Author Topic: Foraging: how much food/water do you get?  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
Re: Foraging: how much food/water do you get?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:52 AM »
The first edition of Twilight: 2000 had some good rules on foraging for groups - I'll see if I can dig up the info for you (different system but it used 4hr blocks of time for hunting/foraging with estimated output based on vegetation type).
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
Actually, in addition using numerical adjustments to the skill roll, I would also have the availability of food also affect the time required as well.

The point is, there is no quick and easy method to say how fast or slowly it takes to gather enough food for 1 person. There are a lot of variables, and those variables affect both how much can be gathered and how quickly it can be gathers, and those variables are not always going to be in sync with one another either.

Sounds about right to me. The fact that we aren't actually out there doing it - and that the environment is very likely much different than one we would be foraging in (anyone encounter an ankheg recently? No? Didn't think so) is exactly where the ROLL-playing part of ROLE-playing comes in. Isn't that what the random part of the dice is for? If it was all down to how well they (PCs, NPCs, etc) described what they were doing, thern there would be no dice. I do not know anyone who could come up with every possible senario/element of chance enough to describe that action - and not take 10-12 hours just for the description!

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
Summarized/based on the rules from 1e Twilight: 2000...

Foraging:
In a 4hr period, a character may search a 1km (or 1mile, your choice) square area. For ease of use, consider an area “foraged out” after one attempt.
   Only one foraging party may forage an area. The number of people involved reduces the amount of time it takes but does not increase the amount of food found. Two people halve the time for example. Foraging an area is a Medium maneuver performed by the character with the highest foraging skill. Results on the moving maneuver chart indicate the percentage of food found.

Fields: Characters do not forage, per se, in fields, and no die roll is necessary. In winter & spring, there is no food to be found in fields. In the summer and fall, there will generally be standing crops and characters can gather virtually as much food as they can carry. In one period, this will generally amount to 200lbs per person. An additional 4hr period is required to separate the food from the inedible parts. This will yield a total of 50lbs of edible food in the summer or 100lbs in the fall. Alternatively, a 4hr period can be divided into 2hrs of gathering and 2hrs of separating for half the numbers above.

Fishing:
   In a 4hr period, a character can catch enough fish to produce the amount of edible meat found on the Foraging/Fishing table. Fishing is a Medium maneuver with proper equipment (line and hooks, net, etc) or a Very Hard maneuver without. Double the totals for net fishing from a boat in large open waters (large lakes or the ocean).

The table below summarizes the food output from foraging on a successful roll:

Foraging Table (in pounds)               
                            Winter   Spring   Summer   Fall
Wood/Scrub                1       3         5           6
Meadow/Swamp           0       1         2           2
Field                          0       0         50          100
Fishing (1D6 times)      .5       2         1           1
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
Now that is a perfectly Rolemaster-ed answer.  ;D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »
Thank you Shottglazz. That is perfect.

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
No problemo Kevin...hope it helps!
Shottglazz