Author Topic: Morale Checks  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
Morale Checks
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:02:11 PM »
How are these made?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:26:15 PM by Greyaxe »
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Re: Moral Checks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
Uh... don't you mean morale checks?

Morals are a little different and kinda depend on alignment and motivations...

As far as morale checks are concened, I know of no game mechanic to represent that. However, I don't have all the books...

I, personally, have always made the decision if foes flee or surrender; taking their intelligence, disposition, and motivation into consideration...

I noticed after posting this you did indeed have morale in the title... did it say moral before or are mine eyes getting worse? :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:32:57 PM by Right Wing Wacko »
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
Re: Morale Checks
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »

I noticed after posting this you did indeed have morale in the title... did it say moral before or are mine eyes getting worse? :)

I changed it.  I know there was a system for Morale checks in War law but that was more of a bord game mechanics ratehr than role playing.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »

I changed it.  I know there was a system for Morale checks in War law but that was more of a bord game mechanics rather than role playing.

Nothing anyone knows about for RMSS or RMFRP?

Any house rules?

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
I, personally, have always made the decision if foes flee or surrender; taking their intelligence, disposition, and motivation into consideration...

That's the best I can give you...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »
I roll d100 and mod accordingly.  Any result of 80 or higher means they stay and fight without penalty, 50 to 70 stay and fight with penalty, 49 or less run away, 20 or less fless as fast as they can with no regard for anyone.

Normally stay and fight with penalty is a -20 for being afraid, slightly better than being effected by FEAR, which is -50 mod (according to fear rr table in GM Law).

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
I roll d100 and mod accordingly.  Any result of 80 or higher means they stay and fight without penalty, 50 to 70 stay and fight with penalty, 49 or less run away, 20 or less fless as fast as they can with no regard for anyone.

Normally stay and fight with penalty is a -20 for being afraid, slightly better than being effected by FEAR, which is -50 mod (according to fear rr table in GM Law).

lynn
Thats a good house rule.  What modifications should there be...
SDx3
modify by the injury + exhaustion penalties

What do you think?

Im also thinking reputation as well.

"Pray Mr Savic, Klingons dont take prisioners."  Basically a kill or be killed situation.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »
Elite Mercs +60
Regulars +45
Militi +30
Average joe +0 to +20 (depending on culture)

Thats off the top of my head, which is how I tend to run things.  I have been at this for 28 yrs now   :o

As casualties occur, deduct a percentage based on casualties or set penalty in small fights, or both.  Kill the leader, -30.  Kill the boss, -50.  Kill the BIG BOSS, why roll?  Or if I did roll, I would roll a d10 for each opponent with rolls of 1 meaning they stay, others flee...or roll once for the entire group of enemies and base the number that stay as a percentage of how much the roll was missed by (total moral roll of 28, then 1/4 stand their ground, rest flee)...KISS

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »
Good advice thanks.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:41:51 AM »
I think you should work in their experience level in there some way as those that are used to encountering dangerous situations tend to keep their cool a little better.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »
I think you should work in their experience level in there some way as those that are used to encountering dangerous situations tend to keep their cool a little better.

+1 or +2 per level then?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
Level would be implied in the quality of troops.

Elite level 5
Regulars level 3
Militia level 1

Or something simular.

lynn

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:31:21 PM »
Level
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
I think the Leadership skill rank of the best allied leader in sight should be used. 

Or perhaps the leader could take a 100% action and attempt to "rally" the troops with a leadership roll giving the subsequent skill bonus from the static action chart.  (Example, a normal success on the leadership roll would give all allies in sight a +20 to their morale check.)
There was no deity involved.  It was my cross-circuiting to B...

Offline edxs

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
I'd have to go with my gut, since indeed, some hard soldiers may be more likely to stick around if they have a chance of winning, but they may also be more likely to flee if they are going to die. Also, motiviation comes into play. Mercenaries who maybe aren't getting their biggest paycheck of the year aren't going to fight you to the death, mercenaries promised a billion GP might. Zealots may never flee. Bushwhackers will flee in an instant so they can come back to hit you again.

In short, it seems much to complicated to come down to a dice roll.

Though, I could see great use for a fear RR (especially if your party isn't a bunch of grizzled veterans) in hairy combat situations.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »
I think the Combat Reactions Table article by Garry Nixon (The Guild Companion Dec 2004) might have what you are looking for.

www.guildcompanion.com

:flame: