Author Topic: a Jaiman image  (Read 3593 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
a Jaiman image
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:33:14 AM »
When you think of Jaiman, what one image instantly comes to mind?

It can be a vast landscape, a location or a specific scene with characters in recent history or something else.

...but it can't be Xa-ar or Haalkitaine :P
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: a Jaiman image
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »
I always liked the concept of refusing those crowns. Could be like a biblical scene where some are arguing the king, some are begging the king and some are lamenting the refusal to wear the crown. Could be epic.
Game On!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
Probably the Cloudlords of Tanara, as that is one of the first introductions I had to the setting.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
I forgot about Cloudlords...

Okay, it can't be Cloudlords either - or anything that's been re-released for Jaiman recently. (and some of the things that haven't been re-released are possibly not cannon so they don't count either - there's a list somewhere on what is or isn't cannon) :)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
What about when Kier shows up with the crown and drives back an invading army?

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Hmmm - a coulpe of Crown related images, sounds cool.

This thread may be a request for inspiration for a cover for the re-released Jaiman book (but I cannot conform nor deny that allegation)... hence the 'no Cloudlords' (sorry RandalThor) :P

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:26:45 AM »
That is OK, I guess I misinterpreted your question. I did not realize you were asking for art suggestions, but what we think of when we hear "Jaiman."

Is this for the cover of the upcoming Jaiman re-do? Got it.

I will have to think about it, because all of the images I get are things from Jaiman, Land of Twilight and Quellbourne, Land of Silver Mists. Perhaps an image showing the crowns, rods and swords only in a ruined chamber, scattered about like trash? (You could even have each of them depicted correctly, i.e., those broken/destroyed appearing so, and those lost or gone as shadows, etc...)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »
Actually... since the Sea-drake helm does play a big part in a quest in the Jaiman book, either a scene with players about to 'liberate' it from the Dragonlord's citadel (it would be in helm form of course then) as maybe even Sulthon Ni'shaang bursts into the chamber. Or, Kier Ianis being crowned, or first using the crown to summon a storm... thoughts?
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 07:04:22 AM »
That is OK, I guess I misinterpreted your question. I did not realize you were asking for art suggestions, but what we think of when we hear "Jaiman."

I was purposely trying to avoid revealing it was for the cover... but I ultimately failed ;) 

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Actually... since the Sea-drake helm does play a big part in a quest in the Jaiman book, either a scene with players about to 'liberate' it from the Dragonlord's citadel (it would be in helm form of course then) as maybe even Sulthon Ni'shaang bursts into the chamber. Or, Kier Ianis being crowned, or first using the crown to summon a storm... thoughts?
Unfortunately, an image incorporating the Dragonlord's Citadel is verbotten because it is on and in the sourcebook for Jaiman. There is even a pix of Sulthon sitting on his bone-throne, though I really don't like that one, so a better one would be greatly appreciated.

I was purposely trying to avoid revealing it was for the cover... but I ultimately failed ;)
Yes, yes you did.  ;D

In another thread you asked what I liked, and I said more realistic art, and just no abstract art please. Then someone asked what I meant by "realistic" & "abstract" which I haven't answered yet. (Largely due to 2 reasons: needing to figure out how to get across what I mean, and sheer forgetfulness - D'oh!)

For me, the main difference is this: Does it look almost like it is able to jump off the page? If yes, then = realistic. If not, then = abstract. (Yeah, I get that styles like "dot-ism" and "cubist" are what most people mean when they say abstract, but for me, anything that doesn't look like it can almost be real is abstract.) If someone could walk me through posting images - the ones that show up on the message board thread - I will post a few examples. Heck my current screen background is one I really want to show you guys it is awesome!!

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
First you need to upload your image somewhere on the net (or in your dropbox) and copy the URL.

Once you've done that, click the 'INSERT IMAGE' icon...

...and paste your image between the 'IMG' tags like this...

and that's it. :)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:59:29 PM »
Unfortunately, an image incorporating the Dragonlord's Citadel is verbotten because it is on and in the sourcebook for Jaiman. There is even a pix of Sulthon sitting on his bone-throne, though I really don't like that one, so a better one would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think an interior shot would be forbidden; and I was never a fan of that Sulthon pic either. I have a feeling it might not make it into the new edition...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
The following image is the one I have on my desktop and it is really inspiring me.

That didn't seem to work. What is a "dropbox?"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
Anyway, I uploaded a bunch of cool images to my flickr account, you can see them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91320784@N07/sets/72157634722216913/

I think that will give you a good idea of what I like. Yeah, none of them are black-and-while, though I do like them, color generally just has more impact - though I know it also adds more cost.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 04:41:57 AM »
Some absolutely amazing images there!!!!!! Hopefully you'll like mine then - What did you think of the Shadow World Player's Guide images?

Dropbox is a free online service that allows you to store files. It's particularly useful when you have more than 1 computer/mobile device in your household as they can all sync to the same dropbox folder so you can access your files anywhere. You can sign up free here - Dropbox

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
 I agree I love images like that and look for them all of the time. In fact in the past I have bought a book just because of the images in it and used them in other games.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Some absolutely amazing images there!!!!!! Hopefully you'll like mine then - What did you think of the Shadow World Player's Guide images?
Well, I dug most of the images in there, the only ones I don't really like are the computer graphic people - unless you do lots of layers and renders people look too cartoony. (Which is fine if that is what you are going for, but not if you are going for more serious & realistic images. imo) Funny thing: I find regular animation better than computer animation when it comes to portraying people, at least those with a bit of exposed flesh, a fully armored knight could be done real well either way. It is only when a lot of time & effort is put into the computer graphic-characters that they begin to look real good, and that is not only time intensive, but still quite costly.
I agree I love images like that and look for them all of the time. In fact in the past I have bought a book just because of the images in it and used them in other games.
MDC
Me too. Heck, that is what many of the adventure modules I have are about; not for the adventures but the maps and things like that which come with them.

Offline zyax1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Lethys -the city
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
When you think of Jaiman, what one image instantly comes to mind?

It can be a vast landscape, a location or a specific scene with characters in recent history or something else.

...but it can't be Xa-ar or Haalkitaine :P

For me its my very own cityproject, Lethys. I imagine arriving there for the first time after rounding the boiling sea of Aranmor...
http://lethys.joabsson.se/

Offline Mordred

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »
Maybe some scene with a phoenix spreading wings while holding a crown on its claws.

Offline Mordred

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
Another idea: the majesty of Kier using the power of thy Crown in the middle of the battle.