Author Topic: Slave Training Package  (Read 2300 times)

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
Slave Training Package
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »
Slave
Special Background:
A background consisting of spending the majority of adolescence in slavery would produce the following “Standard Hobby Ranks” and require the purchase of the Slave (L) Training Package (the below Standard Hobby Ranks replaces the normal racial hobby ranks).  If the character was enslaved after adolescence use the normal racial Standard Hobby Ranks. 
The use of this group assumes that the character has either been freed or has escaped their servitude.  Additional Training Packages may be purchased during the apprenticeship period to show how the character lived after their escape/release.
Standard Hobby Hanks:  Acting, Adrenal Toughness, Alertness, Animal Handling, Animal Healing, Begging, Body Development, Camouflage, Cooking, Crafts [ceramics, dyeing, enameling, roofer, sail maker, seneschal, spinner, tailoring, valet], Culture Lore [local], Dancing, Diplomacy, Driving, Duping, First Aid, Herding, Hiding, Hiding Items, Horticulture, Language [local], Metal-crafting [blacksmith, foundry, tooler], Midwifery, Mining, Operating Equipment, Play Instrument [simple], Region Lore [local], Rope Mastery, Second Aid, Service, Sewing/Weaving, Singing, Stone-crafting [brick maker, masonry, stone cutter], Tale Telling, any Urban skills, Weight-lifting, Wood-crafting [carpentry, building, lumbering].
Slave (L)
   The character has been kept as a slave for a period.  All special bonuses are related to additional skills developed during this period.  Roll as normal.
Time to Acquire:  48 months
Starting Money:  None
Special:
Mining (3 ranks)                         60
Service (3 ranks)                         60
Operating Equipment (3 ranks)      50
Cooking (3 ranks)                         50
Crafts [any] (3 ranks)                 80
Adrenal Toughness (3 ranks)              30
Scribing (3 ranks)                         0

Category or Skill                  #of ranks
Urban skill category                         0
   Scrounging                            4
Technical/Trade – General skill category   0
   First Aid                                    2
Subterfuge – Stealth skill category      0
   Hiding                                    2
Subterfuge – Mechanics skill category   1
   Hiding Items                                 3
   Camouflage                                 1
Influence skill category                 0
   Duping                                    2
Body Development                         1
Athletic – Strength skill category      0
   Weight-lifting                         1
Artistic – Active skill category               0
   Acting                                    2
   Tale Telling                                 1
Stat Gains:  Constitution, plus one other related to special rolled above (e.g., Strength if Mining was rolled, Presence if Service was rolled, Agility if an appropriate Craft is selected, etc.).
Cost by Profession
Fighter      22   Lay Healer   22
Thief              20   Healer      24
Rogue      20   Mystic      28
Warrior Monk   25   Sorcerer      28
Layman      22   Ranger      25
Magician           28   Paladin      30
Illusionist           26   Monk      25
Cleric      26   Dabbler      28
Animist      24   Bard              26
Mentalist           28   Magent      28

Hope it is of use for others.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Slave Training Package
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
Looks playable.  However, as with the CONVICT tp, I have issues with LIFESTYLE over VOCATION.  On one hand, many people were born and died as slaves, bt player characters tend to fall into the x slave caagory, making it more a vocation.  Likewise, being locked up does not a life long convict make, yet some do live the outlaw life.

A game were all player are slaves...that could be very entertaining.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
The problem is that slavery isn't a fixed set of tasks or training. It's just a social status. There is no common set of skills for a slave, except for picking up some smattering, at least, of the language and culture of the slave's master.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:45 AM »
The problem is that slavery isn't a fixed set of tasks or training. It's just a social status. There is no common set of skills for a slave, except for picking up some smattering, at least, of the language and culture of the slave's master.

I disagree.  If a slave long enough, the person probably will develop some skills rather well.  However, I do agree that there would not be a common set of skills.  That would depend on what the slave is used for: chef, maid, miner, general laborer, livery, smith, etc., etc.

@yama
I agree and disagree.  I can see where a SLAVE tp can be a vocation or lifestyle.  If born to slaves, then it would be a lifestyle.  If captured and forced into slave, then it would be a vocation.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »
Some of those possibilities are already covered by existing training packages. There is a Laborer package, a Servitor package, etc. It seems reasonable to have a package for a "typical" slave background.

That said, I think the combination of doing a significant amount of time in the mines (3 ranks mining, 3 ranks operate machinery) with a significant amount of time as a household servant (3 ranks cooking, 3 ranks service), plus literacy (3 ranks scribing), is a weird combination. I would probably split this into two different TPs with different conceptions. And adrenal toughness is very esoteric, I wouldn't give that to anyone with very intense and specific training. Not just something you pick up by being beaten regularly.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
 If the stat gain was removed from the TP then it could be either a L or a V without a problem. I also might stipulate that the taken of the TP would lose all $ and or equiment acquired before this TP as it was lost to slavery. I also might remove some options after this TP as I found out about St Patrick a few days ago. It was said he was a slave but if that were so he would have no rights and it was common back then for a former slave to be re-enslaved by others. And again it was with in their rights to do so because the slave had no rights. But I guess it depends on your game world and location.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
... And adrenal toughness is very esoteric, I wouldn't give that to anyone with very intense and specific training. Not just something you pick up by being beaten regularly.

Perhaps a new skill?  Pain Tolerance.  Especially if the slave of a sadistic master.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Sloth

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:43:09 AM »
Such skilll already exists. Body Developement..