Author Topic: How long do charm spells last?  (Read 497 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How long do charm spells last?
« on: October 04, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »
Two PCs in my game have been charmed. They were deceived into being healed by a lvl 15 spell user who charmed them as well as healed them.
Is the spell Permanent but they get a new RR every day or every week?
Does the level of the caster matter?
If the characters were not aware they are charmed do they still get to make a RR?
Maybe the spell can only be dispelled by someone else who notices a change in the characters behaviour?
Thoughts?

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How long do charm spells last?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 04:22:41 PM »
Thoughts?

Just checked ... of Essence.  Charm Kind, from the Spirit Mastery list, lasts one hour per level.  The corresponding Mentalist spell (see Mind Control, page 33 in ?of Mentalism) lasts ten minutes per level.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »
Isn't the duration listed in the spell description?  Which flavor of RM are you using?
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 04:31:32 PM »
Isn't the duration listed in the spell description?  Which flavor of RM are you using?
RM 2nd Edition.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 08:06:40 PM »
Two PCs in my game have been charmed. They were deceived into being healed by a lvl 15 spell user who charmed them as well as healed them.
Is the spell Permanent but they get a new RR every day or every week?

RM2 Spell Law gives a duration of 10 min/lvl for Charm Kind. I don't think there's a mind control spell with an ambiguous duration until Mind Slave True, 20th level on Mind Domination. An RR every day or week might be reasonable there.

Does the level of the caster matter?

It affects the difficulty of the RR but not the frequency of tries.

If the characters were not aware they are charmed do they still get to make a RR?

I would say the opposite. The characters are not aware they have been charmed until they make an RR. The spell prevents them from knowing.

Maybe the spell can only be dispelled by someone else who notices a change in the characters behaviour?
Thoughts?

Dispel in RM2 is generally on a radius, other versions might be on a person or object, but I don't think you are ever dispelling one particular spell. If it gets cast, there is a chance of removing the charm. I wouldn't let another PC cast it based on out of game knowledge, but if a dispel happens for some other reason there you go.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster