Author Topic: A round of questions: dodging & martial arts...  (Read 1154 times)

Offline SoulAngel

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A round of questions: dodging & martial arts...
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
Hello,

I have a set of questions and i didn't find a clear answer by looking on this forum....
First of all, dodging.

I saw that you can dodge by doing a maneuver and if you want to hit too, by doing a partial dodging. The rules said that you need to concentrate to do both... and when you concentrate, your action take twice time.

So if i dodge, i need to do partial dodge (50% activity) then hit (50-100% activity * 2 (concentration): so between 150 to 250% activity. I will take the 50% hit activity and have -50 to my roll. But even with this choice, i'm still at 150% activity... so not possible (cause you cannot exceed 100% activity).

I've looked at the possibility to use the talent "Adrenal Speed" and put 5 levels to gain: 50% activity and it works .
But if you resume at the cost of all this, it seems that the "dodge option" is so expensive (a high DP cost, -50 to hit and no armor wearable cause of adrenal speed talent) ... so basically the game "push" people to do "tank" warrior with big armor and not light one.

Have i well understood or do i missing something?

2nd stuff, i play a martial artist... so i use the arm table "unarmed strike" (is that the right one)? But the problem is, i do "Striking (T)" critics... and we didn't found the critic table for that.
Have you got an idea?

Thanks by advance,

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A round of questions: dodging & martial arts...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
I don't think you can normally do a partial dodge and attack in the same round.

Partial dodge requires concentration, and the quickest attack you can do is 60% (attack at -30). So a partial dodge and attack is a 120% action, which is impossible unless you have a haste spell (which would allow you to go over 100% action).

As to the 'striking' criticals, I believe they are going to be in the next version of the rules. If you need to find some, you can find the Martial Arts Striking and Martial Arts Sweeps and Throws criticals in earlier editions of Arms Law.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline SoulAngel

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
It's the goal of the partial dodge... be able to attack in the same time. No?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
I do not think so (but I am not one of the developers of the game, so this is just my opinion). I think the benefit of the partial dodge is that it allows you to do something else as well. So for example, you could draw a weapon, mount a horse or cast an instantaneous spell while still dodging.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »
Depends on the system you are looking at.

Attacks in the RMU beta are 50-100%, and Partial Dodge is something from the beta as well. But if you want to ask about the beta, better to just post in the beta forums.

Attacks in RMSS are 60-100%.

You posted in both places, you will get different answers since they refer to different rules.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
The book you want for your second point is Martial Arts Companion.

As to the first, not sure?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Partial Dodge  :o

The term strikes me as hilarious.  Partial Dodge to me says you dodge the point of the sword but the edge cuts off your arm.  Congrats.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:52 AM »
Hit someone in the head who is 'partially dodging' and they would only be 'mostly dead'.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss