Author Topic: Is D3 going to change your game?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is D3 going to change your game?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »
One thing about any vid game that i like or get annoyed by is how villians/monsters/etc progress as my PC gains levels.  In Oblivion IV, getting stronger meant very little as everyone in the world progresses as my PC did.  In Fallout, some areas are tough, some are safe, some become safe as my PC gets tougher.  I prefer that approach as it mimics my game world.

This is exactly the style of my RM campaign: I detest level-dependent encounters. Why should bandits automatically get more powerful when the PCs level up? Why should a big, old dragon be any easier when the PCs meet him and decide to attack, even though they are small fish?  >:(

If the players decide to confront an NPC, an animal, creature or monster that is way above their head, I offer possibilities to get away or around, I ask them if they are sure that they want to attack, but that is all I do. If they really want to test their luck and limits, who am I to stop them?  ;)
By the way, when all the PCs were 1st level characters, they killed a level 15 mountain troll in less than four rounds. At first I was angry, because I thought that was suicide, then I was flabbergasted as they grinded the troll into tiny bits in such an amazing little time. And then I laughed, beingt amazed at the creativity and luck of those players.  ;D

Back to topic: perhaps the PCs are the most important personas in the campaign, but that does not mean that the world changes according to their prowess. In my opinion at least. I always want to present a rich and colorful world that reacts to the PCs, is changed and influenced by them and their actions, but is definitely much larger than they.
I do not know if Fallout had a big impact on my mindset, but it definitely is very similar to that in its core.
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
I scale based on region, although to some extent I do tool early encounters to meet the needs and level of my party. There's always the chance that they'll get in over their heads, of course. That's just how it works. Over time they learn not to wander into ancient ruins with a 1st level party...at least they should unless they like rolling up characters every ten minutes or so.

There's also the position that as a party gets more well-known (often tied to rising experience levels), they will start attracting more skilled opponents (either folks wanting to make a name for themselves by defeating the party or someone who wants to put an end to those meddling kids and their pesky dog). Likewise, weaker opponents who recognize them may evade contact as well.

I was running my games this way well before the first Fallout game came out, so I can't say that their style influenced mine. I'd say it came more from "backing into" fantasy roleplaying through games like Top Secret and Boot Hill.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 02:57:42 AM »
Speaking of Diablo 3, I knew Yahtzee would come thru for me and really review the game and not just drool all over the graphics, now I really know I'm not missing anything.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
 I have come to realize that the Diablo series is just the old video game Gauntlet revised.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
I have come to realize that the Diablo series is just the old video game Gauntlet revised.
MDC

That's the most positive thing I've heard anyone say about it. I loved that game.

Of course I have it on MAME and never play it, so maybe it has lost playability over the years....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
Of course I have it on MAME and never play it, so maybe it has lost playability over the years....

Well, Diablo never lost playability, that kinda happens when you rehash the same game over and over with new graphics.
And to think Blizzard used to innovate by stealing Warhammer IP :P