Author Topic: Spacemaster Vacuum /Radiation  (Read 2033 times)

Offline alp_y

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spacemaster Vacuum /Radiation
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
Hi all,

I have read the spacemaster 2nd edition, and there are very nice vacuum and radiation critical strikes.

i would like to ask when to apply them, and their attack tables. Assume you are in a space station, and you are exposed to vacuum from a wall that has been punctured by something, or in a spacesuit that got damaged by puncture fire while you are battling on an asteroid.

thanks in advance :)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Spacemaster Vacuum /Radiation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
i would like to ask when to apply them, and their attack tables. Assume you are in a space station, and you are exposed to vacuum from a wall that has been punctured by something, or in a spacesuit that got damaged by puncture fire while you are battling on an asteroid.

You more or less summed up almost everything with this.  Vacuum crits would apply anytime you are exposed to the hard vacuum of space without any form of life support.

Radiation crits come from being exposed to, how can I put this, radiation.  Whether cosmic rays, cosmic particles, gamma rays, alpha and beta particles (these are real) or (fictional but viable) iota radiation, delta radiation, omega radiation, etc.  Ever heard of gamma ray bursts?  Sometimes, if close enough, even the strongest shielding won't stop such radiation exposure.  Also watch the scifi TV series.  They'll give ya good ideas as to when you may need a radiation crit.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
Hi all,

I have read the spacemaster 2nd edition, and there are very nice vacuum and radiation critical strikes.

thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the ICE Forums.

Some weapons IIRC have radiation damage in addition to normal damage and in terms of space travel you need good radiation shielding in going into a high radiation area.

I would also look up the term radiation on the web and see just what it is. So for example sun light is a type of radiation as are X Rays. So the more you know the better you can use the radiation crit tables.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
...and in terms of space travel you need good radiation shielding in going into a high radiation area.
I would also look up the term radiation on the web and see just what it is. So for example sun light is a type of radiation as are X Rays. So the more you know the better you can use the radiation crit tables.

Look up the basics on whatever spectral type you're near before stepping outside.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »
Here are some wikipedia links.

Radiation

Gamma Rays

Alpha Particles

Beta Particles

X-Rays

Ultraviolet

Cosmic Rays

These should give you a good start.

Vacuum

And this one.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Some weapons IIRC have radiation damage in addition to normal damage and in terms of space travel you need good radiation shielding in going into a high radiation area.
The Extra Radiation lasers in SpaMCo2 do rediation crist and I think blasters/plasmatic repeators can do them as secondary. I have also thought in the past about a frangible round that instead of depleted uranium core, had a radioactive uranium core (or plutonium but I can't remember if the half life is long enough) encased in a high tech radiation shielding to stop the mook foring it getting burned. The round would break up on impact, delivering a nasty dose of radiation and continuing to do so until the round was entirely removed. But that would be nasty - I might save that one until the PCs are getting especially uppity...