Author Topic: Is D3 going to change your game?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Is D3 going to change your game?
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
I was wondering if Diablo 3 was going to change your game at all? I know when D2 came out it changed the way I thought about various things.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is D3 going to change your game?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:38:07 AM »
I haven't played it and I refuse to play it.
Blizzard should burn in the deepest pits of Hell.

In short, no.
And neither did the first or 2nd. I think they might influence a game like D&D more than anything I play currently.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
I haven't played it and I refuse to play it.
Blizzard should burn in the deepest pits of Hell.

In short, no.
And neither did the first or 2nd. I think they might influence a game like D&D more than anything I play currently.

Wow, I used and thought a lot about the magic system as well as how it seemed to expand things to a scale of 1-1000 instead of 1-100. I also liked the fact that the same weapon can have a varied bonus. For example a average short sword might have a bonus of -3 to +5 to OB.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
I'm not keen on a company that forces me to be online to play their game. If I happen to see it at a friend's.. then sure. I'll check it out.

With that said, Wall of Dead is freaking sweet. I've only seen it in a trailer but we had something like this in old D&D 2nd ed. Need to work on that..

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
Wow, I used and thought a lot about the magic system as well as how it seemed to expand things to a scale of 1-1000 instead of 1-100. I also liked the fact that the same weapon can have a varied bonus. For example a average short sword might have a bonus of -3 to +5 to OB.
MDC

Well, when I run ICE games they are not very hack n slashy and I also don't give out magic items like candy, so maybe that is my reason for not thinking of things like that. As I said, I think it equates better with D&D type games.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »
Can't see why it would influence my game at all. No video game really has.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
I'm not keen on a company that forces me to be online to play their game. If I happen to see it at a friend's.. then sure. I'll check it out.

With that said, Wall of Dead is freaking sweet. I've only seen it in a trailer but we had something like this in old D&D 2nd ed. Need to work on that..

I agree with that. I can also understand the reason as it is anti piracy. When you play games on facebook or other social network sights they are doing to same thing. Companies in the future want to run games from the cloud (or old client server) as they are easier to maintain and patch and try and keep people out who do not pay. The bummer is that you cannot give a game away after you are done or sell it afterward.

As for computer games in general I like to look at the hint books for ideas and just what is going on. It may just be that I have a friend that does some testing for Blizzard every-once in a while and I have seen some of his style in multiple type quests come up. But I see it less frequently now as his stuff is more involved and not just go here and kill that.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
When Diablo 2 came out, I have spent a big part of my freetime with that game and I learned my lesson. If all those hours where put together, I would not be surprised if several weeks or months worth of gaming time would add up.

And when it got a bit boring and I decided to look after other things again, I realized something pretty devastating: I gained a whole bunch of levels, powers and items, all of it pretty cool, badass and nifty. Nothing of that helped me afterwards, the game did not teach my anything and I just wasted precious time on it, a relatively large part of my youth. I should have read a book, cleaned up my flat or did anything productive. Yes, it was fun, but if you look closely, it is still a big waste of time.

Did Diablo 2 teach me something about roleplaying games? No. And I thank any entity - which feels in the smalles amount responsible - for that.

The Principle of Diablo 1 and 2 is running around, hacking thousands of enemies to pieces and gathering various items. Sure, with Diablo 2, there were some good films waiting for the victorious player, but still it was just an endless point-click-and-kill-game. Nearly no puzzles, next to none social interaction with NPC, a straightfoward story with little surprises or twists.

Did Diablo 2 teach "my" other roleplayers something about roleplaying games? Yes, unfortunately it did. Some of them want to run around, have a fight on every other street corner and expect to get some great items for that. Luckily that are not many players, since they have learned that computer RPGs are not the same as p&p RPGs.

Which is the problem of Diablo 1, 2 and probably 3 in my opinion. If you reduce all its quirks and traits down, all what is left is a slaughtergame that deals with items and the gathering thereof.

The point of items that have various bonuses is an interesting point. But on the other hand, what would the consequence be? Reminds me a bit of Knights of the Dinner Table: "Oh, hey, yet another Hackmaster +4 sword. Gee! Thank you so much, GM, I put it to my collection. Now I have 22 useless +4 swords. Well well well, at least I can sell them." It is quite unlikely that those items are used, should a player character have a better one, since Rolemaster does not emulate the tear'n'wear of items, as far as I know. And that would be too much bookkeeping, if you ask me. So those items would be sold or ignored, that depends on their worth and their weight.

Thus I have decided that I am not going to buy and play Diablo 3 and I guess it will not influence me or my RPGs. A human life is pathetically short and then it's over, so computer games that do not teach or touch 1 should be avoided in my ignorant and self-righteous opinion. Diablo 3 would have to offer more than hack'n'slay and nice graphics to make me look twice. If it is just another hollywoodesque, "whoo, so awesome"-epic-over-the-top-game, I see no point in playing it.

