Author Topic: Magic AS Technology  (Read 4725 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Magic AS Technology
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
...where you can touch the fire rod to the kindling and say "Alight!" and it lights the fire. . .no need to study attunement or attune to the item, just buy a fire rod at the store, take it home and use it.
And if it is at that stage,

2. Magic alters reality. The definition of psychosis is "a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a loss of contact with reality". This doesn't mean all spell casters are mad, but it does mean they are more at risk, because refusing the existing reality and creating their own is their stock in trade.
does that caveat still apply? The users of such are still altering their reality on a regular basis, even though they don't understand any of the mechanics (nor consequences) of what they're doing.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
A glass bottle dropped out of a plane over the kalahari was magic in "The gods must be crazy".

A magic thing, that looked like water but was hard as rock, smooth, hollow, so many strange qualities.

It drove the tribesmen mad, until they ordered the man who originally found it to carry it away and dispose of it back to the gods who had sent it down as a curse.

Technology as freakish thing of unreality for the most mundane of modern things, a bottle. Similar strangeness can be seen in real life, where some native tribesmen literally couldn't see the European ships moored offshore as boats, things made of human hands. . .instead they were strange looking islands or piles of flotsam. . .they were so beyond comprehension as to be impossible to be seen for what they were.

If your culture casually uses fire rods, I suspect you'd use one casually without batting an eye. . .if you'd never seen one before, likely it's as dangerous to your safety and sanity as a Zippo handed to paleolithic man.

In our world, overt magic ala "Fireball" is fantasy, so believing in it is insane, but in any magic using fantasy world the magic is real, and thus part of reality, so it's sane to believe in it. It is only madness if as the world designer you decide, "and even if magic is real, it's still unreal, and makes you mad." (Heck, I feel that way about a lot of quantum physics in the real world, it's only rational if you're a little crazy).
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
 IMHO if magic exists then it is part of reality. Whether you can access that ability has nothing to do with your reality. 

In my game there is a tug and pull method to magic as energy. in that some spells are mana hogs and some are very frugal in that they have excess energy to give or need extra energy from the energy whole.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
(Heck, I feel that way about a lot of quantum physics in the real world, it's only rational if you're a little crazy).

Only because you never interact with anything at that level. The physics of the very small are very different from the physics of our scale. Even above the quantum level, for example water is very sticky and viscous at very small scales.

If you interacted with things like this all the time, it would be normal.

Quote from: RandalThor
The reason we all use computers is because someone doesn't have to give up a 3 year stretch of experience, $5G in materials, and the next 6-months locked away in their lab in order to make them. If/when magic items can be mass produced and used by anyone in a setting, that setting has just been altered forever.

You just need to make magic items enchanted with the spells that allow the creation of magic items. As soon as you have done that, you can create an accelerating spiral of development and increasing scale.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »
So It takes the first 10 alchemists 50 years to get their workshop going, the next generation keeps going while non casters use the machines, and it grows from there, more alchemists, more machines, more output. . .

That'd work, not far from the logic of engineer makes machine, laborer works it, engineer builds another, etc.

I'd always been partial to the Symbols spell for creating magical assembly lines. . .only work once a day, but if you have a long row of them, you just advance every item up the row once a day, then trigger all the symbols, repeat. . .if creating item A takes 60 days, it'll take 60 days after you get all the symbols laid before the first item A rolls off the last step finished, but after that you'll get a completed item A off that line once a day. (And non casters can do all the item moving and symbol triggering once the line is set up)

You might get an irate god dropping in about your power bill though, so make sure to keep up your praying, tithing and sacrificing.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:54 PM »
Or you can just not let items create items.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »
The mass production of magic items...well, thats a space opera approach for sure...I don't think I like it because:

most enchantment spells have a 24 hour duration.  Each casting requires a lengthy process of saturating and shaping the object with essence.

otoh, I can see reducing the time requirements to as low as one hour per spell ( 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% with five stages of spell master.  the 100% results in 1hour.  this is a LOT of spell mastery rolls to make all te symbols).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
As a GM, I'd not allow it in almost any situation, but it's one of those things that's not explicitly refused in the rules. . .with the symbols, the rock is the caster, the rock can only cast once a day, so no problem for it to keep beaming essence into the blade all day, it doesn't get tired or bored. .. and there's no skill check needed to be made, just a spell roll, then the caster must stick with it all day.

For those who object to the feel of the industrial age, if I had instead described it as:

"In the Kai temple of Zardoz (The temple of sixty altars), master smiths in the forges make the famed Kai swords of the order of the dragon, which after passing rigorous inspection to ensure their perfection, are brought to the first altar. Each blade has an acolyte who spends all day praying over it, and each day at dawn, the acolyte takes his blade to the next altar, eventually reaching the high altar at the top of the temple. After sixty days on sixty altars, the blades are infused with the dragon spirit of Zardoz, and worthy of the name Kai. From here a squire is elevated to knight, and the new Kai blade is placed in their hands."

