Author Topic: Critical tables  (Read 12046 times)

Offline mortenskog

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Critical tables
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:21 AM »
Hi everyone

Is there anyone who have the Rolemaster Critical tables in excel or any database format? I have most of the tables I need for my Excel program. I fear that my fingers will start bleeding if I have to type them in. I have tried to OCR scan them but it's hopeless  :)

For those who want to see what I have you can follow the link below to my public Dropbox site:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51220519/Character%20Sheet%20public.xlsm

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Critical tables
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
Moderator Talking:
 If someone wants to provide mortenskog with the files they should get John @ Ice's permission first. Passing along Excel files is the same as providing a PDF of a book to someone else for no $.

Mortenskog,
   I understand you position on wanting to save yourself a lot of work by finding the files out there but as ICE does not offer any electronic DB format of Arms Law it is illegal for someone to just give you the Arms Law Excel files. Or the files is any other electronic format as well.

End Moderator Talking
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
While I agree that copy written info should never be traded, there may be another way.

If you own the books, you could always get someone else to type them. Most college students need extra $ and are used to extended fast typing. They're always writing papers about something and have deadlines to boot.
  Post something at the supermarket, coffee shop board or wherever fast typists hang out (Qwerty Cup, Dvorak Demitasse..). Leave a phone number and make an offer. All they can do is say no. It might be best if they have no knowledge/interest in RPG's. Less likely to share the info.

You still might want to get the Company's approval. I'm not a lawyer but I respect the desire to get paid for hard work.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
If you get permission from ICE, I have them.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline thirqual

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
If you own the recent (OCR'd) PDFs, there are tools able to export the tables in a convenient way. I used pdftotext (a linux CL program).
 to do so successfully for both attack tables and critical tables.

I have since deleted the tables (everything is in a nice sqlite database).

Offline mortenskog

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:10 AM »
Everyone thank you for the feedback.

Markc I didn't realise that. However I have all my Rolemaster books but have them in print. I'm also going to invest in the new books. I just wish it could be possible to do something about my problem :| I hate typing in all that information myself. My fingers was bleeding when I did the weapon tables. Who can I ask for permission? I have removed the excel file from my dropbox public folder.

PS! John check your email  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:43:11 AM by mortenskog »

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:40 AM »
Yeah, you know the deal with this one.  Legally you can not do this. Practically, if everyone publicly sent around e-versions of the table, that would be hurtful.

that being said. if one private person who owns the books provided the data to another private person who owned the books, this does not hurt ICE even though from a strict legal perspctive it would be a violation of copyright.

Morally, I dont have an issue with it as its really no different than a friend lending another friend a book to use.

BUT this cant be done in a public forum. it needs to be done privately from one person given the obvious can of worms that would otherwise be opened.

Thanks for your understanding.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline mortenskog

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:06 AM »
Thank you for the feedback on this matter John  :)

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
I have done what you are asking mortenskog at least for all of the attack and crit tables in portrait layout (not magic or MA attack).  As noted though, I cannot share it with you.  So, I am just writing to give you hope that copy paste from PDFs to excel can be done. And that works for the 2003 Arms Law and The Armory.  It does require some formatting once copied but it prevents your fingers from bleeding :D

I hadn't considered adding it to my char sheet as it appears you planned, but that is a good idea .  If I get around to it of course...

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
It's much easier to use the Condensed Combat System from Rolemaster Companion II than to type in all the weapon tables. Just a hint for anyone else considering that type of project.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Hello all,

I too have ALL the books (when I say all I mean back to 1800 Rolemaster Boxed Set).  Anywho, I need a quick and easy way to get all the Natrual and MA attack tables in to excel.  Anyone have a great way to do that? I converted all my PDF's (yea I bought those too!) to excel for the weapon tables but I need the critical charts and natrual attack tables.  The same process for the weapon tables was HORRIBLE for the natural attack/MA tables.

Please send any info to oralden@yahoo.com.
Thanks all!
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline harles

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Yeah, you know the deal with this one.  Legally you can not do this. Practically, if everyone publicly sent around e-versions of the table, that would be hurtful.

that being said. if one private person who owns the books provided the data to another private person who owned the books, this does not hurt ICE even though from a strict legal perspctive it would be a violation of copyright.

Morally, I dont have an issue with it as its really no different than a friend lending another friend a book to use.

BUT this cant be done in a public forum. it needs to be done privately from one person given the obvious can of worms that would otherwise be opened.

Thanks for your understanding.

This is why I have always loved ICE.

Now if there was just a way to digitize my old MERP stuff before it is completely unreadable....  ;)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Critical tables
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
Remind me. Are there crit tables out there for Large + Super Large in Krush, Puncture and Slash? If so where?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »
Alright, I'll let you in on a little secret. Abletoextract 8.0 is what I have used in the past. It takes PDF's and tries to convert them into excel tables. You will need a bit of format/column tweaking; it doesn't perform magic; but it's close. It didn't take long (3-5 min) to convert all of Arms Law into an excel format. Then, it did take some time to format the info to exactly how I wanted (1-2 hrs) . I am not a fast typist. I am not offering any files. This is a paid for, "professional" program. Whatever incarnation/version, I feel it's worth helpful.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Remind me. Are there crit tables out there for Large + Super Large in Krush, Puncture and Slash? If so where?

Hello Aarcc, yes! There are Lg(Super Lg) Puncture, Krush and Slash... I have them but I have absolutely NO idea where I got them from.  I have a binder of ALL the crit tables I have ever run across and don't know where half of them came from.  I think it was a post on the forums here or something extra from the Guild Companion.  If I find more info I will let you know, I will need to do some digging.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

Yes, from RM2 Arms Companion.  LA, SL and Martial Arts/Grapple for LA and SL.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Critical tables - L/SL Magical
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »

Yes, from RM2 Arms Companion.  LA, SL and Martial Arts/Grapple for LA and SL.

Great, found it, dug out the book from the archive  ;D

Also are any L/SL for Heat, Cold, Electricity, Impact, Acid etc??

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
I found an old PDF document in my archives which has the Large and Super Large criticals for:

Heat, Cold, Impact, Electricity, Plasma, Acid.

I don't know WHERE I got them and I am a little afraid to post them as they were from back in 1996 and I might break some IP rules...

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
I found an old PDF document in my archives which has the Large and Super Large criticals for:

I don't know WHERE I got them and I am a little afraid to post them as they were from back in 1996 and I might break some IP rules...

Re above, can anyone confirm if it would be OK (or not) to post the above tables?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »

Re above, can anyone confirm if it would be OK (or not) to post the above tables?

email them to me at director@guilcompanion.com and I'll see if I can figure out where they came from.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme