Author Topic: Next in ERA: redesigned character sheets to print  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Next in ERA: redesigned character sheets to print
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »
After some time working on a new printable character sheet for ERA, this is what I have so far.
Lots of existent sheets were considered in this design. I tried to combine useful information with a simple format.

I'll be taking suggestions in the coming week (via this thread), then if all goes well we'll begin the update process to get everyone the new version.
Please consider that I can only include information that is currently handled by ERA, the rest should be manually included in the character notes (i.e. rounds to soul departure, deity/patron, some armor details).

I'm uploading several examples because the content can vary:
  • Total exhaustion points and expenditure at different paces are not shown when disabled in the house rules
  • Total power points and recovery rate are not shown when the character has no power points
  • Inventory and character notes are shown side by side if both are present, otherwise they use the full width of the page. When none are present, the page is not displayed
  • Languages, training packages and favorite attacks are not shown when none are declared
  • Some information is only shown when relevant to the ruleset (i.e. body development progression is only used in RMFRP)

Check the samples and let us know what you think:
RMC character with no power points, a lot of items in the inventory and some notes
RMC character with power points, no items and no notes
RMFRP character with power points, some items in the inventory and no notes
Character from a custom ruleset based on RMFRP (but RMC stats), Training Packages, Combat Companion styles, High Stat abilities (picks) and a lot of campaign specific content

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Next in ERA: redesigned character sheets to print
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »
The symbol used in the progressions (RMFRP) and the skill categories (e.g. between Artistic and Active) is showing up as a capital with an accent mark for me. (Windows 10, FF.)

Looks nice overall though. I might add some blank lines in the equipment list. For RMFRP, I think it may be useful to list "other skill" for some categories.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
Looks pretty good. It is nice and clean. Perhaps more could be done with shading and boxes, though that will increase the amount of ink you use on printing.

Any chance you might have an RMU version?

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
The symbol used in the progressions (RMFRP) and the skill categories (e.g. between Artistic and Active) is showing up as a capital with an accent mark for me. (Windows 10, FF.)
Good catch! Please find below the corrected versions and let me know what you think.

Looks nice overall though. I might add some blank lines in the equipment list. For RMFRP, I think it may be useful to list "other skill" for some categories.
I've added some blank lines to the inventory, but I don't see when extra skill rows might be required.
If you print the inventory only once, you could write down changes to it, but the skill set should always come from leveling up using ERA, I think.

Looks pretty good. It is nice and clean. Perhaps more could be done with shading and boxes, though that will increase the amount of ink you use on printing.
I've left out some fancy ideas I had in order to minimize the amount of ink used.

Any chance you might have an RMU version?
I've added an RMU character to the list. It's quite similar to the others, since the design tries to consider mainly stuff that's common to all rulesets.

There are also some changes in the skill and inventory column inner borders, we tried the prints last session and they where difficult to read without them. Hopefully this new model fixes that.

Thanks for your input!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
Looks pretty good. Note though that RMU does have piecemeal armor rules, which means that different body parts can have different Armor Types. So you might want to specify AT by part: head, torso, left arm, right arm, left leg, and right leg.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
Good catch! Please find below the corrected versions and let me know what you think.

It's fixed now, looks good.

I've added some blank lines to the inventory, but I don't see when extra skill rows might be required.
If you print the inventory only once, you could write down changes to it, but the skill set should always come from leveling up using ERA, I think.

You might want it any time you are using an untrained skill. For example my character has a lot of ranks in the Self-Control category (plus stat bonuses and profession bonuses), so he has a total bonus around +38 for skills he doesn't know. There are times he might want to use those. If they are useful often, of course, he might want to develop them.

Also, some cultures grant a rank in categories where the character may not actually develop a skill. Athletic-Brawn is a good example, a character might need to lift something even though they never actually bothered to develop the weight-lifting skill. With that culture rank and stat bonuses, they might have a net bonus.

Maybe you deal with this by letting the player mark the skill as one that should be printed in some other way?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
Looks pretty good. Note though that RMU does have piecemeal armor rules, which means that different body parts can have different Armor Types. So you might want to specify AT by part: head, torso, left arm, right arm, left leg, and right leg.
Ok, you're right, I made the following change: the main armor (normally torso) is listed in a bigger font. If you have any other armor part with a different AT, it will be listed below that with a smaller font. Outside of RMU or when using Combat Companion, this will only be seen when wearing a different helmet, such as Spell users with Robes (AT 2) and no helmet (AT 1).

You might want it any time you are using an untrained skill. For example my character has a lot of ranks in the Self-Control category (plus stat bonuses and profession bonuses), so he has a total bonus around +38 for skills he doesn't know. There are times he might want to use those. If they are useful often, of course, he might want to develop them.

Also, some cultures grant a rank in categories where the character may not actually develop a skill. Athletic-Brawn is a good example, a character might need to lift something even though they never actually bothered to develop the weight-lifting skill. With that culture rank and stat bonuses, they might have a net bonus.

Maybe you deal with this by letting the player mark the skill as one that should be printed in some other way?
That is already allowed in the current version. There is a setting to choose whether to print only skills with at least one rank, skills with at least +0 bonus, or only skills marked as favorite.

Here is an updated example in RMFRP, with all positive skills shown regardless of number of ranks, using AT 6 but no helmet:
RMFRP character with power points, some items in the inventory and no notesl

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
Ok, you're right, I made the following change: the main armor (normally torso) is listed in a bigger font. If you have any other armor part with a different AT, it will be listed below that with a smaller font. Outside of RMU or when using Combat Companion, this will only be seen when wearing a different helmet, such as Spell users with Robes (AT 2) and no helmet (AT 1).

Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work!