Suddenly it feels better. . .but it's still an assembly line in actual result.

Yes, it's easy to just say no to that and keep it from happening, but this thread was about "How do you make magic like tech" not "How do you prevent magic item proliferation in play"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
Don't symbols require one ton stone blocks?  How to arrange 60 one ton blocks to cast there spells on the item at the same time (I accept the symbol/stone has all day to work the spell).

Eh, I'll also accept it could be engineered.  In fact, in a high magic world, wouldnt such feats of magic be inevitable?  Magic factorys making utterlight lamps for the masses...the creations list could make tables to feed the world...hmm, a high magic world that is 100% dependant on magic, and the magic turns off.  A post apocolytic setting indeed.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
Eh, I'll also accept it could be engineered.  In fact, in a high magic world, wouldnt such feats of magic be inevitable?  Magic factorys making utterlight lamps for the masses...the creations list could make tables to feed the world...hmm, a high magic world that is 100% dependant on magic, and the magic turns off.  A post apocolytic setting indeed.
I guess that is why they call those times "dark" ages.  :o - Oh yes I did!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
Since the so called dark ages happened after the "light" of Rome was extinguished, I can't argue with you.

I winder how much a Roman Utterlight Lamp, the gold and silver kind, not those cheap wooden kockoffs from late in the empire, would be worth?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
I winder how much a Roman Utterlight Lamp, the gold and silver kind, not those cheap wooden kockoffs from late in the empire, would be worth?
I now a guy.....
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:29 AM »
Hook me up.  It will go great with the bridge i just bought.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
Don't symbols require one ton stone blocks?  How to arrange 60 one ton blocks to cast there spells on the item at the same time (I accept the symbol/stone has all day to work the spell).

As I understand it, when kerosene was available to the masses, people could read after dark w/o sooty lamps. This way, the common man had more time to work or increase their knowledge through books.
If a magical light existed, it could really change the culture in a region..

On another note, check out Arcanum. It's a steampunk/magic PC game. It's really interesting how the cultures collide/mesh.

On the one ton symbol factories, I could see this in many "modern" cities. Even smaller towns might have a standing stone hospital with different beds for the patients while they heal by magic.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
Granite is 168# per cu ft. . .so 12 cu ft, say 3' x 4' x 1'. . .an altar top the size of a folding card table. I've seen 60 card tables set up in a gym, no reason you couldn't set up 60 altars in a decent sized building. (or 100, or 1000 if you want to build a couple big old warehouses) Moving around mere 1 ton stones was fairly casual even in the ancient era, we're not talking stonehenge sized menhirs here.

The items move from altar to alter via a horde of low skill required lackeys. . .i.e. the acolytes in the example. . .they only need to shift each say "sword" over one altar once a day. ("What do you do for a living?" "I pray, and I pick up three score swords, one at a time, move them five paces and put them down again." "Wow, that sounds rather boring" "It's a divine vocation friend")

It's not really engineering, it's just mass production logic.

And I did say, you might face an irate god with the power bill in hand.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Mass production is engineering.  Anyway, 60 alters would not be needed.  A system to rotate the stones, take out stones and replace with various other with diferent enchantments, would be devolped.  All thoat would be required is an energy sourse, be it slaves, an essence flow, or a water wheel.  As i said, i accept the engineering would be resolved.  We built the pyrimids after all.

Your blue collar sword mover would be out of work in the final stages of production development, unemployed, and mad as hell.  A program to train sword movers in glyph carving would be needed.  Enter the money grubbing politians.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
moving the stones destroys the symbol. They need to be motionless. . . .and I was sticking to what I could pull off out of the book RAW.

true, when they decide they can kill you, raise you as a type I undead and put you back to work moving swords it'll save feeding or paying you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »
Motionless is relative.  Place them in a lattice, with frames for each stone.  The stones never leave the frames, its the frames that move and are inserted into the lattice.  Like a spindle on a CNC lathe. 

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
I think it actually says "The stones may not be moved" which is fairly non relative. I don't think it refers to planetary revolutions or rotations, galactic or continental drift. . .but putting the rock in a frame and hoisting it around the room is moving it as far as I see it.

It came up when we wanted to make something like a flying boat with symbol rocks powering things, but the rocks "may not be moved" so the GM said that's a non starter to put them in something that moves like a boat or wagon. I wasn't happy, it was a cool plan, but he seems to be right based on what the spell says.