Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - New Skills  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for Rolemaster - New Skills
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
So I've been through the ERA program overall to get an understanding of how it works and I am very impressed with it. Now I'm going through the different parts trying to understand how they work and I have some questions. It's probably because we've never used the Rolemaster system to it's fullest extent and I may not understand how all parts of it work, but hey, this is as good a time as any to learn. I have watched the ERA tutorials multiple times and they are helpful, but not comprehensive, so I'm going to ask here. Hope you don't mind.

When adding a new skill, I get that the skill inherits the skill category things like Stats, Ranks/purchase, and Cost. Some can be changed during editing like Ranks/purchase and cost.

1) The "Rank Binding" is defaulted to "No Binding", but seems to list other skills. How does that work and what is it for?

2) The "Classification" has a number of options. How do each of those work? I assume "Static Maneuver" links it to a maneuver table, but I don't see how it picks the right table.  What do the other options work?

3) When adding a skill under "Weapon", I see these same options with the addition of a Resolution Table (which I assume attaches to the correct attack table and crit tables) but how does the "Classification" and "Rank Binding" work there?

4) Also, If I add an attack table that is named the same as one in the default data, will my attack table take precedence or will it be ignored?

Thanks.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - New Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
I'm glad for the questions. Each tutorial took quite some time to create, and it's good to know which features are still missing better explanations.
Most of your questions should have been answered from this point onward of the tutorial. I'll do my best to clarify the unclear points you bring up.

1) The "Rank Binding" is defaulted to "No Binding", but seems to list other skills. How does that work and what is it for?

A Rank binding is a way to say that a skill is not developed, but instead is just some other skill with a twist. This is useful for:
  • Rulesets that present Stalk and Hide as 2 separate skills for resolution purposes, but require only one to be developed.
  • Off-hand weapon bonus: you create a specialization, call it "Off Hand", set a -20 special bonus, and then both options will be available during combat with the correct OB.
  • Situational skills: for example if your elves have +20 to sight perception, you would create a specialization, call it "Sight" and set a +20 special bonus.
  • Combat styles that allow the same bonus to be used for different tables. If your Bladed Mace allows attacking on either Broadsword or Mace tables, you create two skills, bind one to the other, configure different attack tables for each, then develop only one during level up, and choose which to use when attacking.
The binding ratio is always 1... for default uses.
If you look at the character file, there is a value called "conversionRatio" in the binding. You can really set it to whatever you want and create more varied situations.
This idea is present in the Character Sheet module in the defenses section. You can add a defense with a binding and set the ratio. This is used for Adrenal Defense, Agile Defense, Shield Training, etc.

2) The "Classification" has a number of options. How do each of those work? I assume "Static Maneuver" links it to a maneuver table, but I don't see how it picks the right table.  What do the other options work?

Static and Movement maneuvers will be listed as skills in the Adventuring module.
Movement maneuvers are also affected by armor encumbrance and the Moving Maneuvers ability in the Characteristics tab of the Character Sheet module.
Spell casting maneuvers will be considered as Spell Lists to determine the spells the character can cast in the Adventuring module, and will count for the Spells per level limit ability in the Characteristics tab of the Character Sheet module.
Offensive Bonus will require additional information (fumble, attack table, etc.) and will be shown as attack and parry options in the Adventuring module.
If you change a skill to/from Offensive Bonus Classification you must first accept the options dialog and then open it again to see the change in parameters.

3) When adding a skill under "Weapon", I see these same options with the addition of a Resolution Table (which I assume attaches to the correct attack table and crit tables) but how does the "Classification" and "Rank Binding" work there?

You see more options here because new skills have a default Classification, and Weapons are by default Offensive Bonus.
Otherwise I guess the previous answer applies to this question as well.

4) Also, If I add an attack table that is named the same as one in the default data, will my attack table take precedence or will it be ignored?

User files always have priority over packaged files. If you add your own Orc + Cleric + Mace files, they will be used and the equivalent in the packaged contents will be ignored.

Thanks for your interest in ERA!