Author Topic: Major and Minor healing  (Read 4104 times)

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Major and Minor healing
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:29:47 PM »
Hello All,

Can Minor healing (and to some extent Major healing), be cast multiple times on a person to get rid of a wound that the base spell cant heal?

Ie: Minor heal at base PP allows you to heal 1/4 of HP, up to 3Bleeders (IIRC) and -15 of Manuever penalties.

If I have -55 made up of -20, -20 and -15 then can I cast it four times and have no Manuever penalty?
(and successive times to heal the HP and Bleeder damage)?

I recall something being discussed about this when Healing first came out but I cant recall even what topic it came up in...

Thanks in advance..
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Dr_Sage

Re: Major and Minor healing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »
I believe it was asked before and the response was yes, it can be recast.

Of course I could be mistaken, but indeed healing spells are powerfull and usefull.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »
This has been discussed ad naseum :P
It boils down to house rules... however, I think the HARP FAQ and Errata document by Obi-wan? :-\ contains the discussion on this subject...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »
Hi,

I've looked for the FAQ that contains any info regarding healing but to no avail.

On the Harphq.com website I've found the FAQ and errata but it contains no information regarding spells.
On these forums there is no spells FAQ/Errata.
Under the player section on harphq there is no faq/errata.

Does anyone have a link to the supposed Healing FAQ/errata?

I'm wanting to know if the Minor healing has any downside to the Major Healing?
Is it RESTRICTED to healing ONLY Light penalties or can it only heal Minor penalties on the individual cast, thus healing any wound on multiple castings?

(From an official view - I realize that any GM can make there own house rules - I was hoping Rasyr might make an appearance....)

Thanks.
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Kenstrel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bbbbb-harg !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:15:25 PM »
On this FAQ document :

HARP Fan compiled errata & FAQ

Iceland, The French Fan Site For I.C.E.  ;D

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
IIRC you cannot use minor healing to heal to only heal part of a maneuver penalty, i.e. if the penalty is over 20 you need major heal, and by extension to bleeds - if a wound is over 5 you need MH for it.  Otherwise you have made major healing a pointless spell as you could use multiple castings of mH for everything.

The fuzzy area I have found is that the spells heal the penalty but they also imply you need two effects/castings for many wounds.  For example you have a broken bone and -20 : if you heal the bone you still have the -20 or if you heal the -20 you have a broken bone but no penalty.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
For example you have a broken bone and -20 : if you heal the bone you still have the -20 or if you heal the -20 you have a broken bone but no penalty.
That's why you need the scaling options. Bigger injury, more magic needed. So, the implication is not that one needs 2 castings, but one casting with more power in it.
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Does that meant that if you can't scale to get the 'two in one' casting you can't fix the wound?  If so it would limit the spell by making you heal the entirety of the wound at once (thereby requiring more ranks) which many people seem to want.  However even so, a shattered bone with a -50 penalty still can be done by a 3rd level character with 10 ranks in the spell.

The big question seems to be what exactly was imiplied since there is a lot of inferring going on. 
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline kasalin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
Maybe change the definition of Minor Healing to something more like this:

Minor Healing

When cast on wounds considered Light Wounds (per Chapter 9 of core rules book), Minor Healing provides for:

1)  Reduction of manuever penalty by 10 points
2)  Reduces bleeding by 2 points per round
3)  Heals 10% of targets concussion hits.

Scaling

+3 PP  =  Double the items from above
+6 PP  =  Triple the items from above
+7 PP  =  Stabilize Target that has received Death in X rounds wound; provides no additional healing of the wounds that caused death in X rounds result.

By using something more like the above, all the symptoms/effects of the wound are treated simultaneously, but the healing starts at a reduced rate. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:40:35 AM by kasalin »
* No good deed goes unpunished

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
Does that meant that if you can't scale to get the 'two in one' casting you can't fix the wound?  If so it would limit the spell by making you heal the entirety of the wound at once (thereby requiring more ranks) which many people seem to want.

Right, at least that's how I read it. I admit, it is interpretation that you can't recast the spell. To me, it makes sense (same with lore skills - if you don't know something, you can't just repeat it until it works. By the same logic, you could try until you fail, but no: The dice decide), but still: It isn't stated anywhere officially.

There are 2 concepts behind how one understands the spell:
a) I put magic into it, which does something good.
This would be repeatable. Some skills work like that, using the percentage column (e.g., pulling someone up, a tug-war, ...). Repeat until finished.
b) I try to heal a wound to the best of my abilities. The roll decides how successful I am (as with any skill roll, see above).
This isn't repeatable. If something is too difficult for a certain skill level, it can't be done. If a wound is too severe for your magical skill, you can't heal it. If a book is written too complicated you can't read it. If an item is too complex to attune to, you can't crack it. This is a fundamental structure in the whole game system, so I don't see why healing with a spell should work so differently.

By the way, Kasalin, your option makes the difference between Major and Minor Healing simply a headstart. I think this is unbalancing for the priest profession.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »
This isn't repeatable. If something is too difficult for a certain skill level, it can't be done. If a wound is too severe for your magical skill, you can't heal it. If a book is written too complicated you can't read it. If an item is too complex to attune to, you can't crack it. This is a fundamental structure in the whole game system, so I don't see why healing with a spell should work so differently.

I think you just made a convert.  You heal it or you don't.  RM had a 'middle' option where the wound was healed after a certain amount of time immobile - all HARP healing is instant.  I would make bleeding an exception to this however - for example broken bone, penalty and bleed, you could heal the bleed separately.

Oh well, tackling healing along with clarifying the crit tables (i.e. making the wording and penalty be more consistent) has been on my to do list for about two years when I got ML.

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »
I think you just made a convert.  You heal it or you don't.  RM had a 'middle' option where the wound was healed after a certain amount of time immobile - all HARP healing is instant. 

:D Yahoo, I'm a converter! Concerning instantness: You might want to take a look at WoeRie's options in regard to healing time after healing spells. We all liked them a lot, because they (a) add 1 more tactical component to combat, (b) feel more realistic and (c) make players care about their characters health more.

Cheers!