Author Topic: Comments?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Comments?
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
This is a quote from an RPG review I read recently:

With the popularity of PC games and MMOs, it seems that more and more role-players are looking for a system which can be fast and fun to play as their computer gaming experience, but with the social elements that only gathering round a gaming table can provide.

What do you think?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Comments?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
I think that that is roughly accurate. There has been a general trend, over the last several years, moving towards simpler, faster systems.

That sort of reasoning was part of the reasoning, to one degree or another, behind a number of projects that I worked on, including but not limited to HARP, RMX, and my latest project (see my sig).

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
I even see myself getting frustrated with the pace of RM combat from time to time.  The realism is awesome, but my "math muscles" are a little flabby.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
There are numerous options within the ICE family of games which don't require significant mathematics on the fly. House rules and optional rules modifications abound for ways to avoid doing the dreaded 2 and 3-digit addition/subtraction.  I'm not a big fan myself of the aspects of the system that include multiplication and % adjustments - but there are plenty of people who enjoy those also. Generally speaking HARP is a simpler mathematically than RM (in any of the versions), but there are aspects of it that still can be complex for on the fly calculations. 

There is also a lot going on behind the scenes, and some of it will hopefully address the concerns raised in that review.  We're all here to enjoy what ICE games offer to role-players - and in the future we'll be bringing more and more to the gaming table for them to enjoy.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
I think that is accurate.  My own situation has forced me away from RM/Harp.  Time is the biggest factor now & immediate impact and playability have been drawing me towards other systems.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
This is a quote from an RPG review I read recently:

With the popularity of PC games and MMOs, it seems that more and more role-players are looking for a system which can be fast and fun to play as their computer gaming experience, but with the social elements that only gathering round a gaming table can provide.

What do you think?

I agree that this may be the trend right now but having played in a few of these fast and fun type stories they lost there flair quite quickly. In most fast and fun systems it is hard to differentiate some factors of the game for me. For example in White Wolf games your ST dots and weapon dots mean the same thing for a melee weapon, also to make it worse you simply add the weapon base dice to that total. So how do you replicate weapons made of superior metals? Or craftsmanship? Or magic? By adding 1 die to the total die pool. The same thing as adding an additional dot to ST or weapon skill. In a system like Savage Worlds I have found the same to be true in that they sacrifice a lot to have the fast and fun title. For me I need a wider range of values to represent the stories and all of it color that I like to tell. I also think that as technology progresses and the game industry catches up the perceived hardness can be hidden.
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
I also think that as technology progresses and the game industry catches up the perceived hardness can be hidden.

Yeah, that. When you get it to the point where all you need is a die roll and the GM's "situational mods" for that particular action, and the rest of the number crunching does itself, it won't be a problem.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
I've wished ICE would create a comprehensive, extensible software suite for running the game.  Forget pretty maps: just give me character generation, encumbrance calculations, combat results, etc.  If it's extensible, sell Companions as "add-on modules".

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
We actual have multiple individuals under license to create their own software to support the games.  More information to come when we get some stuff to share....
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
My friends and I oft joke about being in the retirement home sitting in front of a virtual table top with true visual representation of the situation portrayed as a hologram.  That's when online gaming will meet table top gaming in a format that has the advantages of both.  We just have to grow old first! heh
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
We just have to grow old first!

Been there, done that. I'm still waiting...   ;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
I've wished ICE would create a comprehensive, extensible software suite for running the game.  Forget pretty maps: just give me character generation, encumbrance calculations, combat results, etc.  If it's extensible, sell Companions as "add-on modules".
Just so long as I can edit it, I am all for it. The virtual table top mentioned below would be fantastic!! (And a dream of mine for several years - wish I had the tech skills to get it done.......*sigh*......)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
Have a virtual tabletop for every basic game you sell, and sell "expansion packs"?

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
I've seen at least one MMO player turn to traditional RPGs instead because of their flexibility and personal involvement. Also, I didn't use a game that used drawing in MMOers as one of its design goals. So I'd say it can go both ways.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
Whether it's an actual design goal or not, it makes sense (to me at least) to look at the strong points of other forms of gaming and see if it works to incorporate something similar into your own designs. Regardless of how MMOers feel about it, streamlining the number crunching and making it so that having the mechanics be as"invisible" as possible is at least an option for those who want it.... to me, that's just good sense.

