Author Topic: Full Armor weight and ABTP weight  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Eriol

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Full Armor weight and ABTP weight
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:59 AM »
i've just noticed that the minimum total weight of a full armor assembled with single pieces (ABTP rules) is a little greater than the minimum weight of corresponding full armor set.
i.e. adding the weight of soft leather pieces (from equipment list) needed to form a full soft leather armor (i'm using pauldrons and cuirass, than excluded shirt), i obtain a total weight of  12,5-15lbs,  instead the full set of soft leather weight 10-20lbs

this is correct i think, because a full set can optimize joint and overlap of armor pieces, than a -good- full armor can weight less than equivalent armor builded with single pieces.
Maximum weight of full set armor instead  is greater than maximum weight of ABTP equivalent.... and this is a first questionable point.

but... the main question is another...
verifing other type of armor, i noticed that full set of Chain/Plate armor and Plate armor are much more heavy than full ABTP equivalent:

-a full chain/plate armor assembled with ABTP rules, weight only 35-43lbs (shirt not included)
-a full set of chain/plate weight 55-70lbs!

-a full plate armor assembled with ABTP rules, weight only 39-47 lbs (shirt not included)
-a full set of plate armor weight 60-85lbs!

this seem very strange.. is there an error?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Full Armor weight and ABTP weight
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:45 AM »
The Armor By the Piece rules were originally to be in Martial Law - they were pulled out of it and inserted into HARP Revised (the 192-page book). I suspect that this is a place where some of the weights coming from the original 160-page book of HARP core were not double-checked.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
Good catch...

Offline Eriol

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »
Good catch...

i think that was not so difficult to notice... i'm very surprised that no one noticed before...

however i'have noticed another thing about ABTP "design"...

all pieces give same DB... except the cuirass, that give the DB of other pieces x3

i.e. if foot piece give 2DB, then legs piece, pauldrons, etc... all give 2DB, instead cuirass give 6db
then, if we want obtain a damage location table from this data, we can say this:
head, foots, neck, legs, shoulders,and hands: has 11% chance to receive hits (tot. 66%)
torso+abdomen (and back)  has 33% chance to hit (adjusted to 34% so we have a total of 100%)

(i "played" with this numbers just cause i'm trying to make a house rule for localized critical damage, and then this data can be a "official" source for this..)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:29:09 AM by Eriol »

Offline Eriol

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:28:10 AM »
The Armor By the Piece rules were originally to be in Martial Law - they were pulled out of it and inserted into HARP Revised (the 192-page book). I suspect that this is a place where some of the weights coming from the original 160-page book of HARP core were not double-checked.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

i understand... however i noticed this error on my HARP italian version (by redglove), then this error was "preserved" in translation  :(

...and... can we have the right weights? There will be an errata about this?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
I'll have to work them out first! Once worked out, they will become one of the tweaks for the book and an issued errata.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme