Author Topic: Adventure Paths (a la Pathfinder)  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Adventure Paths (a la Pathfinder)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »
No apology necessary... I made a joke, you didn't catch it - not a problem.  My wife tells me none of my jokes are funny anyway and she misses most of them, so I'm used to it.

In regards to the Adventure Path idea - I think it is achievable (non-subscription model) and we should be thanking you for raising the question.  From the number of posts there is clearly interest in it, so I think it has a chance of happening (provided Terry is willing and able - or someone else is interested in stepping up to do it with Terry's approval).  Thank you!

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline justabloke

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »
 :)

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 04:36:01 AM »
I tried to convert the AP "Serpents Skull" from Pathfinder to HARP.
Its a lot of work with all the enemies, monsters and traps. PF is a very combat-intense rpg, HARP is a lot more lethal. So every fight might end in a tpk. Chances are way higher in HARP, than PF.
The conversion of the encounters is not done lighthearty. Some Monsters can be taken from the HARPO Bestiary, but ... BUT ! at least 80% of the encounters must be adjusted very carefully. They have special powers, spells, magic items. To balance that out, it took me so much work, that we re-changed the system back to PF. Sadly.

And to run an AP is a lot of work for the DM. You must be prepared for everything. My players love to crush the plot within minutes, find solutions no designer thought of and do terrible things I never expected and prepared.
So if you prepare an AP and change the rules-set, you have a lot of homework to do.

(please apologize my bad english)
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
I have not tried to convert Pathfinder, but I have converted d20 almost on the fly.  For my conversions, as long as I am comfortable with what the encounter was meant to do and represent in the greater scope of the adventure, I just drop in my own version of those creatures, NPCs, items, etc.  NPCs are probably the most difficult if there will be combat, but even those can be done quickly for 80% of the NPCs.

The plot deviation issue is definitely one that I would be concerned with as it comes with any pre-made adventure, and the longer the adventure the greater the challenge to keep the characters on the adventure path. That's where a single strong plotline is necessary.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
  IMHO that is the trick, you convert most of the stuff but not everything. You convert the important stuff but let the rest pop into place. IE I would use the tables in RMSS/FRP for basic NPC's or the tables in RM2/C and adjust based on my party from there.
  IMHO the whole thing is designed to have fun so under-power it a bit and bump up NPC's and monsters as needed on the fly, while being fair to the players. That is the trick of being a good GM and not just a book GM in the games I have played in. The GM works with, in and around the rules as needed those who are rule lawyers and cannot see the limitations of the rules are IMHO some of the worst GM's out there.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.