Author Topic: Anyone have any idea???  (Read 2453 times)

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Anyone have any idea???
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know what program Roy Altman used to convert/create the HARP HTML document?

I'm looking for something that works to convert the Rolemaster ones....
(Converted one and looks great on screen, however on paper it doesnt print the colum lines - only the border....)

I know the issue  but dont know enough about HTML/XML formatting to reformat the entire document and I have tried creating it form scratch but cant get the table formatting correct, so my only hope is to create the html doc via a conversion program.....

HELP!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Puin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RM2+RMC. Waiting for RMU!
Re: Anyone have any idea???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »
Sorry, can't help at all   :-[

BTW, Ànnia is almost two too  :party:    ;)

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:29 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know what program Roy Altman used to convert/create the HARP HTML document?

I'm looking for something that works to convert the Rolemaster ones....
(Converted one and looks great on screen, however on paper it doesn't print the column lines - only the border....)

I know the issue  but don't know enough about HTML/XML formatting to reformat the entire document and I have tried creating it form scratch but cant get the table formatting correct, so my only hope is to create the HTML doc via a conversion program.....

HELP!

Looks like a Word Document, converted to PDF with Adobe Distiller 5.0, work done in 200...2 :)

Are you trying to find a tool to convert the existing 18 pages PDF doc to HTML?
And one that keeps formatting consistent enough, so that you can play with and add some code in?

I know a couple software that can import Word HTML and clean it up, but not one that does it with some kind of consistency with PDF.

So, the best way I can think of doing this would be to get the original Word file, then if you need help, send it to me and I'll send you back the HTML conversions done with different programs, so you can see if one of them did an appropriate job for you.

Or, you can try a PDF to Word conversion, then, Word to HTML. I did it many times and always ended up by redoing the whole thing from scratch...

I did not really understand the sentence about XML, can you explain a bit more, please?

.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
Hi Mando,

I tried a pdf to html converter program but it uses SPAN to physicaly draw in the lines and P statements with style="left:xxpx, top:xxpx;" to draw EVERYTHING at exact page locations...

While I tried to modify it (and the first page looks great in a browser!) when you try to print it, IE removes the drawings... (Same way it removes large sections of black to save ink for printers).
Since this is going to be a deal-breaker for me 9and others), I cant use that format..

The HTML for the HARP sheet is too complex for me to understand and attempts at tryinog end up with weird, badly formatted pages, so I cant do it manually either...

I'll try a PDF to word and word to HTML to see if the tables are retained and if it looks ok ..
Thanks for the help.

(xml refers to the HTML 4/HTML 5 formatting... I generally only use HTML 3... for simplicity)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
Why would you want to convert them to HTML? Asking so that I can provide potential assistance...
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:01 PM »
Also don't forget to try to get the original Word file from Roy Altman, might yeld much better results.
.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:12 AM »
Hi,

Solved my issues. You just have to force priting of background colors and images to ON in your browser and you get the lines....

I dont think thats a big thing to ask for people to be able to see and print character sheets!

PS: Got the character sheet formatted ok, now entering in page one character stat fields into a "template" table in the DB. Text substitution will convert each field in the "template" to an actual piece of data (character name, race, profession, item weight, skill rank, etc....)
I havent added the fields to the categories or skills pages yet but at least I can start writing code for what is effectivelty a rewrite of the YAHCS php program...

:)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer