Author Topic: Activity 100% = 10 Seconds of time?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Icefield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Activity 100% = 10 Seconds of time?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
There's the "BattleTech" round.

You have everyone move, worst initiative to best.  Then you have everyone take their actions, best initiative to worst.  Although you do allow those with better initiatives to interrupt those with worse initiatives if they want to.  This allows those with better initiative to react to those with worse ones for movement, but then let them take their actions first unless they want to delay on someone else.

Not sure if this was a reply to my previous post, but in case it was I am actually not doing the table wargame initiative either. The problem with both systems (win go first, win go second) is that it is not reflective of reality that to move first or second is going to always be the best situation. The real answer is, It depends.
There is an approach to Initiative in RPGs that is sometimes called common sense initiative, that is if you run toward a guy with a gun he will shoot at you. You don't roll, it's obvious what will happen.

Another way of looking at it that fascinates me is the concept of Military Initiative: the most effective move/attack is the one that actually has the initiative. In that case initiative is actually just the property of being in a superior situation than your enemy and carrying the momentum of that position.

I am not using any kind of an order for movement or attack. It's all narrative except for when combatants engage each other the OB/DB split is called, and both opponents roll against each other. The highest attack is considered first for the purpose of critical result application (Death or Down mainly) but generally speaking the two attacks are considered effectively simultaneous. I consider the combatants to be grouped in camera shots or frames. I resolve each frame as it seems best directed.

If two attackers go after one defender, the defender can use the same attack roll against both defenders but the OB is halved. Three attackers on a defender is bad for the defender as the third attacker goes without an opposed roll and just rolls a basic attack.

I still have rounds for the sake of exhaustion, durations, etc. but the round is over when every combatant has had their action. I realize that this isn't really Rolemaster any more, but I wasn't liking the 1970's era initiative system disguised under an activity % mask that is in the regular rules.