Whether MMOers like it or not has no effect on whether it'd be appreciated by tabletop RPGers, except where they're the same people... at least, so far as I can tell. Being neither a business type nor an MMOer myself, I'll admit that the above is basically guesswork.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
I get that the RM rules set isn't the biggest money maker out there, but I think, if it is behind the scenes (like in a computer program for an MMO) it wouldn't be a problem. In fact, it would be a plus, I believe. The main reason - as far as I have learned/heard - as to why RM isn't a big as D&D  is the perceived complexity (other than the fact that D&D is, well, D&D). If the majority of that is unnoticeable, then I think the realism of combat will appeal to more players than the tabletop does, simply because they don't have to do the record keeping and math that goes along with the tabletop version.

Plus, for me, it would just be cool to actually see Andraax and listen to his craziness...  :o  Of course, this is only if the RM MMO is set in Kulthea - which it definitely should be.  >:( (If it ever happens........)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
I don't think realism appeals to mmo players, at least not the majority.

Talking to a programmer/play tester for WoW just last month, and his complaint was that players are less willing to suffer inconvienence.  Story archs have to be brazenly declared and not discovered with difficulty and long archs are not appreciated by what he described as the "typical player."  Comments were also shared about how often it was to kill players, respawning, difficulty of monsters, etc.  All in all, his gripe was they were forced to make the game easier.

It is my experience that many, many players are very happy to kick in the door, kill everything and never truely be challenged.  In fact, "truely challenged" means taking about half your hits, or one really good blow, before dismissing the bad guy with sword and spell.  This is why DnD is so very popular.  The later editions in particular are hopelessly stacked in favor of the PC's, and players, hell, EVERYBODY, prefers to win.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »
I don't think realism appeals to mmo players, at least not the majority.

Talking to a programmer/play tester for WoW just last month, and his complaint was that players are less willing to suffer inconvienence.  Story archs have to be brazenly declared and not discovered with difficulty and long archs are not appreciated by what he described as the "typical player."  Comments were also shared about how often it was to kill players, respawning, difficulty of monsters, etc.  All in all, his gripe was they were forced to make the game easier.

It is my experience that many, many players are very happy to kick in the door, kill everything and never truely be challenged.  In fact, "truely challenged" means taking about half your hits, or one really good blow, before dismissing the bad guy with sword and spell.  This is why DnD is so very popular.  The later editions in particular are hopelessly stacked in favor of the PC's, and players, hell, EVERYBODY, prefers to win.
Yeah, I guess I can see that. And I guess, I have a bit of that too, just that my brain doesn't do too well with the more abstract rules, it just doesn't make sense to me that you have to be a rogue/thief to be able to do more damage to someone by attacking from surprise. Because I know that if anyone now, here, today, on Earth (I am assuming anywhere and any when in the "real" universe here, as well) can hurt someone else more by attacking them from behind/surprise. Which is why I like RM and games like it, that have more realistic rules to reflect these things. Also, I like to problem solve, and to me, a problem could be how to deal with the 5 orc guards without getting killed or wounded enough that you wish you had been killed - and not wake the rest of the orc tribe...... very important that.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:59:39 AM by RandalThor »

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:56 AM »
...it just doesn't make sense to me that you have to be a rogue/thief to be able to do more damage to someone by attacking from surprise. Because I know that if anyone now, here, today, on Earth (I am assuming anywhere and any when in the "real" universe here, as well) can hurt someone else more by attacking them from behind/surprise. Which is why I like RM and games like it, that have more realistic rules to reflect these things.

The thing that made me switch to RM back in the day was that I couldn't accept the idea of an old human fighter, who'd gotten old by not being surprised, was always going to be more likely to be surprised than 1st level Elf thief, and there wasn't anything he could do about it, ever.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
Grumpy, Randal, youre preaching to the chior!!!

8)

RM is my fav.  I found MERP in the early 80's and picked up RM as soon as I found it.  RQ was the system for me before that for the same reasons.

RM players are a different breed, thats just a fact.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.