Author Topic: Channeling Companion questions: the Summoner  (Read 4788 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Channeling Companion questions: the Summoner
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
I was thinking more of the metal hoop in the hoop skirt being the focus of the spell not so much the material.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline madvogon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
As far as the wooden board circle, if the circle does not fit on a single continuous surface, the breaks caused by multiple boards would weaken the effectiveness of the spell or drastically increase chance of failure.  My personal answer is to have the boards carved so the full circle could be filled with something else, such as salt, wine, mud, sand, etc.  The filling material is the actual  circle, which could allow for the multiple circles based on the spell list.  As far as RR to cross a circle, I look at it as the circle is containing or protecting against the planar energy of the target, i.e. I would require a resistance roll to cross the circle used to summon a ghost/spirit from the same plane as the caster, whereas summoning something from the elemental plane of fire would only cause an RR for those allied with that plane (see Elemental Companion).

As far as the hoop skirt idea, this would be useful for assorted circles associated with the multiple hoops in the skirt.  Using it for summoning, however, should be at best problematic.  Do you want to summon a minor demon into your skivies?  To see a good example how a wire hoop can be used to assist in multiple summonings, check out what Binder did with the wire hula hoop in Skin Games, the latest Dresden Files novel.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
My personal answer is to have the boards carved so the full circle could be filled with something else, such as salt, wine, mud, sand, etc.  The filling material is the actual  circle, which could allow for the multiple circles based on the spell list
I like this idea.
If the crafting was good enough you could then use things like (un?)Holy Water for Demons or Buring oils for Fire Elementals.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 01:58:56 AM »
My personal answer is to have the boards carved so the full circle could be filled with something else, such as salt, wine, mud, sand, etc.  The filling material is the actual  circle, which could allow for the multiple circles based on the spell list.

If we're talking about the Channeling Companion Summoner list I don't see this accomplishing anything.  You still have to spend a certain amount of time drawing the circle with the salt, wine, mud, sand, etc.  To have a nearly 'instant' circle it needs to be intact, basically on the floor of your house, tower, castle, whatever.  In a nut shell, whether the players or GM realize it, they're trying to skirt rules for the time it takes to create circle (which are there for balance reasons).

If you want a pre-prepped ready to go circle it needs to be complete.  So if you want a 6 foot wide, durable, instant circle you're going to be rolling around a 6 foot tall wheel.

Now, you can disregard all this, but that's the intent of the rules.  It may or may not have a good or bad impact on your game, but it is your game.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 05:41:36 AM »
As far as the wooden board circle, if the circle does not fit on a single continuous surface, the breaks caused by multiple boards would weaken the effectiveness of the spell or drastically increase chance of failure.  My personal answer is to have the boards carved so the full circle could be filled with something else, such as salt, wine, mud, sand, etc.  The filling material is the actual  circle, which could allow for the multiple circles based on the spell list.

I like this idea, but if the tubes/wood arent the actual circle - where the salt/holy water is, then the demon could just destroy the wood/tubes, and the salt would spill out breaking the circle.
Some kind of sand to rock (fluid to solid) spell would work I guess.  Even if the tube is destroyed it would still remain.

Mal

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
Hmmm.  A spell that lets you manipulate the matter you are working with and a transmutation spell.   Manipulate Earth spell and Earth to Stone spell.
I'd probably allow a reduction in 'drawing' time of the circle with the manipulation spell and the transmutation spell would make it durable.  I think that reduces the time in a reasonable way and you do end up casting two more spells to accomplish your goal.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
Hmmm.  A spell that lets you manipulate the matter you are working with and a transmutation spell.   Manipulate Earth spell and Earth to Stone spell.
I'd probably allow a reduction in 'drawing' time of the circle with the manipulation spell and the transmutation spell would make it durable.  I think that reduces the time in a reasonable way and you do end up casting two more spells to accomplish your goal.
Maybe make a spell mastery roll and use that as complimentary skill, ie 20% reduction in time for a successfull check. We have also allowed a time reduction with 176+ circle law skill checks.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist