Author Topic: Extra Base Lists - RMFRP vs RMSS  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Extra Base Lists - RMFRP vs RMSS
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:50:39 AM »
Hello All -

I have a question.  I was able to find:

From spell Law (RMSS): section 8.5.4
Extra Base Lists
A pure spell user may select any FOUR lists in his/her realm to be classified as base lists along with those normally associated with his/her profession.

Now I can understand if these are JUST open and closed but it allows for Base lists of others in the wording.

I was trying to find this note in RMFRP and it is no where to be found ... can someone help me find this also? I wanted to see if RMFRP had better wording?

My own house rule: I would think that allowing one of the pure casters to choose 4 additional base lists in OPEN or CLOSED lists (to treat like a base list) is much more in line with the power scale.

thoughts?

Thanks!
Dreven
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Extra Base Lists - RMFRP vs RMSS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:07:59 AM »
I would say the authoriative reference for RMSS is 11.4 in the main RMSR book that limit the selection to open and closed lists.

The similar passage for RMFRP is found in Section 2.0 of Character Law even while the core book also mention that pures get to take 4 extra lists without any further explanation.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:50:30 AM by pastaav »
/Pa Staav

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »
By the way, is this true to ANY pure spell user?  From further companions as well? Specifically, Pure Arcane users?
I'm pretty sure it is - just wanted to make sure...

Roy.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:49:45 AM »
By the way, is this true to ANY pure spell user?  From further companions as well? Specifically, Pure Arcane users?

Arcane companion explicitly state that it list all rules that are changed, for instance Section 6.3 tell what changes there are compared to the core RMSS book, and it does not list any modification to the rule about the extra base lists for pure users.

On the other hand there have been some previous discussions if the pure Arcane user could take open and base lists from the ordinary realms as his extra base lists. I think the conclusion was that this is up to the GM to decide. 
/Pa Staav

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »
The similar passage for RMFRP is found in Section 2.0 of Character Law even while the core book also mention that pures get to take 4 extra lists without any further explanation.

Actually RMFRP's Character Law in chapter 2.0 says: "these lists must be chosen from the open and closed lists for that spell user's realm of power."
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:32:05 AM »
 I have always allowed pure spell casters to pick from there own sphere of magics open or close spell lists. For arcane users I let them pick from any open or closed spell list. I do not have an page #'s like the guys above but I do believe them to be accurate.

But in the past I have allowed some players to do all sorts of stuff. Switch out base lists; instead of 4 additional lists trade 3 lists for 1 base list, etc. There are many game possibilities if the story is there to tell it.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Great replies all! I still can not find any reference in RMFRP to this rule...  :-[
I like section 11.4's description in RMSS :D however I would like to find the same rule in RMFRP.

Does it even exist?  ???

Thanks!!
Drev

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »
There is not a specific reference in the RMFRP core book, IIRC. The reference is in the RMFRP version of Character Law, on page 16.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
Thank you! That was the reference I needed!

L8er,
Drev

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
Ummm...not that it matter....but how did I fail to communicate in my first post in this thread?

I thought that I said that Character Law for RMFRP section 2.0 contain the ruling about only open and closed lists and that the RMFRP book itself only says pure users get four extra lists without any further explanation.
/Pa Staav

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
Ummm...not that it matter....but how did I fail to communicate in my first post in this thread?

I thought that I said that Character Law for RMFRP section 2.0 contain the ruling about only open and closed lists and that the RMFRP book itself only says pure users get four extra lists without any further explanation.

You did, but apparently it was misunderstood or perhaps missed altogether (that sometimes happens).  ;D

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »

Ooops, sorry I misread your post  :-[
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:20 AM »
That is like saying 'select 4 lists that you (approval) think appropiate', i.e. in your game you could think that any essence users could learn 'elemental attacks' so any essence pure spell user could choose any magician list as base.

Another example, for channeling our group could aprove that any priest (from channeling companion) list associated to your deity is available as extra base list.

As that is a subjective decision (which lists are appropiated?) a generalized way to this is saying:
A pure spell user may select any FOUR lists in his/her realm to be classified as base lists along with those normally associated with his/her profession.

In my game we can choose open/closed/evil lists, the usual.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03:21 AM »
I'd discuss it with the GM for sure. If it makes the player happy, fits the character and doesn't pee in another players cheerios, I'd be pretty lenient with what they can pick.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
Just a personal note, in the past, if you include additional base lists as "same realm class base lists" becomes VERY powerful.  Just a word of caution on this!  8)
I just wanted a definitive answer on the real wording of the rule.  I got those so thanks all for the input!
Jason