Author Topic: HARP: Character Generator Software Application  (Read 11200 times)

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
Re: HARP: Character Generator Software Application
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »
Most excellent news! I'll try compiling on a variety of Macs next week.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »

Are you meaning to compile the actual source on a Mac or installing using a windows emulator? Either way, getting news on a mac is awesome 8) given that I have zero access to one and that doesn't look like it's going to change. 

I am going to try installing Ubuntu 10.04 on this machine in order to compile AutoHARP for at least that platform. So hopefully by Sunday there will be a Windows 7/Ubuntu 10.04 compatibility. Also I will hunt down computers around here to see if I can find a few using Vista and XP and just test it for those platforms as well.

Oh I have also created .xsd files for each of the xml databases. These are files that contain formatting rules so that if you do make changes you can check your changes against the .xsd file and it will let you if the changes are valid. I will work on getting these .xsd files more details so that I can validate actual data in fields. I doubt that will happen before Sunday though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:35:21 AM by Monk »

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
Update Notes:

I am going to have to axe Training Packages for this update as College of Magics introduces complications I'm just not ready to implement right now so close to release. I will try and get that perhaps in the next release. Right now, the program seems pretty stable and I really don't want to introduce anything new that might break that. All that is left is to build sheets with it until Sunday and hopefully I won't run into anything big. 

I'm having no luck with installing Ubuntu 10.04. No luck at all. Getting support through the forum. It almost sounds as if this machine simply will not run it. I find that hard to believe as it's only two years old. :(

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:53:07 AM »
Patched update to Version 1.0 is now ready.

As a reminder this is not a patch update but a full update. Also I'm not quite ready to remove the beta label from it yet. Hopefully it will prove stable in a few weeks and I can free 1.0 as a stable version and start working on 1.1. I will continue to release patches in the form of 1.0x as reports come in. I will try and maintain a Sunday release schedule.

This week is a break from coding and doing other fulfilling things. I will still keep up with bug reports.

To report a bug

I'm not sure if you need only a google email account or more to report a bug from the Google:Code site for AutoHARP. To submit a bug from Google:Code, click on the link I have in my sig "Report a bug" and log on using your Google account username and password. Hopefully you should be able to submit a bug then. If not, then go ahead and submit them here.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:31 AM »
Everything looks good to me except these points.

- We can't edit/ modify the treasure. No right click or edit button whatsoever. I we want to use an existing character, we should have free access to any data.
- We can't edit the spells infos either without going first in the XML file, find the spot where it is recorded and fill the tags. Users are not necessary programmers and don't all know how to find the files and fill them with datas. There should be a way for them to fill the blanks from the prog itself. The users would then be able to slowly fill the spells they use.
- Adding the items in Equipment is fine but there should be a checkbox that allow users to choose whether they want to buy the item (and then withdrawing money automatically from the treasure as it works now) or not. When you update the character after an adventure, you would like to get the ability to save time. Adding the item with zero cost modification then edit the item after that and re-type the cost of the item is a waste of time. A mere checkbox would do the job and is simple to implement, I believe.
- Having a picture of the character is good but there is no point of proposing it if it can't be seen once the sheet is printed ;)
- Where do you record the Experience? I didn't find any box where to keep it up to date.
- When you level up, we don't have access to the talent descriptions. The talent box (the one which summarize everything) is also quite small.

That's all for now, I'll keep digging ;)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
Everything looks good to me except these points.

- We can't edit/ modify the treasure. No right click or edit button whatsoever. I we want to use an existing character, we should have free access to any data.
- We can't edit the spells infos either without going first in the XML file, find the spot where it is recorded and fill the tags. Users are not necessary programmers and don't all know how to find the files and fill them with datas. There should be a way for them to fill the blanks from the prog itself. The users would then be able to slowly fill the spells they use.
- Adding the items in Equipment is fine but there should be a checkbox that allow users to choose whether they want to buy the item (and then withdrawing money automatically from the treasure as it works now) or not. When you update the character after an adventure, you would like to get the ability to save time. Adding the item with zero cost modification then edit the item after that and re-type the cost of the item is a waste of time. A mere checkbox would do the job and is simple to implement, I believe.
- Having a picture of the character is good but there is no point of proposing it if it can't be seen once the sheet is printed ;)
- Where do you record the Experience? I didn't find any box where to keep it up to date.
- When you level up, we don't have access to the talent descriptions. The talent box (the one which summarize everything) is also quite small.

