Author Topic: SPAM Classic ?  (Read 8399 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
SPAM Classic ?
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Any chance of a Spacemaster Classic version of SM2 ? I want a updated version of SM2 to complement RMC.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: SPAM Classic ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »
Any chance of a Spacemaster Classic version of SM2 ? I want a updated version of SM2 to complement RMC.

No current plans.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »
On a related note, any demand for a SMSS/SMSFRPG?  (i.e. something that is not the Humans-in-funny-suits-themed Privateers)?

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
On a related note, any demand for a SMSS/SMSFRPG?  (i.e. something that is not the Humans-in-funny-suits-themed Privateers)?

Great idea, if you ask me - I would buy such a product without any hesitation. :)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »
SM:P is the RMSS-isation of the SM2 rules.

Do you meet the revivification of a setting like SM2? It's a very different setting, but the original one is tied up with the IP of the Silent Death universe, which was sold to a third party ...

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
I had a setting out line published in The Guild Companion a few years back.  It's entitled The Covenant Generation and I think it was March 2007.

The brief run down would be an expanding inner sphere centered on Terra is comming back into contact with early disadent colonies and alien empires are forming stiff boundaries leading to a rise in tensions all around.
The races include -
The Gryph - feathered raptors with a flight fetish.
The Dagonites - eight limbed ancient race from a toxic world with a dense atmosphere.
The Glimmers - cold blooded chameleon chasers resembling a greyhound cross bred with a jet engine.
The Sheth - a large hairy race of reducing scavengers (that's not a mouth on their head it's a huge third eye, they're actually trilateral)
The Inheritors of Gnar - human decended race modified by a now extinct race of parasitic geneticists.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »
March 2003, 2007 was The Spacemaster Accelerator.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
Well, the campaign setting of SM:P does not appeal to me so much. Since I read a lot of appraisingly comments concerning the setting of SM2, I am a bit more interested in that one.

Did I understand you correctly that the SM2-setting is now used by/for Silent Death???

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
Well, it's the SM2 setting after the Nightbrood tear down the empire and grind its bones to fine powder leaving only the vestigal remains of the old houses intact.

Really I've always been surprised that the SM2 fans weren't as deeply offended by this apocalyse as the Traveller fans were by the one in The New Era.

The basic story is that the grubs were always everywhere only more or less dormant and being psychic a sufficiently major battle woke them up at which point they killed people until the level of violence died off a bit and then went more or less dormant again.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
The SM 2 setting may need some description.

It's a science fiction empire with lots of transhuman races that might be mistaken for aliens but are still at their base, humans from Earth.  The aliens are quite alien and less common.  A number of major houses contend for imperial power with a church of information acting as a power broker and ftl communications monopoly.  Energy weapons and personal shields are common and ftl is fast and common enough that it's found on shuttlecraft.

So roughly a Star Trek level of technology, coupled with transhumanism and an imperialistic setting with a few trappings of Dune thrown in.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Well, it's the SM2 setting after the Nightbrood tear down the empire and grind its bones to fine powder leaving only the vestigal remains of the old houses intact.

Really I've always been surprised that the SM2 fans weren't as deeply offended by this apocalyse as the Traveller fans were by the one in The New Era.

The basic story is that the grubs were always everywhere only more or less dormant and being psychic a sufficiently major battle woke them up at which point they killed people until the level of violence died off a bit and then went more or less dormant again.

That's probably because the SM2 fans didn't look at the Silent Death stuff. The Nightbrood and the rest is not part of the Spacemaster Timeline from any Spacemaster book, it's part of the timeline found in Silent Death. ( be it Metal Express or not )

Silent Death is a totally different kind of game compared to a Roleplaying Game. But in my particular case yes it got me unhappy.

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
On the one hand steady state settings are as dull as a hammer.  On the other hand there were a suspicious number of games going all post apocalyptic at the time.

I've always thought the Grubs were the Snee or at least the Snee were Grubs if you see what I mean.  So they were there all a long.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:29:57 AM »
Thank you very much for your enlightening replies and comments.  :)

Do the SM2 .pdf-books on RPGnow.com contain the original campaign setting? I could not find any information in the description of those products, suggesting that it is contained. Looks like it is a rules set without a campaign setting, similar to RMFRP. ???

