Author Topic: Current Spacemaster Rules and old Sourcebooks and Adventure Modules  (Read 3446 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Hi

I'm wanting to get into Spacemaster and there are a lot of old Spacemaster (would it be 'Spacemaster 2'?) sourcebooks and adventure modules including CyberSpace and some are quite cheap!

Are these old books compatible with the current Spacemaster in a similar way to the old MERP modules are with the current RMFRP? MERP and RMFRP have differences with the NPC and creature stats but they do things in a similar way so it's fairly easy for me to generate new NPC stats for the play. The general campaign world that I use has similarities to MERP fortunately.

Is the CyberSpace world the old Spacemaster world compatible with the current? Is it simply like RMFRP and Shadowworld - one are the rules and the other is the campaign world so buying any of the old Spacemaster books will simply have conflicting rules with current Spacemaster?

Thanks.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 SM2 uses a different world/universe then SM:P does. A lot of people still love the SM2 universe and long to see it come back if ICE and the other company that owns the universe can strike a deal. So in short the SM2 and SM:P universes are very very different.
 The same can be said of the core books as one is RM2 based and one is RMSS/FRP based. With some of the biggest differences being in the way psionics are dealt with. SM2 uses a "spell list" approach and  SM:P uses a skill and category approach.
 I can say that I love reading over the SM2 adventures and modules. I have heard some even use SM:P for the SM2 universe in which case the all/most of the SM2 stuff would work.

Universe notes:
 SM2 has a Dune feel and SM:P universe is based on 2 large star empires in conflict.

I do not own any Cyberspace stuff so I can not comment on anything about the game and compatibility but some who have bought just the SM2 stuff have said they have loved the Cyberspaces stuff for their game. I think mainly for the extra cyber stuff Cyberspace provides.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
Thanks Mark

In that case, I'll hold off any old SM2 and Cyber Space adventure books until I buy the SM:P books first and see how that 'universe' feels.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 Two thing's I do like from the SM2 line are StarStrike and Armored Assault. They provide tactical rules for starship combat, vehicle and small unit combat and they can be adapted to work for SM:P.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
...and the SM:P doesn't have an equivelant?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 SM:P has has starships construction rules but it's space combat is abstract. I tend to like the game pace change when players have to man the ships various systems and defend thier starship or attack another starship.
 The SM:P rules uses basic range bands and then figurers out if a craft gains on another so there is no hex based movement. It is faster then hex based game and I have used it in some situations where the hex system would take too much time.

But again I love Star Strike and Armored Assault for what they bring to the table. In fact I am working on a new set od starship construction rules trying to merge the two systems of construction and be able to use the tactical movement rules in AA and SS. I also adding some extra features as well as moving some of SM:P add-on's to specific areas. I think it will turn out well.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
CyberSpace is very compatible to SM2, but the rule set is a little less complex. It is a different setting, and I'd say CyberSpace has more of a Cyber Punk or Blade Runner feel to it.
I've never actually played CyberSpace but I've had the core book for years and used it to complement my SM2 game. If the SM2 rules are hard to understand or not present I normally checked for a different interpretation in CyberSpace. I also used the cyber ware in CyberPunk for my SM2 game, since SM2 did not get cyber ware until Companion 2.

I have not played SM:P but I have many of the books. The games are quite compatible, but as Marc says they can be compared to different versions of RM. A major difference is how you buy skills. Most of the mechanics related to combat and mauvers are the same, so you could easily throw a SM2 character into a SM:P game (but level gain will be a bit odd due to the skill buying mentioned). Many of the rules are identical, and several things from SM2 has been brought straight into SM:P.

I know you say you're going for SM:P, but I'll just have to make a quick advertisementof my SM2 character generator anyway ;).

-Terry

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
Thanks for the advertisment Terry. :P

Mark, just so I'm sure, this is the starship combat - http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_49&products_id=366
and this is the Armoured assault - http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_49&products_id=368

Are these 2 links additions to the rules or do they contain the rules as well?
http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_49&products_id=367
http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_49&products_id=369

Thanks

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Craggles;
 Yes the first link is the Star Strike rule book and the other Star Strike link is to 3 books of pre-made  starships ships for the SM2 universe. I actually like the designs and have used them for my SM:P game.
 The second link is to Armored Assault that has rules for all other vehicle creation besides starships and the link that goes with it is a book with pre-designed vehicles and MIRC's. MIRC's are humanoid meck's like you would find in Battle Tech, Robo Tech or any of those other games. Some like them and some do not but I think they do add flavor to the game.

The two books also give you some in site as to the SM2 universe and the great House vs House vs Empire plot that transpires. But as I said you can use the ships with any game. I also think there might be a Excel sheet in the Vault to create starships. But I could be wrong as it had quite a bit on info in it and it may have been taken down for that reason. Of course I could also be thinking of one of the other games I have and their starships creation programs as my brain is a little fuzzy this afternoon.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
You have to have Mech action in the future! :)

So the 2 support links are simply for designs of Ships and Vehicles that you can create from the first 2 links?
These include plans as well as statistical data?

It's a shame that the current SM:P doesn't have an equivalent but I shall add these 4 PDFs to my collection when I get the rest of the SM:P books.

I'm pretty sure I'll have loads of questions when that time comes though! Thanks again!  :P

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Current Spacemaster Rules and old Sourcebooks and Adventure Modules
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
 The 2 support links have just the stats and some fluff, no deck plans and a few pictures scattered through the book. I also just remembered that the support products all have mini adventures and/or war game like set ups. So you can use the products as a board game or as part of a RPG.

If you have more Q's like I said before just post them.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blödmannsgehilfe and Mad RPG Collector
Re: Current Spacemaster Rules and old Sourcebooks and Adventure Modules
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
We played CyberSpace a lot in the 90s and the early 2ks - the adventures are quite good and of course usable on high-tech worlds in SM:P. Death Vally Free prison - as far as I know planned as an own RPG - is usable in everywhere, though the "death valley as a known area" flair is lost, of course.

We played the scenarios with GURPS Cyberpunk rules than, which of course: a) was no problem and b) put me in the position that I have no real guess on the original CS Rules :)
Currently DMing:
13th Age - Citystate of the Invincible Overlord
Fear Itself - Cthulhu adventures
Traveller - Tripwire
Rolemaster – Rise of the Runelords