That's all for now, I'll keep digging ;)

Remember the XML data is completely editable and designed to be that way. Granted you do not want to change the "structure" of the XML you can change anything data related when it comes to the tables themselves. Therefore, if you wanted to add, edit or delete treasure from the Items.xml you would simply add to the xml file. I have also included .xsd files so that if you do make changes then you should make sure you haven't broken anything by running the .xml file against .xsd file. There are lots of online places where you can do this. Also, if you want to edit a players items, you can easily do that highlighting the item and clicking Edit Item. You can only change whatever data is present in the dialog box however. You can add and delete items in the same way.

When it comes to blanks in the database I am going under the assumption that the GM is filling his database with whatever descriptions or data he wants. Sure I can allow the spell list to edit and that is certainly on the list, but I wouldn't expect it soon. Best solution here is just make sure the master database has this information already filled in so the end user doesn't have to fiddle too much with his character sheet. [;)] Hopefully I'm understanding this issue.

I'm not quite sure I understand the checkbox with the items unless the idea is to have the character simply check the items they want and then Add would add them all in one shot. That is certainly an idea. It wouldn't change the end result which is a bit clunky having to click the add button every time. However I don't know if that was the idea or not. If you could elaborate on that one a bit more.

Yes... the picture and printing. I was wondering if I should dump the Harp Logo in favor of the character portrait and maybe do a watermark thing with the Harp Logo. I had the exact same thought as you recently so it is definitely in my mind.

I can add a text box for experience. Currently it's not implemented.

By having not access to the talent descriptions, does that mean they are not coming up, you can't edit them or the window is just too small? Real estate is something I can expand on the New Level wizard, but if they are not coming up that is a bug. If you are looking to change the description, I was thinking that was possible too, but can't remember.

Thanks for trying it out. I will be looking into these issues/enhancements soon. Right now I am currently trying to compile autoHARP for Ubuntu Linux 10.04. I'm actually typing this reply in Ubuntu right now. I am running into some compilation issues. Actually I am down to a single issue but it's a big issue. Once cleared, I still have to figure how to package it. I have no clue on that end and will be completely relying on the internet and the ubuntu forum for that one. I'm hoping this won't take longer than a few days and I will have a version ready this Sunday.

Thus far what I have is the following

1) Package for Ubuntu Linux
2) Add Experience
3) Check over Talents in New Level and expand the real estate. I might just make the description window expand in size if you resize the window
4) Try and get that skill window in New Level to expand when the window expands.
5) Add Training packages.
6) Print picture and create a watermark version of the logo.

further down the trough
7) I like the idea with checkboxes next to the items, but I'm thinking that will take time to implement.
8) Implement the ability to edit spell information from the program.

way further down the trough
9) database editors for those not familiar with XML.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
Thanks for the answers,

- Spells:
I actually thought it would be very easy to implement the edition of spells. I assumed that xml files would works as same as .ini files. The only prgraming language I know is Delphi and .ini files can be modified with a single simple function. As we discussed before, the best would probably be to get this whole spell list done ;)

- The equipement/ checkbox:
This one is not a big deal but I meant this, at the bottom:

Just a way to keep your treasure intact or reduce by the items' price. You could then add as many items as you want without taking into account your pocket money/ Treasure.

-Level-up:
Yep, no talents come-up. Nothing, nada, rien :D

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 02:55:09 AM »
When it comes to the spells it's not as simple as an .ini. I can either set it up with a bunch of textboxes like I do with the Offensive list or I can make it so that you can click the column and a textbox appears with the data for you to change. The 2nd option here is the only solution as there isn't enough real estate to add textboxes. This is not a "huge" update. Note that a user can edit the talent bonus and special bonus for their skills. It would be the same implementation however to keep this explanation simple, let's just say, I need to change the way it's setup first and that is a bit evasive when it comes to coding.

