Author Topic: Sports in your game  (Read 1729 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sports in your game
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
  Watching the England vs. France Football (Soccer) game here got me wondering if any of you have any sports besides the normal archery, jousting, etc in your game?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sports in your game
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Dwarves in my game play a version of Rugby. One of the coastal cultures has competitive sailing, and of course the steppe peoples have horse racing in all its variations. One of the elven cultures has a sort of competitive poetry recital as well, and one player who had a halfling character tried to organize a bake-off in one village.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
I have most the rules written up for Chariot Racing.  Even ran the event at GenCon one year as a multi-round tournament.  I really need to organize the rules someday and submit them to ICE or The Guild Companion.

And then... there is... Bloodbowl!   Would be a blast to drop into a campaign, but it'd take a good part of a session to play a game.  You'd just have to decide how widespread the participation is and if you want unusual races.  You could go as small as a game played between communities within a large city, to competition between decent sized towns in a kingdom, to as big as cross-kingdom competition if they are at least on halfway friendly terms.  I would probably make it a primarily "Human" sport, with the various teams trying to recruit unusual players in order to one-up each other.

We once ran a campaign where every Halloween an event was held on an island where adventure parties would all be dropped on the island and the last ones standing victorious (due to all the others either being dead or having surrendered) got some prize (aside from what they'd looted from other groups).  But that event is pretty much the poster child of hack and slash.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
 I like it when the game changes and you play a game in the RPG. Sometimes it can be deadly and other times it is not.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
Games tend to occur at festivals and the like.  Real life in a fantasy setting is more medevil, and there is work to be done every day with little time for play or wealth for organized sports.

Horse racing seems to me to be popular across all cultures and economic stratum, though in a fatasy game, the horse could be a unique creature.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Real life in a fantasy setting is more medevil, and there is work to be done every day with little time for play or wealth for organized sports.

True, but the peasantry can't just keep going day after day, year after year, with no recreation at all. That's why those the peasants pay their taxes to tend to organize some sort of festival at least 2-3 times a year, the increased productivity and morale of the peasants more than offsets the cost.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
Grumpy, stop being grumpy...I did say "festivals and the like."   :whip:

In a society were almost everyone has to weild an axe to split and shave wood, ax throwing is a natural competition anytime.  Other festivals could be arranged around events outside religion and noble holidays, like every five years when a Royal Pegasus lands at the Millers pond and spends five days in the field birthing and nursing her foal.  The foal is always a normal horse and given to one of the towns citizens, chosen by the Pegasus, who is typically a child.

While there are sports of martial prowess, most are not as most people are not warriors by trade.  Riding, running, wrasslin', ax toss, ring toss, archery, sling competitions, climbing, shucking corn, baling hay, dance offs, lasso competition, rodeos, greased pigs, chicken catchin tori (were after catching the chicken, the competition isn't complete until the chicken is dead, defeathered, gutted and prepped for cooking, at which point the cooking team takes over), snake handlin', honey raid, stone tossing, sack races, chariot races, horse races, wheel barrow races (with two man teans and some tricky cargo, such as loose dirt, gravel, nuts, corn, etc); there is a lot more than jousting and mock battles to be performed by the knights and nobles.

Still, a six day work week is standard year around in a european type setting.  Some groups may even have to add extra work to avoid doing any work on their sabbath.  Even on the day of rest, fires need to be maintained, wood cut/stacked/hauled, dinners cooked and farm animals cared for with feeding, watering, milking, egg collecting, etc.  Free time, particularly festival times, are truely very precious in such societies.

I just don't see much room for organized sport outside those times, not until the countryside is safe enough and the economy wealthy enough to support wandering minstrels, troupes and circus type organizations.  That requires a well developed ecomomy or a ton of freely available magic.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Well that's what I was saying, those festivals are pretty much gonna be there, so to some extent the games will be as well. And they'll happen often enough for festival games to show up in your game on a regular basis if you want them.

But yes, other than festival-type competitions and various forms of gambling, the setting could easily be very sparse in terms of games.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula