Author Topic: Killing after 0 hits?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Killing after 0 hits?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
How many PC's in your groups really make sure that the opponents are really dead? And then finish them off if they are not dead?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Killing after 0 hits?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »
As a general thing, all of them.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
Seems like back in the day there was a religious fanatic character who would heal the monsters if you'd let him. That got people into the habit of making sure it was not only dead, but would be a real pain in the butt to try to bring it back.

Leftover monsters are even worse than bad pizza.  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »
That and regenerating monsters. If you smack something to death with a morningstar, there are probably a lot of torn off bits lying around. If you walk away now and come back in a month, will there be a few dozen monsters, clones of the one you "killed"?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Sometimes PC's don't check, or even knowing many of the foes are only wounded, retire the field allowing the enemy to live.

My first player with a PC that NEVER allowed enemy combatants to live was a Noldo Elf in MERP.  No orc was allowed to continue breathing if he had a say in it.

I played my first murdering little bastard just a few years ago.  Poppy, a halfling rogue.  I rarely play non humans, but I really got into Poppys storyline.  A young lad that commits murder, he fled his happy homeland and joined a mercenary band as a cook.  He became a dentist and efficient knife man.  Combing the battle field and sending off the wounded was one of his jobs, as was pulling their good teeth, particularly the ones with gold fillings.  Poppy was a tortured soul full of regret and to many dark deeds under his belt to turn back or ever expect attonement.  He died on a hangmans noose.

I have had some blood thirsty players.  That brings out the speech about the reality of slitting throats and committing cold blooded murder.  Most players turn away from it, but I have had some utterly vile PC's run through games.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
Depends on how much the foes are bleeding when they hit 0 HPs. Of course, many kills come from crits, so it's not as big a deal (the mighty armpit crit was much feared in my group - 81-85 Krush). Typically, though, we'd have one who would always check. Often it was a dwarf...
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »
I've seen it forgotten, but often throat cutting is part of the "I loot the bodies AND finish off any wounded"

I've often seen people forget to burn those skeletons, then get a shock on the way back.

"Making sure" often comes up with casters, and generally in either the "I smash the head" or "I burn the body" variants.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
Often, but not always. I had a fighter get serious about such things after he got attacked by nearly a dozen regenerating monsters several months after "killing" one in the same place. After that he not only burned bodies, he hunted down all the bits too large for small scavengers to take care of.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
My parties tended to burn all undead after their first encounter with skeletons and other nasties that can regenerate/reanimate.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
I've seen it forgotten, but often throat cutting is part of the "I loot the bodies AND finish off any wounded"

I've often seen people forget to burn those skeletons, then get a shock on the way back.

"Making sure" often comes up with casters, and generally in either the "I smash the head" or "I burn the body" variants.

I agree but I have found with my present group they leave out the "...And finish off the wounded" part. But I think it is just because they assume that they are dead as learned from other games.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

I agree but I have found with my present group they leave out the "...And finish off the wounded" part. But I think it is just because they assume that they are dead as learned from other games.
MDC

That's quite possible. RM is somewhat unique/unusual in that you're not "dead" until your CO reaches zero OR that handy crit kills you dead.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
That's one of the things I always loved about RM... it's the only RPG I know of where it's possible to be beaten down and left for dead.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Sometimes, it did depend on the situation.

If the pcs were only trying to escape with themselves intact, most often, they would leave incapacitated, but not dead, enemies behind as they continued fleeing.

Excepting that situation, most often, my pcs would make sure they were dead.  Sometimes they did not and allowed the enemy to escape.  However, if it were monsters, they'd make sure it was dead/destroyed.

If they were hunting for bounties, then it depended upon the reward.  Sometimes I'd have rewards posted as "Dead or Alive" then a smaller line of text would be "But twice the reward if Alive."  Then comes the fun of them making sure their quarry did not escape before collecting on the "Alive" reward instead of the "Dead" reward.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
I did have a party bring an undead tyrannosaur back to town as a gift to the clergy of the Goddess of Knowledge and Secrets, figuring they could buy themselves some cred, have some favors owed, that sort of thing. But they knew in advance that they'd have to keep putting it down again all the way back to town too, it's not like "Surprise! You only thought you'd killed it!" No, they knew they hadn't truly "killed" it, that was the whole point.