Author Topic: ERA - inputing high level characters  (Read 1408 times)

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA - inputing high level characters
« on: December 25, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
I have been looking through the posts on ERA and haven't been able to find anything on how to add existing characters to ERA. Do I have to create them from 0th level and level up to the current level then edit the char sheet to put the right number of ranks in each skill?
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA - inputing high level characters
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
I have been looking through the posts on ERA and haven't been able to find anything on how to add existing characters to ERA. Do I have to create them from 0th level and level up to the current level then edit the char sheet to put the right number of ranks in each skill?

You can do it either way. For NPCs I've always just leveled them, but I believe to input the data you would just level up the necessary number of times without spending the dev points. Then edit each skill to input the right number of ranks. You can also skip stat gain rolls, and then manually adjust the temp stats.

If you are creating a new high level character the advantage of leveling up the long way is that it will ensure the character is built in keeping with the rules, and you get a detailed record of each level up stored as a part of the character.

If you are inputting already existing NPCs or PCs, then without detailed records of the characters prior stat gain results, the dev points available at each level won't match how the character was originally built. At that point working within the ERA level up mechanics is very likely to result in something different from what's on the existing character sheet. Your best option for that type of character is manual entry.

You can always create a test character in ERA and then mess around with manual input first to make sure it all works right.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
There is one detail I forgot to mention. I don't think you can alter the concussion hits without editing the .xml file for the character. The alternative to .xml editing is to use the body development mechanics by adding ranks and entering concussion hits.

I've never tried this, but you could try adding 1 rank of body development, and then add something off the wall like 100 when prompted for the dice roll on a level 1 test character to see if you can just add the necessary base hits in one shot for character you want to input.

If ERA rejects that you're either going to need to edit the .xml to change the base hits, or add ranks of BD at each level up, then enter a number based on the race hit die and number of ranks.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
I'm not sure if I've said this before, but in case you need a high level NPC and don't want to go through all the leveling up trouble, the simplest way in the current version is to do a fast pass using the character creation wizard (mostly for race and profession, leave stats and adolescence/hobby untouched) then open the created XML file with any text editor and change the "level" value near the beginning of the file to the one you want.
Then you open the character with the Character Sheet module, and edit the number of ranks for the skills you will be needing. The same can be done for hits. You can change the special column on the Body Development skill.

Let us know if that works for you, and thanks for your interest in ERA!