Author Topic: Fixing binding  (Read 1519 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fixing binding
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
OK, so I have several old game books where the pages are falling out. Is there a way to "re-glue" them? Like, is there a special type of glue I can use on the spine in order to re-adhere the pages? Any help will be appreciated.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fixing binding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »
Good info on glues. PVA or rubber cement are good. Don't use gorilla glue.
http://www.diybookbinding.com/glue-options-for-perfect-bound-paperback-books/

Nice re-cover tutorial.
http://temperproductions.com/Bookbinding%20How-to/Paperback/paperback-rebind.htm
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
Excellent, thank you. As one of the books is the AD&D 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana with Gary Gygax's signature from Gen Con #18, I want to keep it as close to original as possible. Thanks again.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
A signed copy! Cool.
Every Unearthed I've seen is like that. Sure my book is old, but it was falling apart brand new. Maybe they used cheap glue or the pages are supposed to come out for easy reference.  ;D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
 You can also take it to a printing store and they might also restore it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
Both the UA and Oriental Adventures (AD&D 1st Ed.) books had that problem. I am not sure if they used a different printing company or what, but most of the other books needed to be used/abused quite a bit before any of the pages started coming out.

Offline Barner Cobblewood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
As one of the books is the AD&D 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana with Gary Gygax's signature from Gen Con #18, I want to keep it as close to original as possible. Thanks again.
To be helpful, perhaps you shouldn't fix this one if it is a collector object. In future, a repair might become a reason for a lowering the value of the book. Of course if you're wanting to use it (as we all should with whatever we own natch), it needs to be fixed.
Best, BC