Author Topic: RR modifiers for creatures  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Urbannen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RR modifiers for creatures
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:25:26 AM »
My GM couldn't find any RR modifiers for the creatures in the monster book.

We just played it that the creatures didn't get a stat modifier to resist my character's spell. 

Is that correct?  Or are there stat modifiers for creatures hiding someplace?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RR modifiers for creatures
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
That was a good way to handle it.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
All creatures in the book are considered average specimens of the species, so most stats would be 45-65, thus no bonus.

A GM can always make exceptions.  I use to use the table that showed hits and ext pts gained per level over average level as a guideline for the creatures other stats too, but now I just fudge it as I deem necessary, say roll d100 for present creature, 1-25 below average (minus a few points), 26-75 average (as is) and 75+ exceptional (add to hits, OB, etc).  I use less and less tables in play to keep the flow.

I consider most animals susceptable to magic and assign a -15 mod to all RR's, as in the flaw.  BUT I AM VERY PLAYER BIASED.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:48:11 AM »
For calculated stat bonuses from stats alone that is fine... but what about racial stat bonuses?

Surely this should have been included as an extention of the standard stat block?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
Creatures do not need racial stat mods...unless the GM thinks so.  Then the GM should just assign them to fit his perception of the creature in his world.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Urbannen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
Believe me, the armor-covered worg did not need any bonuses to help it resist my 2nd-level animist's Animal Sleep I spell! 

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
Wait till you meet a warg with a bite of sharpeness...level 8 rr or any limb indicated in crit is severed!

FYI...severed limbs bleed at 10hits a round and result in death in 12 rounds.

lynn

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
Is that a house rule Yammer? (Severed limbs)
JBailey

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:52 PM »
 The death in 12 rnds from severed limb is from the crit charts. I think I saw the 10/rnd thing in a comp or something.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »
The rule is deduced from the crit tables and used for weapons of sharpness in my game.

lynn

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
We see it as the RR bonuses are actually represented in the level of the monster which might be higher than their stats or abilities might represent.

When a stat is requied for a con or strength check we make something up depending on the creature.  In that case we have been known to pull out the stat mods for 'creatures as PC's' and use those if it is handy.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Sho

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
I think there should be Racial RR Mods for C&M. For example, the typical "Dragons are almost never affected by Magic" means... +100 to their RR against every Realm? (maybe a little less for Arcane : D Arcane rules). More? Less?

So this issue is completely up to the GM. This seems to be D&D or something worse. x'''D A pity in RM. IMO, some guidelines would be great.

RoleMaster 4life

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:11:27 PM »
Remember that level plays a big part in what the creature needs to resist - if it is a creature that is much higher level than the average individual of the world (PCs are aberrations in this regard) than it will not need a huge bonus to be "nearly impossible to affect." A +30 to +50 would do it just fine. I would put most people in the 10th - 15th level range (though the majority of the population is Laymen so it isn't as nasty as it sounds) so creatures that are 20th+ are pretty-hard to affect through RRs (needing anywhere from a 15 to a 30 to resist respectively, so a bonus of even +15 would make it "just don't roll a critically low" in one case).

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
I would count being 60th level as pretty resistant to magic - although some pretty lucky BAR's can equal that score pretty quickly.  For example a +10 RR is essentially +2 levels but a BAR result of -45 is a 9 level jump.

Rather than a straight RR stat bonus - a BAR penalty?  While I can see it a little more complicated than an RR bonus conceptually it does follow along the lines of a 'realm DB' vs. 'realm OB' of the spell caster.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »
Yeah, 60th level is definately "resistant" to magic (or poison or fear or whatever). The negative modifier to the BAR usually means that the spellcaster has rolled really well so it is OK. They should be rewarded for doing well (i.e. by making it harder for their target to resist).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.