Frink being attacked by one. Hilarious idea. Keeps the opponent occupied ... and the rest disgusted.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
Or the part from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with the whale.

But I must say spell mastering a squid to 60mph is quite a feat.  But on the good side, calamari for everybody!!!!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha