Author Topic: What kind of Computer do you use for Roleplaying, if any?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
What kind of Computer do you use for Roleplaying, if any?
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »
I'm curious as to what most gamers bring to their games or what GMs use during games especially if you are running a character manager or tracker of some kind. I just picked up a Netbook myself and noticed that would be a great computer for gaming, given it's light and very portable. With some software I am writing which is a character manager and combat tracker I noticed that the GUI I wrote for a desktop and laptop just doesn't fit on a netbook. So I would have to redesign the GUI for netbooks which could be a project in itself. To see if it's worth the trouble I would love to know what kinds of computer you see used at your games, or what computer you use during a game.

Thanks!

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What kind of Computer do you use for Roleplaying, if any?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
We use laptops. The GM has one and the players share one.

What really made a huge difference in our games were google documents. We have one text document for the plot and a designated player makesnotes. Then there's the NPC index; a list of important NPCs, split down on location / city. When I GM'ed I also kept a spreadsheet with the most basic character info and had the players update it every now and then.

Having the players computer hooked up to the TV, we can look at maps etc, which our GM e-mail us.

I really cant understand how you old timers managed GMing RM back in the days when Bill H. Taft was still in office... ;D
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
Opps.  Said Desktop, which is what I use for gaming, not roleplaying.  Mix up of terms here.

Several use laptops.  I do have some character design programs on my desk top, but I do not use any type of computer when table top playing, not even combat trackers. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
I've changed the name of the poll but cannot change the name of the topic to fix the confusion that yammahoper faced. It's my own fault for forgetting that gaming actually fits two things.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
fixed
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »
If you want people to be able to change their vote, that checkbox needs to be checked inside the poll set up itself.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
 At one time or another all of the above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
I've changed the name of the poll but cannot change the name of the topic to fix the confusion that yammahoper faced. It's my own fault for forgetting that gaming actually fits two things.

Oh at least three distinct things. It's also a euphemism for gambling.

Which some people also do on a computer.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
We use a laptop for combat tracking software.

I also like to have something to take notes on. A laptop or last time I used a Touchpad (with bluetooth keyboard). We also have a notebook (a real notebook with paper) which people take notes in, but then I transcribe it all afterwards into a single document with each character's part in appropriate fonts, so I figured I might as well save myself the trouble by typing it all in the first place. I type faster anyway. One other player also typed on his own laptop, and emailed me his notes.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
I use a laptop for our weekly games, since we play online.
When we meet in person I don't use anything, but tend to print important stuff.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:56:40 AM »
Abacus.  I'm OOOOOOOLLLLLLD school.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

You should write an app for that. And tape it to the side.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »

You should write an app for that. And tape it to the side.
;D

I would write an abacus app for the iPad and hope for some $. Then do a slide rule app as well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
Combat using an abacus. Now that would be something to see.

Offline thirqual

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
At my previous home, the GM (I) used a big screen facing the players to display maps, informations (what is a zeolite again), to provide something to convert to useful (for us) units (how many liters in 24 cubic feet ?), and I used a laptop as a GM screen, for dice rolls when I did not want my players to know I needed to roll for something, etc. It worked pretty well.

Now that I moved from Paris to California, everyone will be in front of his computer. We only tested once with two players,  google+ hangouts and paint to scribble (I have found better things since).

I am also writing a small application which is (currently) able to look at the critical tables and attack tables for me. I can make have the result from an attack in a few clicks in a GUI, which is very convenient. The next step is the code to be able to assist spell casting and RR rolls.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »

I am also writing a small application which is (currently) able to look at the critical tables and attack tables for me. I can make have the result from an attack in a few clicks in a GUI, which is very convenient. The next step is the code to be able to assist spell casting and RR rolls.

Yeah, I find combat trackers being a very nice thing. That's something that is also a part of my software package in AutoHarp, and it does cast spells and perform Movement maneuvers. It will even track actions and initiatives and player damage. I used it once in concurrence with MapTools and I don't think I will ever go back to the basics. [;)]

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
iPad with specifically formated PDFs for rules and modules here.

After having used a laptop for GMing for years, I got an iPad for work and tried to play with it. I first tried to go the epub way, but I found that, in the end, iPad formatted PDFs are much easy to read and use.

iPad is so easy to use behind a small GM screen for GM books, and easy also to pass around players for maps or illustrations. Definition and brightness are really amazing when you zoom in the illustrations, with PDFs generated at a mere 150 dpi.

I had to reformat all my documents at a 1004x768 ratio. You also have to take into account some specific things, like no recto verso, small margins (but margins anyway) illustrations or maps at a fixed ratio (so that they fit screen perfectly when you zoom in), good index generation, etc. InDesign "screen" layouts does all this perfectly.

And, by the way, the generated PDFs are also very usable on a laptop screen, with the "1 page at a time" "fit page to screen" view. I don't use specific apps for now, as the system I'm using now (FATE, Legends of Anglerre style) doesn't require me to use one.
.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »
I chose laptop, but actually depends on whether we are playing at my home or other's home.

Since I am currently only GMing, at my home, I use my workstation since it has a 25in x 15in SGI monitor, but is also hooked into a 52-inch TV, while the players may use whatever.  When at another's home, I always take my laptop since it has a larger screen (17-inch) than my netbook or tablet.

If I were a player, I would probably use my netbook and/or tablet since they are smaller and much more portable.

I really cant understand how you old timers managed GMing RM back in the days when Bill H. Taft was still in office... ;D

When I first started RPGing back in 1973, we would use slide rules, pencils, pens, quadrille paper, photocopiers, protractors, compasses, French Curves, etc.  Sometimes, I think it was easier back then than it is today, even with the technology...  :P

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.