Author Topic: Not Stupid Question Since Asked  (Read 2237 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Not Stupid Question Since Asked
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
As the old saying goes: The only stupid question is one that goes unasked.

I have a Stellar System Generator that I wrote starting way back in 1983, that I was inspired to rewrite.

It is basically free of cost but does have some Creative Commons licensing.  It also includes some mini-apps that will do some calculations for you.  It is a system independent generator, instead relying on astrophysics to aid in the generation.

Yes, I know of Astrosynthesis.  However, those people still have not been able to deliver a workable copy.  I am assuming it is $35 lost on a worthless peice of software.

Currently, my SSG is paper and pencil, but I hope to create a Web Interface to do most of calculations for you with Javascript.  I have always wanted to revive this project, but thought it lost after the death of me family.  I recently went through some old, ancient file boxes and found it.  Unbelievably, it was a hand-written copy I found.  And you would not believe how fragile the paper was.

Enough ranting.  Where can I publish this thing.  I thought about the GCP, but since I want it to be free-of-charge, I thought GCP would not be the greatest choice.  ICE I felt was worse since they want to suck away my copyright..., well..., sorry ICE.  (I have not read the new copyright thing since the changeover.)  Plus, I have not been at these forums for quite a few years.  Plus, I have not truly checked out the copyright issues at GCP either.  For ICE, I am going on old printouts from about 10 or more years ago.

Currently, there is a link over at RRP to download it.  The zip file is a package that includes the PDF, mini-apps, others.

Do I just simply start a new topic here?

Thanks.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Not Stupid Question Since Asked
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
Hello arakish,

My solution is to contact Defendi and the new partners directly to get the right information. If both parties say okay follow the steps and upload to the appropriate ICE page.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »
I would agree with the above info that snrdg051306.

To publish it by yourself I think it will just cost some $ and some way to distribute it. I also was taken aback at the old ICE disclaimer about them reading anything and gaining the ability to use it in any way they see it.

I hope it goes well and let people know here how it goes.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
Arakish,
I am a bit lost on this idea.

If there is no ICE material involved you can go to any publisher, or even publish it yourself.
If there is ICE material than licensing is required.

If you want ICE to publish it then you will need to discuss it with us and see if there is interest - and we'll need to discuss how the IP rights are handled. 

If you want GCP to handle it that is fine also - simply contact Nicholas with your proposal.

Posting the link to your download is fine, and you can feel free to upload it to the vault or send it to The Guild Companion and they can publish it as a future article.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Boy communication is a great way to solve issues.
MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:57:16 AM »
Just found out why I cannot use GCP.  Below is straight copy and paste from GCP.

Copyright and Compensation Information

As The Guild Companion is currently a free magazine, we do not provide monetary compensation to our contributors. Hence the copyright of any submission remains with the author or artist concerned. Nevertheless, in order to publish your contribution, we need you to grant us First Time Worldwide Serial Rights and provide us with your name and address. Note that granting us First Time Worldwide Serial Rights does not prevent you from later selling other rights such as Second Time Worldwide Rights, etc., to other publishers but you must inform them of prior publication with us.

Since I have already published a package link at Real Role Playing forum boards, this means I cannot use GCP.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
For clarity, TGC = The Guild Companion = the magazine. GCP Ltd is Guild Companion Publications = the company.

Both of you (Thom and arakish) meant TGC in this case. It does get confusing, I know.

Anyways, speaking as the former general editor of TGC, the requests for First Time Worldwide Serial Rights is much more concerned about multiple-publishing of articles with TGC, other ezines and in commercial format. The current editorial team are equally unlikely to be stressed about you having a version on a link on RealRoleplaying, especially since the editing process will almost certainly add some sort of wrapper article to the package. Send an email to the new TGC editorial team at guild-edit at silent-tower dot org

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
For clarity, TGC = The Guild Companion = the magazine. GCP Ltd is Guild Companion Publications = the company.

Sorry.  And thanks for the clarification.

Also thanks for clarifying the First Time Worldwide Serial Rights.

Another question: I never found any info on article size.  My current SSG is about 110 pages.  What is the maximum size?

rmfr

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »
  IMHO also a size in MB would be helpful to them as well. Sometimes pages mean nothing especially if it has a lot of art or screen shots.
 They might also write a review of your program and have a pointer/link to your actual program.

I do not work for the TGC or anybody but I have done some stuff with ISP's/homepages and other stuff as a friend of mine owns his own ISP.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
110 pages may be able to be broken down into separate chapters, published in pieces across multiple months in TGC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
In a ZIP file, the entire package, which includes the PDF, a normal-sized graphic of the HR diagram (the PDF has a slightly reduced sized one), and four apps, and current VS10 runtime library, is 6922KB.

Never thought of breaking it apart into separate chapters, but that could work.  Only problem I see is how to include the apps.

I'll get touch with GCP if I can ever remember to do so.  Still so busy that I need 72 hours in a day.  But who doesn't?

rmfr

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Just a reminder -
GCP - Guild Companion Pub. is the commercial operations run by Nicholas Caldwell.  This would be to sell the material.

TGC - The Guild Companion is the volunteer run rpg fan-zine.

I think you are intending to send to TGC, but just wanted to be clear.  Good luck with it either way.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
I guess I just can't keep 'em straight.  :o

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
Just wanted to thank all who replied.

TGC is going to publish the SSG in five parts.  Knew it would be anyway.

Again, thanks to all who replied for the help.

rmfr

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Congratulation arakish
Tom R

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
Cool, when will it come out?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »
TGC just published the first part this month.

And I am still working on the application.

rmfr