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
It’s not really separated. The rules books assumes the setting is used, so races, professions, psion  and technology etc are all written for the setting.
The GM book contains the setting description.

-Terry

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »

Do the SM2 .pdf-books on RPGnow.com contain the original campaign setting? I could not find any information in the description of those products, suggesting that it is contained. Looks like it is a rules set without a campaign setting, similar to RMFRP. ???

The SM2 pdf books do contain info about the Imperium setting, and as you might expect the various modules contain additional material.

As far as GCP is concerned, the Silent Death timeline and associated stuff is not considered canonical for the Spacemaster rpg. Essentially as far as GCP is concerned, the Silent Death timeline does not exist and will not be brought into existence. Which means that in the future, we will be willing to contemplate proposals for new products set in the Imperium universe.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
IIRC Silent Death and/or Metal Express has been licensed/sold by ICE to Cryptic Studio ( again faint memory, too lazy to dig into the mailing lists archives ) just before the initial bankruptcy ?

Which might explain Nicholas post. ( and yeah for such a statement, I've never been fond of the huge upheaval generated by Silent Death, while it was clear from the campaigns and the adventures that the Andrium was to SM Universe what Spice is to Dune Universe. )
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
huh...I wonder what the legalities of that are?  Does the shared setting give Cryptic any ownership of the aspects of the setting coming from prior works?  I doubt they'll notice or care but still that's interesting.

I suspect the SM2 setting would be better accepted than the Privateers setting anyhow.  I'm pretty used to my preferences being in the minority around here.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
 IMHO I think it go's between between the two depending on the fans at the time.

Having said that I can say that I am working on a setting for a game right now that is more in line with the old SM2 setting with a focus on humans and some trans-humans in SM2 speak until something occurs and then some more alien type races will be introduced.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

The SM2 pdf books do contain info about the Imperium setting, and as you might expect the various modules contain additional material.

As far as GCP is concerned, the Silent Death timeline and associated stuff is not considered canonical for the Spacemaster rpg. Essentially as far as GCP is concerned, the Silent Death timeline does not exist and will not be brought into existence. Which means that in the future, we will be willing to contemplate proposals for new products set in the Imperium universe.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Thank goodness.  I liked Silent Death the game a lot; it was far more fast-paced that Star Strike, and I thought the basic mechanics would probably scale well if they ever scaled up to larger capital ships.  I really disliked the setting, though, and felt they should have just started from scratch rather than artificially torch the old setting with--of all things--bugs that go nuts when war happens nearby.

I disliked the setting in SM:P even more.  Way too many humans in funny suits instead of real aliens.  I felt the original SM setting had "alien" aliens, and the Aliens & Artifacts sourcebook was fantastic.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
I agree with all who agree the new SM Privateers setting is not that great.  I much preferred the SM2 Imperium style setting.

In the Terran Star Empire, although there are a total of 13 species, humans dominate the others and hold 57% of all Consulate Senate seats, having 769 of the 1349 seats.  Seats are based on ownership of planets, meaning that humans founded and own 769 of the 1349 planets in the Terran Star Empire.

Although there are 7 major interstellar empires, they are now all fighting for their very survival in a war against the Enigman Invaders.  Due to this war, many are learning cooperation is much better than the previous state of war (or at least state of antagonism) that existed.

Excepting the Snekra, of course.  They are so alien to all the others that they will always view other species as something between a nuisance and food.

The Seven
Terran Star Empire
Federation of Urgon Hegemonies
Confederation of Inorian Emirates
Snekra Dynasty
Khryshyn Concordion
Nebulonic Potentate
The Cornite Aggression

Then again, like me, every last player in our game are Star Trek fans and always like the antagonism that always existed between the Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, Gorn, Cardassians, etc., etc.  (I am also a big Star Wars, Babylon 5, and Stargate fan.)

However, I do have to be fair and say we all agreed that the setting Defendi wrote for SM Privateers was interesting.  However, no one wanted to use it either.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.