Author Topic: Being a Better GM  (Read 5763 times)

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Being a Better GM
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
Good to know.  :)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
wearing armor like that would result in tiring more quickly once action begins.  unfortunately, the ex pt rules are to cumbursome to track and use even if the idea is perfect to reflect the slow exhaustion of long marches, campaigns and the stress of constant awareness.

so...who wants to create the better mouse trap?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
Stop worrying. I think that is a great way to be a good GM. Something I am guilty of, a lot. (I guess I am a bit of a neurotic......sigh....yet another thing to worry about....   :bang:)

But, basically, just remember got Golden Rule: It is all about fun. Rules, story, etc... are all just the methods and can be changed/dropped in the pursuit of FUN. (Of course, we are coming together to Role-Play, so I am assuming that is going to be the method by which we have fun. (So, I like to have minimal distractions.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
My armor wearing friends make the comment that when you are forced to sleep on rough ground, plate plus under-padding is generally more comfortable to sleep in than naked-on-the-ground. It's not quote sleeping in a padded seat, but consider the fact that in most climates sleeping on a towel laid on the ground is better than sleeping on bare ground. .. .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
My heavy armor isn't that uncomfortable (rigid leather + metal plates). I could probably sleep in it. Maybe not well. The legs are the least comfortable part, I would probably have to take those off.

However if it is hot weather or I have been fighting, then there is so much sweat it is miserable. Sleeping in it in that case would probably lead to chills (as your body cools off and the sweat is evaporating).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
 I think another question is that "Is there a problem if you sleep in your armor day after day?"

Some of the problems I think might be hygiene, armor/padding breakdown, smell (if a problem), loss of mobility (maybe pads/parts become more ridged instead of retaining their flexibility), others?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
And people wonder why the coldest parts of the world developed military tech faster.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
This is a really huge subject. Good stuff has been mentioned here. I would like to add that it is important to know where you are as a GM and to find the best way to go forward to next level.

About coldest parts developing military tech faster. Living in north is clearly different than living in south. The winter is a real deadline. Here in nordic countries situation was that if you didnt get your storages full during the summer&autumn you didnt live to see the next spring. It kind of forces you to adopt a culture of "lets get it done".

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
I look in my notes and the party has been carrying this thing for about 1 1/2 years of real time and they've never actually had the know how to ID the Herbs...

I have been working with index card (~15x10 cm) for a while and it works perfect. Sure, I have to provide those index cards and write most of the stuff on them, but they are a great help.

For items I use white index cards, write the name, type and the PCs' knowledge of that item on it. Then I hand it to a player and tell them "whoever has the card possesses that item and can use it - if you lose it, you lost the item." Only once has an item card been lost, the players learned their lesson amazingly fast.  ;D

For quests and goals I use yellow index cards - or red ones, should the quest be particular important. Every session I put the "quest cards" in the middle of the table and the players can roam through them, look for hints, write notes on them, and so forth.

The group in my Rolemaster-campaign has currently about a dozen different goals (the group has several goals, each PC has several, too), so with those cards neither the players nor the GM forget what there is left to do.

PS: Sure, that still makes you the "group's scribe," but I recommend to write a document and keep it up to date with all the information about all interesting items the PCs have. The players will never see the document with the full descriptions, but it is important to me to have those notes. I gave each item a code (starting with AA, continuing with AB, AC, you get the point) and name them likewise in that document. There I have the stats and abilities, a longer description and the date when the group acquired that item. When the player want to know more, I tell them to start investigating. And sometimes they do.  ;)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
About coldest parts developing military tech faster. Living in north is clearly different than living in south. The winter is a real deadline. Here in nordic countries situation was that if you didnt get your storages full during the summer&autumn you didnt live to see the next spring. It kind of forces you to adopt a culture of "lets get it done".
....and then PARTY!!!!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
I have been working with index card (~15x10 cm) for a while and it works perfect. Sure, I have to provide those index cards and write most of the stuff on them, but they are a great help.

For items I use white index cards, write the name, type and the PCs' knowledge of that item on it. Then I hand it to a player and tell them "whoever has the card possesses that item and can use it - if you lose it, you lost the item." Only once has an item card been lost, the players learned their lesson amazingly fast.  ;D

That's a nice low tech way to manage it. I can't believe I never tried that. Currently my old laptop (used only for gaming) has just enough memory to run and doesn't actually speed up the game. This will help.
Have an idea point.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"