Author Topic: Elor once Dark  (Read 8543 times)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elor once Dark
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:03:28 AM »
"Truth is a frail cause. Live to your own truth. But don?t molest me with it."

Fleshing out at the moment Elor once Dark as part of the Sea Drake campaign. Did anybody do some thinking about the reasons Elor joining the Dark Side?
And, much more important, reasons to leave it again?

I?m also looking for some ideas on Gul, the dark jewel of Plasidar, magnificent in the gloss of ancient evil teachings.

Chhers

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Elor once Dark
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:14:28 AM »
Check RMCI if you can, there is a conversation between Elore Once Dark and Lorgalis which basically deals with Elor joining the dark side, if I remember correctly.
We didn't even have him appear in that campaign.

Can't remember about Gul. However, the Nomikos Library of Vroomfogle is probably a very good place to start.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:20:49 AM »
Thanks Munchy, I?m aware of the conversation between Logarlis and Elor.
Still looking for more input. Perhaps the easiest motivation is the simple fact that even Half-Elves are dying once in a while.

And sorry, I  mingled Gul and Sidar. (Both located on Plasidar). I?m scetching out Sidar as the dark pearl of evil learning in Jaiman.

Another thing springs in my mind: what happend to Elor? After relaxing for quite some time in Wellsbridge he puts on his dusty shoes, jumps to Vog Mur and steals the Heart of Agoth from friendly Vorig in 6036? Why?

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:35 AM »
Who knows what goes on in his mind. I guess Terry is the right one to answer this.
However, I guess that he still has contacts to various sources and I guess that he got some information from someone about the heart. Or he is following his own agenda and just had to figure out where it was and that was what he did in his own small home, undisturbed because undetected by anyone.
Question also might be whether he really is that inactive during the time in between. Maybe it just something that is not that big as the heart of agoth or something Terry has not disclosed to the public yet.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »
IIRC there's stuff too about Elor in Vog Mur and Jaiman. It might be worth rummaging through both.

maybe ( it's a far fetched maybe ) there's some stuff too in the flavour text at the start of the chapters in the early editions of the SWMA ( SWMA1, Emer Box, SWMA2 )
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline ICEBruce

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
You guys should realize that Elor is based on a character that Pete Fenlon ran for a long time in an old pure D&D campaign when we were all still at UVA together in the late 70's.  He called himself Elor Once Dark.  Everyone else called him Elor Duodeca Dark as he turned to the dark side and back just about every session.  He was the essence of chaos.  He does not have to have a real reason for anything.  He just is.

One of my favorite Elor stories took place after he retired to become a farmer when the campaign ended when the GM moved away.  Later on we heard that a group of new PC of levels 3-5 fancied themselves as evil and were feeling their oats and decided to pick on this farmer they saw in the fields to improve their evil bonafides.  There were no survivors but apparently their expressions when the "farmer" opened up with a fireball and a few other spells were priceless.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:28:05 PM »
Thanks for this Bruce!! Now I?ve got a feeling about Elor!
(funny, in the mid 80?s we had a similar character starting in the old Vog Mur)

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:04:19 AM »
*Try to imagine a bunch of bully boys in chainmail shouting "Hey You !" at a farmer and the farmer, stopping to do what he was doing, negligently tossing a fireball at the bully boys, then resuming his work*

Oh!!! Precious !!!
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 04:38:43 AM »
What I thought exactely. Must have been a brilliant scene. :D
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »
And did the players ever pick on farmers again?  A past group had a similar experience with a bartender (undercover 35th level mageant) and why they never pick fights in bars anymore.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
heh, the "What are the odds the old man I clubbed to steal his cloak to escape the guards turned out to be a greater vampire?" scenario.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »
heh, the "What are the odds the old man I clubbed to steal his cloak to escape the guards turned out to be a greater vampire?" scenario.

Are you still breathing?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GM

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Nerdcon
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
When talking about Elor Once Dark (not the dude form the 70'ies ;) But the real deal) I believe there is more information to be found on Elor Once dark in the "Grand Campaign" pages 88 - 89....
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."

G'Kar - Babylon 5

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »
Thanks GM, I checked it. Didn?t read it for a while.

The best bits of Elor I found are in
http://www.textlog.de/20240.html
But it?s german, a little bit of Nietsche.

It suits quite well my version of Elor, a Halfelf, *@$*#* up a a little bit from life, who did see so many things in it?s unimaginable long live which would drive "normal" persons mad.

Offline symbolique

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • symbolique studios
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »
I'm currently using Elor as a scattered powerful nutter (a forced ally) in the Grey Ring which he is mentioned in Eidolon.
Jason Just
http://shadowworld.symbolique.net/

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
He does appear in the Shadowstone Chronicle as well, if you'd like more on the Shadow World version of Elor.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »
Now thanks for all this ideas.
The dialogue in the Shadowstone Chronicle was the basis for this thread.
I?m only trying to give Elor a darker profile. In the sense of him being tired of being a chesspiece of gods and higher powers. (was this Engisch grammar?)
So he?s for example adivising Kier to be reasonable and to live an insignificant life instead of chasing some old crowns. Because power attracts power and so on...
And in this respect there really fantastic Nietsche citations like:
"Ich beklage die F?rsten: es ist ihnen nicht erlaubt, sich zeitweilig im Verkehre zu annullieren und so lernen sie die Menschen nur aus einer unbequemen Lage und Verstellung kennen; der fortw?hrende Zwang, Etwas zu bedeuten, macht sie zuletzt tats?chlich zu feierlichen Nullen. -- Und so geht es Allen, welche ihre Pflicht darin sehen, Symbole zu sein." (sorry for the german. perhabs somebody can translate this better than me)

Offline GM

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Nerdcon
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
In Rolemaster Companion VI there is a conversation between Lorgalis and Elor, that perhaps could give som more clues to this elusive character?
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."

G'Kar - Babylon 5

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
The last thing I read about Elor said that he had retired to a small house in NW Jaiman.  How did he end up in Emer mucking around with the grey ring???
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
How did he end up in Emer mucking around with the grey ring???

I bet he asks himself that alot, too.