Author Topic: edged weapons  (Read 5457 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: edged weapons
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
 I envision a mono-blade as having a number of monowires in a blade like shape. IMO it would also be shaped like a katana and not a broadsword as the cutting edge pushed the material around and off the blade as opposed to the material catching on the blade like a broadsword.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
Unless the entire blade is of nano thickness, the same issue applies.

If the blade is 1mm, 2mm or 4mm thick doesn't really matter if the edge in question is measured in nanometers. . . .it's still a "thickening beyond the leading edge" that would in many (but not all) cases prevent cleaving of hard/thick targets.

If indeed we're talking about a monowire (a chain of single molecules that form a "wire" blade sort of like a cheese knife or garotte) or a monoribbon (a one molecule thick strip of any width) then the issue wouldn't arise. . .but if the blade has any thickness at all, it wouldn't logically cleave the same way the wire or ribbon form would, due to binding. (as to if game mechanics would follow logic, I cannot say.)

Even making it a quazi-energy weapon akin to "A strong magnetic field holds the wire out rigid" or something similar, it's not really a form I would call a blade or edged weapon at all. . .it's a super sharp string or ribbon (about as close to 1 or 2 dimensional matter as you could get in a 3 dimensional world). Monowire seems more akin to a really nasty garrotte than a blade, or even really any conventional concept of a melee weapon. (How could you parry with it for instance?)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline edxs

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »
LordMiller's pretty much said it already, but if it's a monomolecular edge, it will be slightly superior to "normal" edged weapons, but in practice essentially the same. I would model this as an increased propensity for slashing criticals or a simple OB bonus.

If it's a monomolecular wire, it would be very fragile, do little concussion damage, but massive slashing criticals. I am not sure how it would be affected by heavy armor, but I can't see any material cutting through any significant distance of hard armor when only one molecule thick.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
The solution to your mono-wire quandry is frictionless surfaces...

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
Macromolecules or crushed matter perhaps, on both counts. . .It's theoretically possible to create something like a stable carbon chain, one atom of carbon thick, but say a meter long. . or armor plates constructed of single, gigantic molecules would be almost unbreakable and frictionless. (Buckyballs, a smaller macro molecule, should act like a nearly frictionless lubricant.). . .if you could crush matter down to make the gaps between molecules so small even a single molecule thick chain like the carbon monowire couldn't cut in, it would stop penetration also.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
ok, I just got back from vacation (ahhh... a week with NO technology around beyond a radio! *sigh*) so I've got some catching up to do on this subject... and man! wow, I've got some reading ehre. this has gone above what I'd hoped for! thank you all!

~A
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 12:52:52 PM »
Allen,

What's this weapons book ??? Since I'm into Cyberspace & SM2 I'd love to see it if I could. I'm debating on homebrewing my own Cyberpunk or PA setting using Cyberspace/SM2 for the rules. I just have to decide which & then work on my notes.

Allen,
 I think I woud set the polymer plastics at +0 and th high steel at -5, that way the bonuses will not be too high.

Also upon looking at your new Firearm/Weapon book I did not see specific accuracy bonuses [But I did just a quick relook], but IMO tehy should be about the same magntude as accuracy bonuses for firearms.

Also IMO some types of materials would not make good melee weapons. Just because they have a better structure does not mean they will hold up as well in combat with repeted srikes on hard armor or parring other weapons. The main one I am thinking of here would be polymer plastics as IMO they would have a very sharp edge but they would chip and shatter more frequently. So you may have a listing of each material and the bonus they apply for melee weapons, thrown weapons and missile weapons.
 From Real Life I am thinking about ceramic bades which are the shapest but once they hit bone or other really solid material they have a good chance of breaking.

BTW, if I have not said it I do like the new Weapon book. I just wish yiou would have included the SM, RMSS BO, RMSS AL:FA block of stats.

MDC 
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
Lanadhil Blackmane,
 Allen, spent quite a lot of time creating a lot of new weapons [firearms and energy] and put the info into a book. I do not know the rules for Cyberspace but the weapons listed were in a little bit different format than I have seen for SM2.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
Mark,

It maybe because he used it for a hybrid of Spacemaster2 & Cyberspace. Since I haven't seen it yet I can't make any other comments about the book.I'd like to see what he did to help inspire my own project.

Though if I don't use a modified version of the Default setting for my Cyberspace games I'll come up with my own list of weapons n' tech for my homebrew Cyberpunk setting if I don't go the Cyber-PA route.Like Allen I'll be borrowing some ideas from Cyberpunk 2020 as well.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 12:08:54 AM »
Lanadhil Blackmane,
 I do still have the book he made but I do not have his permission to give his work to anyone. You might drop him a PM or an e-mail detailing your interest in his book.

Yes he said that the weapons were made for Cyberspace and the statblock is different from RM2, SM2 and SM:P. He also has some notes at the end about his mods to the combat system.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
Cool I'll do so Mark thanx.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax