Author Topic: My Hybrid Combat System  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Matthias

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Amulet of the Illuvari [HARP Campaign]
My Hybrid Combat System
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
Tell me where I am going to run into trouble.

After taking a good look at the 4 attack/critical table sets for HARP (main rulebook, Hack & Slash, Martial Law and HARPers Bazaar #11), I decided I wanted a little from column S and little from column Plate.

While I generally like the HB #11 system - being an old MERP fan - I found myself wanting to try something a little different.

What I ended up with was using the main Attack Tables from Hack & Slack (just the Endurance Hit/Critical Letter table only - not the criticals). Then I converted the letters to follow the A-E scheme from HB #11 (so basically A-F = -20, G-K = -10, l-P = 0, Q-U = +10 and V-Z = +20 to the critical roll). Then I used the Critical Tables by Hit Location from Martial Law - as adjusted by the critical letter adjustment above to a 2nd roll.

At this point I am positive it is too deadly, although comparing the Attack Size damage + critical results isn't that far off, it results in slightly more hits across the board since the Martial Law Critical Tables are also taking Hits into account. My initial though was to adjust the critical range - that is moving the letters down the chart a bit and readjusting so criticals are slight more difficult to obtain (more like HB 11).

I recognize this leaves armor adjustments only in the overall DB of the character. Not sure if I totally like that. It might make more sense to use the vs. Armor Type tables from HB 11 with ML Critical by Hit Location Tables (which are more brutal/flavorful than the HB 11 ones).

I suppose if I wanted to be easy on myself I would just quit mashing systems! Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:17:21 AM by Matthias »
:: The Amulet of the Illuvari :: A HARP Campaign

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Re: My Hybrid Combat System
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »
Hi,

Try one system at a time.

You'll probably find that one of the systems works best for you in its current form.
After all that's why they were created to being with!

Our group uses the Martial Law rules as is.
We like this best and it works. if you want a tough combatant, then put them in plate (any level) and you'll be hard pressed to do damage to them unless you pull some specials out (ie Dirty fighting, Power attacking, etc).

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Matthias

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Amulet of the Illuvari [HARP Campaign]
Re: My Hybrid Combat System
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »
Yeah - after a good 2 weeks going over each system - I think I came to this conclusion, just curious what people though.

This afternoon I think I made the decision to go with the HB 11/12 system simply because my group is primarily old MERP/RM players and I think they will enjoy it/find it familiar. Just meant I had to recode an app I threw together for helping with combat - no big deal. I might end up adding modules for ML at some point.

I like the Attack Tables vs. Armor Type from HB 11/12 and the Critical Hits by location from ML - at some point I might look at adding more detailed critical tables. I guess a better question would have been how would people suggest to go about fleshing out a more detailed critical system for the HB 11/12 Combat system.
:: The Amulet of the Illuvari :: A HARP Campaign