Author Topic: HARP: too few spells?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Spellsinger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
HARP: too few spells?
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:45:17 AM »
Does HARP has to few spells? There are only a couple of spells in
the core book and not much more in college of magics - I do not
own The Codex.

Are there any resources for additional spells? I also think that there are too few high level spells which you can take at higher levels (exept for scaling options).

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:55:09 AM by Spellsinger »

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
Re: HARP: too few spells?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:09 AM »
At the moment, we've got 401 different spells for HARP.

Sources are:

• HARP - High Adventure Role Playing
  • College of Magics
  • Loot, A Field Guide
  • HARP Codex
  • Hack & Slash
  • HARPer's Bazaar 2, 5 & 6
  • HARPer's Grimoire
.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »
Also, scaling options are something that enhances the magic system a lot for me. In rolemaster, one scalable spell could have been realized as a whole list. Major Healing is a good example.

I've never played really high level characters, but as "mundane" skills max out after 20 ranks or so, I find it only fair that spells do too. High level spells might possibly affect game balance. I read somewhere on the forum that after level 30 characters aren't going to evolve, but tend to get broader, less specialized. A new profession, maybe, but not that many additional ranks in any one skill/ spell.

You can only get that cool  8)

Jan
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:54 AM »
I've got a player complaining about that on a regular basis but that is just because we have played Rolemaster for about 15 years before and the most remembered campaign group consisted of two Archmages, a Tarot Mage, a Lay Healer and a couple of Semis. So, loads of magic there. And now in HARP he is playing a rogue and the other three are a Cleric, a Healer (own profession), and a ranger. So, this time a lot of magic but not that different magic.

To be honest I don't take those complaints seriously because the spells in HARP are basically the same you've got in Rolemaster with the difference that you don't learn a list but instead scale you spell. Rolemaster has the slight advantage that you can learn more spell more quickly ... that's at least what I think at the moment, haven't got proof for that.

As for ressources you only need CoM: Create you own spells! WAY better than RM where there weren't really working rules how to create a new spell. (Yes, yes, in RMCV there was spell research but come on that was NOTHING compared to the rules in CoM!)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Dr_Sage

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »
HARP has enough Spells.

Every HARP Spell works in a very different way a DnD Spell works. From the example above, Major Healing is a great example:

* It starts like a Heal Moderate Wounds;
* Can be used from range like the DnD Prestige Alility;
* Progress to Heal Critical Wounds;
* Become HEAL Spell;
* Then become Heal with a lot of Feat effects;
* Can be used to effectvely prevent death with has no dirrect comparison to DnD.

So basicaly a good spell caster usually knows a handfull of spells, with somethimes can be boring indeed, BUT he is the only one with that particular knowloge. It gives a sense of uniquiness to our spellcasters in the party.

This way spellcasters can become legendary for their spells.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
I certainly think that HARP has plenty of spells! As has already been mentioned, the scaling options really make the difference! I also love the rules for creating spells from CoM! I think that the magic system as a whole really sets HARP apart as superior to so many other games.
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.