Author Topic: Faking going down and then noticing it.  (Read 1254 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Faking going down and then noticing it.
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »
  Often in a game the GM says "...he go's down" during combat in which the PC gets a great swing on an enemy. I was wondering just how you would have a enemy fake the going down part (ie dead) and how would the PC notice if he was faking?

I was thinking about acting for the enemy and either perception, weapon skill (ie I did not hit him hard enough for him to die), in RMSS and SM:P Lore Race or in SM:P some Anatomy or other science skill. What do you think of those options?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Faking going down and then noticing it.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
sounds like a complicated description of an attempt at feinting.  other wise its an attempt to gain surprise, which is only a +20 bonusm in which case some sort of perception mnv.  Acting skill bonus would make a good penalty to the perception roll.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »
 I was thinking more about an enemy "going down" and escaping. As we all know in RM you are not dead when you get to 0 pip's or hit's, you have a fairly large negative value as well to be removed before you die.
 But "going down" as a combat move I can see using feint maneuver to gain an OB bonus verses the target.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »
In the rare cases where an enemy was actually faking going down unconscious we usually handled this via the Acting skill on the enemy side and Perception/Observation on the PC side.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
In the rare cases where an enemy was actually faking going down unconscious we usually handled this via the Acting skill on the enemy side and Perception/Observation on the PC side.

+1, except that I would use Situational Awareness - Triage as the relevant skill, at least in the heat of combat.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
If you have a combat awareness skill (situational awareness) that would also make sense.

I would give people a big bonus if this was the only foe, but in a general melee with multiple combatants you shift your attention pretty fast and might not notice.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »

+1
Darn that salt pork!