Author Topic: HARP on Roll20  (Read 2244 times)

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
HARP on Roll20
« on: July 19, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
For my last two sessions of HARP, I have used ROLL20 and found it to be very cool. My group is currently mixed with 3 onsite players and 1 offsite. There are no character sheets for HARP on the site, but that is not a problem for me as I track the characters using tools that I made myself. A little more research into the generic character form also revealed that it can easily be used for any game you choose using attributes and abilities and a bit of work typing in the macros to make the rolls. All in all I think it is a pretty cool tool that won't take much more effort than I already put into my game.

All that being said, in the year and a half that I have been playing HARP, it has been solely as the GM. I would love to try playing a character. If there are any HARP GM's interested in trading off a one-shot or two over roll20 let me know. I would love to play a character as well as get some feedback (cringe) from other GM's.
~I~

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP on Roll20
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
I have been playing 5e for about a year on roll20.  I started DMing a game there about 4 months ago and the more we play, the more I want to start a HARP game.  I have several of the books and have only tried the game in one session at the table.  I have always thought that if my group played it for a while that they would fall in love with it.   

So, I’m wondering how you’re making roll20 work for your HARP game?  It seems that you’d have to make lots and lots of macro’s without a working roll20 character sheet.  Do you just have a macro for the open ended d100 and then refer to sheets outside of roll20 for results?  I used a sheet from the downloads section here and updated it by making it auto populate fields as you filled in stats and such, but it was a lot of work as I’m not a programmer.  I may end up converting that html sheet to a format that will work for roll20 but I’m sure it will take me weeks to do as I have never used HTML.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
 I have only been using Roll20 for a few weeks, so you certainly have more experience with the tool than I do. I have just been looking at ways to use the features of the tool to allow HARP to be played. As I learn more about it, I get new ideas. I also think that the free subscription I am using currently, may not be the answer as the free level does not have all the features enabled.

So, I’m wondering how you’re making roll20 work for your HARP game?  It seems that you’d have to make lots and lots of macro’s without a working roll20 character sheet.  Do you just have a macro for the open ended d100 and then refer to sheets outside of roll20 for results? 

I use the default character sheet of None. This gives me a character sheet with attributes and abilities. I populate the attributes with the characters skill such as 'Perception'  and set the value of the attribute to the skill modifier for the character. In the abilities side, I then add an ability that references the attribute, makes an exploding roll adding the modifier from the referenced attribute value. We only use this method for skill checks. Combat and the maneuver table still needs to be done with a paper lookup once the value is figured out.

At first we were only using the mapping and tokens to make sure everyone had a good idea of what the tactical situation was. I came up with the idea to use it because one of my group is not able to be at the table for a while. It worked great just using the chat window roller ( /r d100!>95) to make his rolls and then do the lookup in the critical/maneuver charts. I thought the tool was awesome after using it and I have moved all my map and character location presentations to the tool.

I think for me, one advantage that I have is that I am a programmer. I know some very effective short cuts (writing code to write other code) to make repetitive tasks go quickly so most of the macro writing is automated outside of the roll20 app and copy pasted into the fields on the ability editor.

I migrated my group from D&D 5e about a year ago. The main reason being, the players were wanting more flexibility with character development. I found HARP and thought that it would be a good alternative that would not be too difficult to learn. I have now run about 50 sessions of HARP and have heard no complaints.

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:50 PM »
Here is the sheet that I’m wanting to use.   If you Put your programming to use and make it work on roll20, let me know.  If I end up running a HARP game on roll20 at some point, I’d be happy to have you play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9qizc8q9r6b1xc/HARPCS1.html?dl=0

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
Yes, please let me know if you decide to run a game. I think that would be fun. I have a few ideas for sheets that I will be trying out when I up my subscription. I'd be happy to share anything that I get working.

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
Hey Imagin, did you ever work up a HARP sheet for roll20?

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 06:33:34 AM »
Yes is the short answer. The long answer is that it is not up to par and I am redesigning it. There is a lot of information to record for HARP characters and it got spread out. The players spend a lot of time searching the sheet for their weapon or their skill in order to make a roll and it slows the game. I have a solution figured out. Getting it implemented is a time consuming process and I have no idea when it will be complete. When it is, I am hoping to post it to git-hub for sharing.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
I'd used the lots of options license, but I never did get programming of Roll20 sheets to work how I wanted for HARP.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
I'd used the lots of options license, but I never did get programming of Roll20 sheets to work how I wanted for HARP.

What sort of issues did you run in to? I found that the forums on Roll20 were a great help. There are a lot of people who share their expertise on HTML/Javascript/Roll20. These people and their example were a great help to me.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
As it's been so long since I had the license, I'm having trouble remembering. There was something about coding the sheets that wasn't working the way I wanted. Of course, the sheets also have to be visually appealing to me.
#LotorAllura2024