Author Topic: Kaitaine: So, What happened next?  (Read 9188 times)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Kaitaine: So, What happened next?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:25 PM »
Don't think so Fac. In the text about Thalans by Andraax says that they are truly inmortal and can't be killed truly; you can only kill the body. But with time they will look for another "Host".

It seems to me , that the only way to stop them is in this special chamber with the special orbs where the Dyari founded the 13 Thalans..

OTOH I can't say of they are evil in the sense that like torture or being cruel
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:21:16 PM by Vince »

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »
From the Atlas:

Thalan: Non-corporeal; Mentalists. Lifespan: immortal.
A strange race which may not even be native to Kulthea, the Thalan are a people who are not exactly immortal, yet their souls remain in the universe of mortals forever. A scroll in the Library of Nomikos, a transcription of a recounding by the Loremaster Andraax, describes some of their peculiar aspects. In fact the Thalan are alien beings who came to Kulthea long ago. They cannot live outside of a body, though that body can be either a living being or a specially prepared inanimate ‘vessel.’ In this way they act as a sort of symbiont and the being is a host.
Thalan are able to transfer from one body to another, but they prefer to possess a child in the womb; in this way they can actually alter the child physically to better conform to their needs. The ‘host’ psyche is also more easily repressed and kept permanently passive.
The Thalan retains all of its Mentalist powers as it switches from body to body. The only way to kill a Thalan is to kill the host in a situation where it cannot flee to another host or a magical vessel.
It needs to be within about ten feet of either to switch. It is almost impossible to detect the symbiont in a host if the Thalan does not wish it; however it is able to create an aura around the body and make the eyes appear to ‘glow’ if it desires to impress or frighten lesser beings.

For me, it seems that Thalan can be good or bad, the ones with the Alliance seems that are making a social experiment than any other thing.

And also it's clear that they don't destroy the mind of the host but repress it while the host is possesed, and looking at their children (we can discuss about ethics here) it's more like a clone that is not allowed to develop his own mind.

In Jaiman I remember the Loremaster Hernae that was also a Thalan and not a bad guy.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »
I could care less WHAT causes vampirism.  It is the fact that ALL VAMPIRES FEED ON HUMANITY that paint a big "must destroy" sign on them
That is, if you are not one of them  ;D
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 06:02:52 AM »
:book2: You are right FAC and i was wrong... now i understand what you have said about the danger of dying.

Really interesting... so if the Inner Circle are only the Thalan, now they are twelve...
We don't know also if Hernae is one of them , or is another Thalan form differente place.

Coming back to the subject , it is not clear what Kaitaine have decided regard the Alliance proporsal.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
Coming back to the subject , it is not clear what Kaitaine have decided regard the Alliance proposal.

I thought this pretty definitively covered that:

Kaitaine, vulnerable after the damage wreaked by the fires, and lured by offers of funds for rebuilding, agrees to become an Alliance member, because the Loremasters have little of substance to offer. Komaren and Itanis are concerned as they see Alliance ships in the harbor, and many more Alliance troops in the previously independent city-state.

DonMoody

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »
ooouch!!  2/2

I will have to end reading the forum meanwhile at work.....

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »
Well, I was sure I read somewhere that the Thalans destroyed the minds of their victims. Maybe it was from one of the novels. Even though supressing the mind is not nearly as bad as destroying it, it still is not good. But for a being that has too, well they have to. I would still fight them unless they showed unequivocally that the system they are putting together is of great benefit to the common person -  and I do not think that capitalism is necessarily a good thing. Still, better than some others.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »
Would it be better if the Thalans PAID their "Host" for the controll time they "borrowed"?

You know, "Host" goes to sleep one night and wakes up 2 yrs latter with big bag of coins and gems. Just a fue streach marks......

Kinda like renting at a brothel. ;D

In fact, could'nt they set it up before hand with a willing "host" and then for security just pay at end and mind wipe the "host" ?
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
I've always played the Thalan as "Stargate" Goa'ould.  (ie psychic parasites)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »
Anyway you slice it, it is just 'wrong'.

DonMoody

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »
No really.  We're not evil, just misunderstood.   ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
After all, is'nt that what livestock are for?

You care for them, plan for them, provide for them, and then they dont want to pay anything back. Even just one or two of them.

SO UNGRATEFUL......... :whip:
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?