Author Topic: Greave-ous question...  (Read 3491 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Greave-ous question...
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:17 PM »
The equipment list in Character Law says that arm and leg greaves protect vs. arm and leg crits.  How so?  I can't seem to fine any other notes on the subject.

For that matter, what am I missing about helms?  You can get them, but what benefit do they carry?

Thanks in advance!

Keith
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Greave-ous question...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
There are loads of specific crit references to "Strike to arm, if no armor, arm severed, if metal armor, bruised arm -20, if non metal armor deep cut, bleed 4/round."

That kind of thing. . .along with many similar helmet situational critical results. I love those. . .in fact, if I had any say, I'd put one of those into every critical box.

On the other hand, there was an optional rule in RM2 that allowed greaves to negate crits to the limbs. . .it's in the "Q&A" section of RM2 CL.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »
Ah!  That's why I missed it.  I was looking for some rules section talking about greaves and helms, and some reduction of crits (I figured it would have been similar to that optional you mentioned).  I wasn't looking in the actual crit charts.  Explains all.

Thanks!
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:45:30 AM »
There are loads of specific crit references to "Strike to arm, if no armor, arm severed, if metal armor, bruised arm -20, if non metal armor deep cut, bleed 4/round."

That kind of thing. . .along with many similar helmet situational critical results. I love those. . .in fact, if I had any say, I'd put one of those into every critical box.

On the other hand, there was an optional rule in RM2 that allowed greaves to negate crits to the limbs. . .it's in the "Q&A" section of RM2 CL.

I apologize for bringing this back up again, but I just want to make sure I'm clear on this (a friend of mine chanllenged it and I want to make sure I was presenting the intent correctly).

This is to say that, unless the crit result specifically states some involvement of armor, greaves and helms provide absolutely no added benefit (except, of course, that the addition of greaves takes you up an AT type in a couple cases).  Other than the optional rule you mentioned in RM2 they do not, by default, reduce stunning or bleeding unless stated specifically.  Is that correct?

I'm thinking this fella is remembering some obscure optional rule from one of the supplements from way back when (he's taking it beyone even the optional rule in RM2).  Either that or he's trying to swindle me.  ;D
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:07:18 AM »
This is to say that, unless the crit result specifically states some involvement of armor, greaves and helms provide absolutely no added benefit (except, of course, that the addition of greaves takes you up an AT type in a couple cases).

Correct.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »
This is to say that, unless the crit result specifically states some involvement of armor, greaves and helms provide absolutely no added benefit (except, of course, that the addition of greaves takes you up an AT type in a couple cases).

Correct.

Okay.  ;D

Thx
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »
Only other bennie I can think of for greaves is if you're in unarmed combat vs a weapon.

If you have a "blocking object" you parry with full unarmed OB:DB at 1:1, if not, you parry at 2:1 and loose half. . .

Greaves are sufficiant to count as a "blocking object" in unarmed vs armed combat.

Offline lev_lafayette

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
Only other bennie I can think of for greaves is if you're in unarmed combat vs a weapon.

If you have a "blocking object" you parry with full unarmed OB:DB at 1:1, if not, you parry at 2:1 and loose half. . .

Greaves are sufficiant to count as a "blocking object" in unarmed vs armed combat.

And with sufficient ranks you can parry lightning bolts like Wonder Woman  ;D
RPG Review. Free 'zine. Worth reading.
My livejournal.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
Laugh point for you Lev. . .nah, you need a shield like captain america to parry lightningbolts.

Offline JBHemlock

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »
The other thing with greaves is that (at least in RM2, which is what I'm using) they change the armor type.  A chain shirt is AT 13, for example.  Add greaves, and you're at AT 14, which modifies all the damage and crits you receive.

Oh, hello, by the way.  First post for me.  I ran RM games back in the late 80s, and now that my kids are getting towards being teenagers, they want me to play it with them.  Fun fun fun! ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »
JBHemlock,
 Welcome to the boards.

I use a house rule in which grieves and helms do provide a small bonus to DB. Also if they are made of better material I give 1/3 of the bonus to DB if a greave or 1/2 the bonus if a healm. But as I said above this is a house rule form my old RM2 days.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.