Author Topic: Hero Lab  (Read 4143 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hero Lab
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:56:46 AM »
As well as RM I play Pathfinder and use a piece software produced by Lone Wolf called "Hero Lab" for PC gen etc. Have to say I would score it 95/100. It's great!

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

Is there any way that the powers that be at ICE would approach Lone Wolf and discuss with them producing a PC gen system for RM under license?

Win win as far as I can see. More money in the ICE coffers and it would make RM more attractive to the increasing number of gamers who now expect this type of software to support their gaming! Anything to improve the profile of RM is good as far as I am concerned.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:14:22 PM by Thom @ ICE »

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hero Lab
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
That does look sharp!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Magistrate

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemaster Office - free PC/NPC RMFRP generator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:49:33 AM »
It looks very professional and I think they could integrate Rolemaster rules and content.

I see some problems:
- They need do do it twice: RM2 and RMFRP (twice the costs)
- RM is more complex and has more data than other game systems (higher costs than other systems)
- the target group is much smaller than other systems (higher risk)
- the program is very expensive with $20
- there are many free (and well working) alternatives for different flavors (Excel, OpenOffice, Java, which is even for Mac and Linux)

How many RM players are there out in the world?
My free java RMFRP character generator RMO (which I would compare to Hero-Lab) has only 220 downloads of the previous version. One impediment is because many players still play RM2 and the rest had never read of it or just don't want it or love their excel from J. Dale.

I don't think, that ICE would sell a single book more if they invest money for this. The alternatives are too good and free.
Give RMO a try: http://rmoffice.sourceforge.net/
Download free PC/NPC RMFRP generator ( Nov 08, 2018 v4.3.18 ): http://rmoffice.sf.net/

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:12 AM »
I think the fundamental reason why spreadsheets rule the RM world is that they are so easy to customize. Almost all RM groups have houserules and a fair number of them (I would believe a majority) affect character creation also. Trying to attract customers for a Rolemaster Character application is hard since there are so diverse ways that people would like to customize the product.   
/Pa Staav

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
For sure no PC gen will be perfect.

But ICE would not necessarily have to invest 1 red cent if they just went for a basic royalty deal.

Yes they would have to spend time to give the White Wolf guys some help and assistance at the start.

In all where's the harm looks like a no brainer to me. Besides it could be set up to allow refs to incorporate certain house rules.

Offline Magistrate

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemaster Office - free PC/NPC RMFRP generator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
@aarcc:
There is an Authoring Kit for Hero Lab, where you can create your own character generator for Rolemaster.
http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=authoring_kit

Have fun (and a lot of work)  ;)
Download free PC/NPC RMFRP generator ( Nov 08, 2018 v4.3.18 ): http://rmoffice.sf.net/

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
Well if I win the lotto and quit work, I'll go for it. However, if Lone Wolf and ICE got together who knows. ;D

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
Hero Lab is a top notch product for the games it supports.  As everyone else said, there is way too many options for RM players.  We all play the core game, but differ on so many options.  I cannot get away from my jdale spreadsheet that is for sure.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »
I love Hero Lab for Pathfinder and would certainly buy any Rolemaster version that was done for it.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
would we approach?  Yes.

would we make it for legacy systems of RM?  No.

would we approach when unified RM is released?  Yes.

would we spend money on it?  No.  Time?  Maybe...but time is money.

We have ERA which not only generates characters but runs the whole shebang for the GM. AND we will likely have other "pretty darn good" homemade generators.

But if the time and cost are manageable and lone wolf for up to it, we would do it.

Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline Winged1

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
I am a avid user of Hero Labs for other game systems and it is expensive and you get what you pay for.  The data files are in XML (wonder if the ones from ERA would work) and it comes with a Authoring kit for making the forms and scripts.  I have taken a class on the Authoring kit and while modifying or copying a existing skill or Race for a system is relatively easy creating a system from scratch would be a whole different story.

The big advantage for me to create a Rolemaster version in Hero Labs (besides ease of use for the players) is the integration into their Realm Works system which is good now and will be great when they start publishing content for it.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
They have classes for the Authoring Kit?  I attempted to finish a D6 Star Wars character generator but gave up.  It was close but there were a few things I just couldn't get to work right.  And it's a much simpler system than Rolemaster.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Winged1

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »
The class was at Pazio Con 2014.  It was by Lone Wolf and it was aimed at modifying existing content although they said they do produce content using the kit.