Author Topic: Strength of Magical Weapons  (Read 1638 times)

Offline darksilver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Strength of Magical Weapons
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:42:01 PM »
Just wondered if I'm missing something here. On p46 of RMSS Treasure Companion, the equation to calculate strength of magic weapons states:-
Strength=1.5x[average strength for weapon type+material strength bonus+weight modifier+superior construction modifier]

The example given, using a +15 magic broadsword  at 90% weight from white alloy, is calculated thus:-
Strength=1.5x[80+15-10+20]
The total given is 88, whereas I would get 158.
Is this a typo or am I missing something?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Strength of Magical Weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
My TreasCo #5811 has the same thing on pg 48.
But, yeah, I think it's a typo. I get 157.5; same as you.
Unless I missed it too..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
It means that magical weapons break very, very rarely.  You can still break them by rolling 01-05 then having a high 2nd roll...  Keep in mind some foes modify breakage check, some golem types among other things, and there is still a chance to break them on a Large or Super Large critical.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
And yes, I love Treasure Companion for its depth, but one area where the authors had issues was when it came to getting their arithmetics correctly.  There are plenty of magical items whose prices cannot be computed as written, and then there are items giving a +7 bonus when spells give either +6 or +8, lol.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:19:37 AM »
… and then there are items giving a +7 bonus when spells give either +6 or +8, lol.

In a game where players can research spells, there is nothing wrong with having things like that. NPCs too can research spells.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
… and then there are items giving a +7 bonus when spells give either +6 or +8, lol.

In a game where players can research spells, there is nothing wrong with having things like that. NPCs too can research spells.

I dont mind if in your own campaign, you decide to research "General III and a half" that gives a +7 to category rather than +6 from General III or +8 from General IV.  But it mostly shows how well the Treasure Companion has been proofread.  It typically goes like the above exemple:  I give you a formula that says A*B will give you X.  But you end up with Z, like in the strenght exemple above.  Likewise, there are exemples of moments where an item is crafted(by level, time and cost) pretty straightforward with a General II spell, that would give you +10 to a particular skill, or +4 to a category, for exemple.  And you read the description and it gives a +10 to a skill category, which youd need General V to do (lvl 60 spell vs General II, level 10 spell).  The book is very fine, mind you, but some items are just out of line with the product in that regards.