Author Topic: Rolemaster Classic cracks top 10 on Fantasy Grounds  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster Classic cracks top 10 on Fantasy Grounds
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:44:02 AM »
This interesting little article was posted on ENWorld, noting the usage stats for Fantasy Grounds. I was pleasantly surprised to see Rolemaster Classic crack the top 10: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3507-Who-s-Playing-What-on-Fantasy-Grounds

I was also a little surprised to see Classic as the main Rolemaster game in town, as opposed to RMSS/FRP. I guess it shows that there are still a lot of people (a majority?) who prefer the RM2 style of Rolemaster to the RMSS one?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Classic cracks top 10 on Fantasy Grounds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
From my experience, that is likely true. In my experience, most people who play Rolemaster here in Germany have done so since the 1990s, using the fine synthetic leader books from a company that no longer has the license. I was astonished to learn that the new German translation that published a lot of books from 2007 on was based not on Classic, but on RMFRP... their books are really, beau-ti-ful, hardcover, full-color tomes, covering basically everything, including the Channeling companion, but most older groups did not get the "new source for books" that they had hoped for.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
No. There's a much simpler explanation. Only the RM Classic ruleset has been given an official Fantasy Grounds rules set. That's nothing to do with the popularity of RM Classic but due to the timing of when the rules set was created and the time availability of the developers.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
No. There's a much simpler explanation. Only the RM Classic ruleset has been given an official Fantasy Grounds rules set. That's nothing to do with the popularity of RM Classic but due to the timing of when the rules set was created and the time availability of the developers.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Awww darn.  That's a perfectly good explanation and made me erase the reply I was about to post LOL.

I was going to expand on Thot's post a bit.  We started out with RM, then RM 2.  When RMSS came out, a good number of us had heavily invested in the RM2 books and buying all new books (on college student income) was extremely difficult.  That's not to say we didn't get the books, we just didn't play it much at all.  There were some excellent improvements, but it never caught on with us and then we started to graduate and move on.  RM2 is still my favorite incarnation of the game system and I would eagerly search out an RM2 session over an RMSS session any given day.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
Bought the original stand alone Arms Law, all the RM Classic books and all the RMSS/RMFRP books. Pity that Battlegrounds only has the RM 2 rules set.

I've been using 3DVTT for an online battle-mat (that's all it does). Any body else use it? It needs a lot of work still but is still pretty useful.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Well, I stand corrected; thanks for the explanation Nicholas. I thought something was odd when I saw only RM Classic listed, and nothing for RMSS.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle