Author Topic: Multi-Sphere(/Circle) Spells Stat Pair Question  (Read 910 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Multi-Sphere(/Circle) Spells Stat Pair Question
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
If a spell belongs to more than one Sphere (or circle) and those Spheres (or circles) use different stat pairs, how do I chose which stat pair to use when a Multi-Profession character adds their first rank in one of those spells.

1. Use the Stat pair of the Sphere/Circle that the character took the spell from when they added the rank.
2. Use the highest relevant stat pair by using the highest level full caster profession.
3. Use the highest of available stat pairs.
4 & 5: as 2 & 3, just lowest instead of highest.

While I don't think this is going to come up that often, it's nice to get ideas. Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Multi-Sphere(/Circle) Spells Stat Pair Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
First: Circles of magic are the spell lists for variant Mage types (including the original class, now called the Magician). As such, all Circles of magic use Reasoning as their second spellcasting stat. If you have two Mage professions with the same spell on both lists, the choice would be between Reasoning and Reasoning (i.e.: no distinction).

That said, I've had GMs who went several different directions on this... including one who took 3 different positions, depending on the situation and/or the character's backstory. I'd say ask your GM.

Then again, if you're the GM, I would urge leniency. I kind of imagine that nearly all the ranks to cast a spell are universal among all the different versions for all professions, with only the last rank differentiating them. Above the minimum ranks, any improvements are from personal understanding and practice. Ergo, since the last rank is what makes a difference between a harper spell and a mage spell (the 7th rank of changing ways, for example), it's reasonable to assume that final rank is what determines what stat is used to cast the spell. As soon as you've bought at least one rank of a spell in a new profession, what you're learning is their version of that last rank, which would include the specifics necessary to base your spell on Reasoning, Insight, or Presence.
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Multi-Sphere(/Circle) Spells Stat Pair Question
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
As I like to err on the side of simplicity, Multi-Sphere spells are the same spell, it's how the character was trained in magic that determines the left side of the stat pair which is what lead to my idea #1. I think I'd prefer to stick with idea 1 because of that, instead of having the stat pair change depending on what Profession the character is upon adding a rank or what Sphere the character chose when they added another rank.

Aside: Yes, this has a lot to do with the fact that I'm making my own active HARP sheet using Excel and I already found that the complex way will not work even with the functions and Names I'd created for that exact purpose. Yes, I'm aware AutoHARP exists, but doing my own version makes it fit with my own aesthetics.

Aside 2: More complex, but I consider Mage Armor, Steelskin, Stoneskin, and Treeskin to be the same spell with a different visual effect.
#LotorAllura2024