Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 120166 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
For RMSS and RMC, getting the data for creatures into the program is going to be unavoidably tedious.

But for RMU, I believe they are being created in Excel, so there is a machine-readable format to start with....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
Any digital format would be ok.

Has anybody got RM2/Classic and/or RMSS/FRP creatures in digital format?

Offline Holdner

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
I don't see in that software anything about snap or deliberate action phase... why is this?

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »
is it at all possible to add a way to just roll a critical by itself? some way to get a result off the table?

Or a way to check a box for a character that gets a extra critical result of From X table -x severity's lower?

I end up having to look up out of the book for 2 of my players. one who has hammer hands and the other who has had rune Blades added to his weapon for extra crits of various types.

It would, at the very least be nice to be able to look up a crit result on the minion sans an attack roll?
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
I don't see in that software anything about snap or deliberate action phase... why is this?

Phases are determined outside the software using whatever rules set (or house rules) you currently use. If you need initiative within each phase, minion will handle that for you.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2015, 12:33:43 AM »
is it at all possible to add a way to just roll a critical by itself? some way to get a result off the table?

Or a way to check a box for a character that gets a extra critical result of From X table -x severity's lower?

I end up having to look up out of the book for 2 of my players. one who has hammer hands and the other who has had rune Blades added to his weapon for extra crits of various types.

It would, at the very least be nice to be able to look up a crit result on the minion sans an attack roll?

I do this all the time. Just click twice on the character who needs the crit, making them both attacker and defender. It doesn't matter what weapon is being used because you'll override the normal result. Just type in the crit you want into the text field, eg. type "0Ael" to give the character an extra A Electrical crit.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »
I just received a private mail from someone asking a question about minion. I clicked the "quote" button and that mail disappeared. I can't see it or reply. It no longer appears in the list of my PMs. Can a moderator help?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »
 I think you should contact Thom directly as he is the person who has all of the website management admin duties, IIRC.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2015, 12:39:30 AM »
While I love Combat Minion, the feature I most want is the ability to add custom tables. Players in my Shadow World game have Saren, Kynacs and Yarkbalka, which means I'm still running with a few paper tables in combat. And unfortunately, Shadow World weapons aren't in the tables by default.

Any ETA for this, perchance?

Regards,

- David.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
Thanks for your question. It was always my intention to continue development in that direction, however it comes down to how many people would actually use such a function.

With regard to the three weapons you listed:

Yarkbalka: This one is simple. As listed on p23 of RMC AL, use the 2H Sword table with a modifier of -10 for all ATs. Ie. just use the 2H Sword table in Minion and reduce the OB entered for that sword by 10.
Kynac: Long Kynac is simply Rapier table +15 OB to all ATs. Normal Kynac is Rapier table -5 or +0 depending on AT.
Saren: From Shadow World Master Atlas, use Falchion table with +5 to +20 mods depending on AT.
(I note Kynac and Yarkbalka are in the Master Atlas as well)

Bottom line is, for the majority of situations you can use Minion as is for those fantasy weapons, and in only a few cases depending on defender AT you may have to add a modifier on the fly. Eg. Kynac against AT 13+, enter a -5 mod when attacking

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

Back to damage's original question, I would like Minion users to reply here if they are reasonably sure they would create and import their own weapon tables if that functionality was made available?

Please note that Minion licensed tables already include all tables from:
 - All RMC/RMSS/FRP core weapon tables
 - The Armory (Blades, Japanese, Oriental, Pole Arms and Unusual weapons)
 - Martial Arts Companion
 - Elemental Companion
 - Arcane Companion

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »

Back to damage's original question, I would like Minion users to reply here if they are reasonably sure they would create and import their own weapon tables if that functionality was made available?

Yes, Yes I would.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »
Definitely!

- David.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »
Yes, I would. Both custom weapons and those from books not included. This would be a major boost to my campaigns.

Sorry for the delayed answer though, been a while since I checked in....

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:06 AM »
Any digital format would be ok.

Has anybody got RM2/Classic and/or RMSS/FRP creatures in digital format?

I know I had them all, at least RMSS.
I'll dig in my archives.

Offline GangstaPawa

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
Hello,

I am DoomBusterXFX & I am a big fan of Rolemaster. I am pretty new to this system but have 1 year of playing background to RM. I find this software pretty cool but it have some weakness that already been address In that post. I just want to know If a decision was taken about one thing In particular.

One thing that players & GM must do In order to have a smooth game is to split up task. There a lot of thing to manage and if there only one person (GM) to do all the job he will have hard time even if he had experience. If you read the RMFRP core rule, it one of the first advice that they gave you!!  8)

So  my question is: Is there a plan to split up the players (PC) interface from the GM NPC interface so each players can manage they attack, initiative, damage table, etc. ???

Right now with this software, GM has to do everything which Is not very cool. We try that a couple of time with pen & paper & the free version of this software to test it and it slows down the pace of the game VS task distribution to each player like mention In the Core rules book.

So before we all buy the extra tables for this software, we would like to know if this option will develop or not.

Best Regards

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
So  my question is: Is there a plan to split up the players (PC) interface from the GM NPC interface so each players can manage they attack, initiative, damage table, etc.

No. For those people that have the paid version, doing this would slow things down immensely. The whole idea is that this is GM helper software, where nobody ever has to manually look up a table. The software does all of that for you.

The free version is demo software, to show you exactly how the software works, with a few free tables only. If you are using the free version it will not greatly speed your game because as you have said yourself, someone still has to look up all the attack and crit tables manually. What you are asking may help the free/demo version, but since it stills mean entering all attack and crit results manually into the attack panel (whether by the GM or player), it defeats the main purpose of the software. You might as well go back to pen and paper.

That answers the "damage table" part of your question. Regarding initiative, I don't see how players can help with this at all. All init modifiers are already within Minion for each PC and NPC so the software does all of that for you. Players can't help with initiative.

Regarding "so each player can manage their attack", again Minion has all attacks for all PCs/NPCs and it remembers each character's last weapon/spell attack. If an attack needs to change, the GM chooses from a select box unique for each PC/NPC which lists their attack modes - about 2 seconds for the GM to change. Allowing the Player to choose their attack will simply slow down the game, since every attack would need tablet/device interaction from every player. We'd end up with the GM saying "Pete, you haven't chosen your attack yet", etc. Choosing attacks is something that should have been pre-declared at the start of the round anyway. A good GM will remember the declarations and when Minion says initiative for a given player, the GM would already have ensured the right attack is shown on the Minion attack panel.

Offline GangstaPawa

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2015, 07:12:27 AM »
Hello,

Thanx for the answer. We will keep the pen & paper then!!

Have a great day!!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
With us the GM always asks us what all our initiatives are and used to write them on a white erase board, now he can just plug them into Combat Minion.  We all still make out own rolls though, you just need to plug them into the program as they come up.  We have a pretty 'on the ball' group that is usually pretty prepared, but having the attacks auto calc and crit looked up saves us a little time.

Still, I think this tool is much more effective for the GM tracking the 'bad guys' information than it is for individual players, assuming those players are well organized and paying attention.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
Our group lets Minion roll all initiative rolls for them which streamlines things considerably. They like to roll their attack and critical rolls though, which I type in of course. Automatic attack/crit table lookup and automatic updating of wounds is the huge speed gain if using the paid version. And also big time savings with automatic end-of-round upkeep, sequencing through initiative order, etc. I was also starting to use the NPC notes field more, to store their loot and gear for easy recall.