We (my players and me) play Rolemaster, not the fourth Edition of some streamlined, nice'n'shiny strategic battle game which claims to be an RPG but is built for epic and pseudo-epic combat.

1 There are a whole lot of computer games and movies that I gladly "waste" my time with, even if they teach next to nothing. They "touch" me - my emotions, maybe even my soul. For example the computer game The Whispered World did "touch" me, same as the movies Sideways or Big Fish.
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
I share the sentiment that I wouldn't touch it due to forcing me to play a single player game online.  I see no good reason for me to have to do that.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
My fav fps forced me to accept the online play structure (BattleField 2).

I won't buy D3 because my game computor is down and this cheap a$$ Dell could never run it.

I probably will buy it in a year or two, just to play it (when it is in the used section or 19.99 gold edition).  I did enjoy my run through D2.  LANing it was great fun.  D2 was a munchkin fest, but so was D1 and the WoW games.  Even WoW today is a massive munchkin fest of constant improvement though better items (after free playiing three characters to level 20 in WoW, I had enough...I never get into the crafting stuff offered in games...unless someday one of those games has an alchemist profession and thats what i DO...naw).

The D20 Diablo book was nothing but monsters and magic items.

I would like to see a FallOut: New Vegas Space Master supplement though.

On topic...no, I can't see how D3 will influence my game as D2 never did.  Still, I have not seen it yet.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
I share the sentiment that I wouldn't touch it due to forcing me to play a single player game online.  I see no good reason for me to have to do that.

+1
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
I haven't checked into it yet, and it may be a while, if ever, before I do.

But no, I don't see it changing any of my games. Why should I? D1 and D2 didn't.

My game is between my players and me, and nothing against them, but I don't really care what the guys at Blizzard or anywhere else think. To what degree I let people "in the gaming industry" affect my plans and thinking at all, the main people who do would be Tim Dugger and Nicholas Caldwell, because I mostly use rules they wrote. But even there, I'm not bashful at all about rewriting their work to suit my own setting and scenario.

My game is set on "Earth", so really the guys at Wikipedia have more effect on my game than anyone in the gaming industry does.

;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
Boy I forgot how much Diablo is a point and click game.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
I've never seen a computer game that influenced our gaming anywhere near as much as books or movies do.  Most computer games are the equivalent of a seriously over the top monty haul campaign.  Rarely does one actually inspire me.  Don't get me wrong, I like playing things like Dungeon Siege, Fallout (older better than newer), etc... but computerized version of the Blood Bowl has probably given me more ideas than Diablo, WoW, etc, etc.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
Fall Out: New Vegas is an amazingly good game.

I hope Fall Out III is half as good (have not tried it yet).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
Good that you mention the Fallout Series, yammahopper. That games were computer games that influenced my perception of roleplaying games and left me wanting to play post-apocalyptic RPGs.  ;D

With Fallout New Vegas, I agree, the game is pretty great.

And I estimate that your hope is met: Fallout III is about half as good as Fallout New Vegas. It is obvious that none of the original Fallout inventors and developers helped with that game and that some of the developers of Fallout III never played the original two games, thus you probably are going to miss the certain Fallout-feeling.

Just my opinion and 2 cents.  :)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »
I like how they handle factions and individual reputation/alignment with each group.  It seems simular to my morale rules and I want to incorperate it. 

The inspiration is groups see you as nuetral (50) and then mod that as behavior and rep demand, even racial and prof bias could be applied.  When local npc reactions are needed, roll d100, add the rating and judge their reaction with guidelines simular to a static action result in RMSS/FRP.

I have avoided all youtube vids on FALLOUT III for quite some time now, but it seems ya either love it or hate it.  I really like New Vegas.  the open world is awesome.  I'm thinking one day I will use the setting for a SM campaign.

One thing about any vid game that i like or get annoyed by is how villians/monsters/etc progress as my PC gains levels.  In Oblivion IV, getting stronger meant very little as everyone in the world progresses as my PC did.  In Fallout, some areas are tough, some are safe, some become safe as my PC gets tougher.  I prefer that approach as it mimics my game world.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
One thing about any vid game that i like or get annoyed by is how villians/monsters/etc progress as my PC gains levels.  In Oblivion IV, getting stronger meant very little as everyone in the world progresses as my PC did.  In Fallout, some areas are tough, some are safe, some become safe as my PC gets tougher.  I prefer that approach as it mimics my game world.
I do also.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »

My game is set on "Earth", so really the guys at Wikipedia have more effect on my game than anyone in the gaming industry does.

;D

I really hate that Wikipedia spell, all my carefully laid plans torn asunder ::)

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
I do also.
MDC

Ditto.

Played thru both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas and TBH, and this is not a popular view, I liked NV better. Don't know what it is, but I really dislike the one color of F3, at least in NV you have Vegas with lights and color... and plenty of other improvements that make it better IMO.