With the items change, I think I understand. I need to think on this one. Given that it took me time to understand the check box I will try and think of a way to implement this that is a little more self evident. Maybe changing the wording is all it needs. I look into this one.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
I'm happy you understood my gibberish. My english is quite poor when it comes to be precise and clear :P

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »

Are you meaning to compile the actual source on a Mac or installing using a windows emulator? Either way, getting news on a mac is awesome 8) given that I have zero access to one and that doesn't look like it's going to change. 

Compiling actual source. I'm the main Mac support for a small liberal arts college, so I have access to a wide variety of Macs. I'll start on Mac OS 10.6, and see how it goes.

Work has been a bit busy as of late, but I'll give it my first shot this weekend.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »
Awesome. However I am wondering if you are going to run into problems. I have successfully created an Ubuntu version of this and the porting over was a headache. Lot's of compilation errors due to things that are supported differently under msw (windows wxwidgets) vs GTK (linux wxwidgets). Because of this I have had to alter just about every file in order for it to compile under GTK. Now the GTK version I have now I feel might be a better source to start with on OSX than with the msw source currently in Google-code. I am going to make the GTK source available here soon, and will even port this source over to my windows area just to see if it works out of the box.

I know that's a bunch of jargon, and I hope it made sense. :)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »
Update:

I have updated the source code version 1.01 branch to now hold the updates for both GTK and MSW. I have also eliminated files that are not necessary and should not be included, for example the project file and all associated files for Code::Blocks. These files should be built by the programmer and including them only serves to corrupt everyone's version of these files. What is important are the cpp files and the header files that you can easily just import into your created project file. You can access the source code from the links in my signature below.

Note, there is no update to the program right now, just the code. I am having difficulty with formatting when it comes to a control in Windows. GTK is fine and runs great. It may be some time before I can iron out what is wrong with the control. No need to go into detail over it. :) Now it's time to learn how to package applications under Debian Linux.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 01:36:29 AM »
Good luck!
We'll stay tuned ;)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Update:

I have a link to download the Linux version of AutoHARP. The link is found in my signature. It's a tar file not a package. As far as I know, you can just unzip it to a directory and run it from there. If anyone running Ubuntu or a Linux can let me know if it works that would be great. I'm hoping to get a package setup so that installation can be made easier but right now this seems to work fine.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
New Blog for AutoHARP

http://autoharprpg.blogspot.com/

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:23 AM »
Very good!
I'm a follower now ;)

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
Ok, i tried to create a middlearth char.
Select catagory doesn`t function.
Select Spell also doesn´t function
Whre are the "races" like Dunedain, Wose, Haradrim...?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
Ok, i tried to create a middlearth char.
Select catagory doesn`t function.
Select Spell also doesn´t function
Whre are the "races" like Dunedain, Wose, Haradrim...?

Not exactly sure what you mean here? What "Select Category"? Do you mean on the character creation wizard on the second step? Need more information here. If you do mean the Select category, what doesn't work about it as I cannot recreate the issue?

The select spell I am going to assume you mean on the character sheet itself in the Magic Tab when you select a spell. This doesn't bring up information because there is no information to bring up. The database only has the name of the spell and not any other information about the spell. If you add the information to the database it should appear when you select the spell. The database is empty in this regard for copyright reasons.

Certain races might be missing because they could be hybrid races. For example, Half Elf is not in the list because it is a hybrid race. Now I might be wrong about certain races being hybrid races so if that is the case then I should address that.

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
Sorry for the necromancy of thread, but I noticed your blog says you have a beta but haven't released it, but I thought you had released 1.0.  I haven't been following (obviously) very closely Harp developments for a while, but your software I thought looked very promising.  Can you give an update as to its status?  Thanks for you hard work!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
I'm really sorry about that but life has thrown me a curve ball and I'm riding the line of depression over it. As of right now AutoHARP and Orc are both on indefinite hiatus until the future becomes more clear.