Author Topic: Special Starting Items Question  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Special Starting Items Question
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
Hello,

I have a character in my group that choose to be a noble in the Special Starting Items section of character creation.  Now I don't mind her having nobility but what do other GM suggest as guild lines?  Whats a good starting gold, equipment and armor.  I am having her move away from her family in order her to interact with the other players, but wanted it to be fair and balanced with them as well.  Any suggestions?

Z

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Re: Special Starting Items Question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Perhaps she is from a deposed family... or a ruling clan unliked by the populace because of high taxes, repression, etc...or distantly related to a noble.

Martial Law contains some useful social standing and class information... hold on a sec...

ML lists Upper Class starting money as 10 + 2d10 platinum pcs.
ML also contains mastercraft and magical material armor and weapons that are EXPENSIVE!

If you don't have a copy, I suggest you get one!
Otherwise, use your best judgment and suite it towards whatever background the PC has. Remember, wealth doesn't mean coins and items... perhaps a warhorse, or land, or a small manor, ...
It's really up to you and the player
Sorry this hasn't been much help :-\
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »
Other ways you can handle character nobility is to make them the 2nd or 3rd born. They aren't directly going to recieve the throne so they typically are more free to do as they wish, which is suiting for the adventuring lifestyle.

Another thing you can do to avoid giving sheer monetary inheritance is contacts and favors. Put the worth of what they may have in favors they could redeem. Perhaps he/she is recognizable by the family line through looks or a signet. This could be good or bad depending on the reputation of the characters parents!

Just a few ideas that could still make the character feel noble without just having a huge bank account or flashy gear.

Dr_Sage

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
My only tip:

If he is noble, b ut won?t receive any benefit of it, make just a note on the character background.

Now if hes going to see some real advantages, like:

* The right to speak to scheddule appointments with the Nobility.
* Being invited to events like parties, dinners etc.
* Special legal rights, like nobles can only be judged by nobles, or noble cannot be arrested by the common militia.

Remmember Nobility must be advantage in order to soct DPs, but usually its a social advantage, not necessarily a monetary one. The son of a rich merchant can have way better starting equipment.

Personaly I would charge extra DPs for Masterwork gear (+5 bonus weapon, or PP adders for example).

In my current game the party?s Knight used his nobility at least 3 important times during the campaign, and the most important one was keeping the party out of an arranged/fixed evil arrest.

Remmember: in medieval societies you do NOT have acess to the Royal Family, specially to the King if you are not a noble. But if you do not plan to use these limitations to the common folk, I suggest do not charge for the Nobility in DPs, charge only for any special starting itens.

Best regards.

drsmitty

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 01:22:18 AM »
What is a noble lady doing running around with a bunch of base born commoners?  She could be on the run for some reason, and thus might not have two silver pennies to rub together.  But, as others have pointed out, her social privilege could be worth a lot, particularly if your game world is more traditionally medieval. 

She could also have some wealth, but it could be in somewhat useless items like fine clothing, perfumes, a few pieces of jewelry, various trinkets, etc., the sort of stuff a lady of noble lineage might possess - but nothing that would upset the balance of the game with the other players.  If she insists on her right to excessive starting wealth, then I?m sure the local thieves guild could always help lighten her purse a little? ;)

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
Thanks for the comments, the character is currently working on her back story.  The setting I am using is Ptolus, which for the most part Urban Fantasy.  Those who know Ptolus she is playing a Cherubim Elf Shadowblade.  I will keep everyone posted as soon a receive something from the player.

Z