Author Topic: Character Software Companion - Any Interest?  (Read 23543 times)

Offline stefou

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Character Software Companion - Any Interest?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 12:20:59 PM »
I too am sadened by John's death.  I have been trying to find the RM character software companion (and enjoyed using the beta Harp CSC as well) for months.

I think making the software available again is a great idea.  That was a good program, and a lot of work obviously went into it...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »
I am sorry to hear about John passing away.

I do have some info on the RM program. John told me that he had found a bug in the program because of the FileMaker software and he would have to recode the character generator from the begining. I do not know if this was true or not as this came out after after he decideed to not sell the program any more. I can also say that I have had no problem with the software since I used it but it sounded like it was going to be a big problem. I went back to try and find the e-mail he sent me about the bug but it was on an old computer that has now gone the way of the do-do bird. I will continue to look as I have some info on removable hard drives and it might be thier as I try and keep most of the e-mails for programs I buy.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 10:49:51 PM »
John told me that he had found a bug in the program because of the FileMaker software

Yes, John and I spoke about this bug.  It was a problem with Filemaker 6.  For some reason, some files (including the CSC) that were created on Filemaker 5 would not work with the newer version of Filemaker.  This was resolved when Filemaker 7 came out, so I am pretty sure it is a non-issue. 

Steve
There was no deity involved.  It was my cross-circuiting to B...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »
John told me that he had found a bug in the program because of the FileMaker software

Yes, John and I spoke about this bug.  It was a problem with Filemaker 6.  For some reason, some files (including the CSC) that were created on Filemaker 5 would not work with the newer version of Filemaker.  This was resolved when Filemaker 7 came out, so I am pretty sure it is a non-issue. 

Steve

Thats good. Because the way I remember the e-mail he was really bumed about the bug and all the recoding he would have to do and the problem did not seam like a small one.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline stefou

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 03:34:10 AM »
Has there been any new development on this topic?  I would dearly like to have this generator to prepare my characters for my upcoming game.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
I have given the files for the CSC to someone with experience with Filemaker.  Hopefully, we will get things set up fairly soon.  (There was a slight problem getting the files to him at first.  Apparently, I am SPAM.) 

The problems we currently have are these:

1.  We need to disable the requirement for a code key, since we are making it freeware.

2.  We need to find out which files are needed so we can be sure to upload the right stuff. 

Number 2 doesn't present much of a problem, and I think we have that nailed down.  Number 1 might be a bit more of an issue, but I don't know since I don't have any skill with Filemaker. 

Don't give up hope.  I have not forgotten about this project. 

Steve

Offline stefou

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 08:00:36 PM »
Thank you Steve!

Offline adventus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »
Any news on this software? How is the programming going? ???

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 02:21:25 AM »
I have not heard from either of the people I asked to work on the program. 

However, I may be ready to give it out soon "as is."  Perhaps through RPG Resource Masters...?

It should work fine as it is now.  I was just hoping some of the minor errors could be fixed up.  When it goes out, I will post a new thread here with advice and various work-arounds for some of the bugs.  (Like I mentioned before, there are a few bugs but overall the program works great.)  Posting it on a forum will keep it a "living document" so others can post any errors and/or solutions they find. 

Steve

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:20:23 PM »
I have just heard from "Ictus" (as he is known here) and he will soon be putting the Character Software Companion out through Resource Masters.  It will be a free download.  The code key is already installed in the program. 

This is just the PC version.  I don't currently have a working Mac version.  My understanding is the program will not run in OS-X anyway, so Mac users with OS-X may want to use the PC version. I understand the new Macs can do this, it is just slower.  Is that correct?  (I so want to get a new mac...)

When it comes out, I will start a new thread here in the forums with advice and suggestions for using the program.  I will try to mention known bugs and how I work around them. 

Expect to see the program available there in the next week or so (but leave a little time for those unforeseen problems that always come up). 

Steve

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
Did this get posted to the Resource Masters site?  If so, I can do up a blurb about it on my ICE Webring site.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »
Fantastic program.  It runs a bit sluggish but it is well worth the wait.  Thanks for getting this together.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »
Here's the link to the relivant page:

http://www.rpgrm.com/rmjoomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=15&Itemid=28

you'll need to join the site to access it though, but it's all free.

If anyone has the Mac version I'd be interested in putting that up there too.

Steve, was the HARP version something you would be interested in adding? I have a copy somewhere, it wasn't finished but it was a very good program, as the rest of the testers will tell you.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2007, 01:03:58 AM »
Steve, was the HARP version something you would be interested in adding? I have a copy somewhere, it wasn't finished but it was a very good program, as the rest of the testers will tell you.

Sure, if you can find a HARP version that works reasonably well, put it out there.  Perhaps some enterprising soul with Filemaker skills will put the finishing touches on it for everyone...

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 01:06:05 AM »
Hmmmm.  The link I tried to put in my original message doesn't seem to work too well.  Oh, well.  Told you my computer skills were lacking...

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
FYI on the OpenSource side of things, you can very easily create an OpenSource Filemaker project, the source code is freely distributed/updatable, etc. What you cannot distribute is Filemaker itself. Anyone who wants to monkey with the source would have to purchase Filemaker to do so.

I too am a professional programmer by trade (www.wasatchdev.com) and would love to help on a project like this, but sadly, I have zero Filemaker experience and as such don't own Filemaker either. Also, my RM interest is in RM2/RMC and an RMSS application wouldn't find much use in my limited gaming time.

Sorry to hear about John,

-shnar

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
the CSC is proving very popular, I'll be trying to get the HARP one ready for realease if I can.

and even though it is free, don't be shy at donating a little bit of something to charity on Johns behalf, even a few pence in a collection box would be nice.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 01:54:44 PM »
ooops that old link is no longer valid.

Try this one:

http://rpgrm.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=21&Itemid=38

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Hi FatSteve

I've downloaded the Mac version some time ago (and I wish I could remember where from). The Mac version runs very nicely in OSX ...but in demo mode only.

The only problem is that it requires a serial number to unlock it. I was sure that I've seen an unlocked version of the software but it may have been on my brother in-law's PC laptop and I understand from reading your comments above that the PC version is in fact 'unlocked'.

I see that you mentioned a problem editing the software for the Mac to make it 'unlocked' out of the box - but is there a serial number database to use so it can be 'unlocked' manually after installation?

Kind regards,

Craig
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery